User Tag List

123 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Default What's it like to be a Thinker?

Since we have one for Feelers, I thought it's only fair to do the reverse.

So what's it like to be a Thinker? What goes on while you're making a decision? I refuse to believe there's nothing there. You can prove me wrong though. I'm here to be enlightened.

Modifying Tallulah's set of questions:

1) What goes on in your mind when you're thinking? How would you describe it?
    2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?
    3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?
    4) Anything else you feel like sharing.

MBTI
    INTj

No clue.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I Intuit that they Think more than they Feel...

As for your questions, I'll have to get back to you on that...I'm very scattered this evening.

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default It's AWESOME!

1) What goes on in your mind when you're thinking? How would you describe it? Like watching the swirling debris in a tornado, and each little bit of debris is information and you have to snatch out the pertinent bits without being distracted by the chaos.

2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked? %95 logic and facts %5 feeling and emotions that I don't listen to or trust anyway. No such thing as over-thinking, there is always more and it would be like trying to stop the tornado with my bare hands, which would be pretty cool!

3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others? For me to understand it it is usually automatic, some things are more complex and involve more thinking of course, explaining it to someone who doesn't process similarly? Time consuming and frustrating usually.

4) Anything else you feel like sharing. I don't like sharing
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Have you ever taken a paint brush and splattered paint against a wall? It's sort of like that. Many ideas just splattering everywhere while I frantically try to build the connections between them. They light up like fireflies in my mind. If the process runs smoothly, I become very animated and excited; if it's not, I close down and look for a thicker paint brush (so to speak).

2) How much does logic weigh in on your decisions and how much do feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?

I sort of don't understand the premise of this question. If I use logic to conclude something or come to a decision -- why bother with my feelings about it? The logic can be demonstrated to be correct. Whether or not I personally find it agreeable or not is beside the point -- if I don't like it, too bad; it's logically right.

If the decision turns out to be arbitrary, then I'll probably use me feelings on it, because then it doesn't really matter.

As to over-thinking: When I start running in circles and come up with nothing significant or new. Then I know it's time to harvest more data to play with.

3) How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?

My thinking is very visual/symbolic/nonverbal so there's a definite translation process, however I've become pretty good at communicating my thought processes (or at least I think I have) to most people.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Nothing spectacular, simply progression from one thought to another, although certainly not in a structured way. I think with words, so it's like there's always a silent conversation going on in my head. Sometimes there's multiple voices, arguing different points of view (but they're always controlled, I don't have schizophrenia or anything).

2) How much does logics weight in on your decisions and how much does feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?
    I use logical though processes do determine what would be best for my feelings, but I try not to let the actual feelings take much of a role in my decision making. However, they do tend to do so, and when I'd profit more from studying or something, I let my feelings of laziness take over and I decide to procrastinate instead.

There's a lot of stuff I just know and understand, so in my thought processes, I usually skip around quite a bit and don't go over every step. So when I communicate my ideas to others, I have trouble remembering to fill in the stuff that I already understood.

4) Anything else you feel like sharing.
    Yes. That red dancing smiley with the sunglasses really sucks, and I want it off my screen.

MBTI
    INTP

My brain is always "on," and it's like constant background noise. I'm always processing something, even if it's on the back burner while I'm doing something else. I'm usually trying to solve a problem or figure out how I could get better at something. Sometimes it seems like a little burst of inspiration, maybe? Like an epiphany will come to me, and it's a combination of a thought and a gut feeling, or a moment of clarity. If I'm watching tv, I'm probably on some level filing information away for later or figuring out if I can apply it to any current situation. I'm always on the lookout for new information. As an INTP, I'm always scanning the environment for information and clues, searching, I suppose for the ultimate truth. Whatever that is.

2) How much does logic weigh in on your decisions and how much do feelings come into play? How do you determine whether you've over-thinked?
    Logic is EVERYTHING. I have feelings, and I take them into account. I take other people's feelings into account, as well. But ultimately, the most important thing is the thing that is the best solution and makes the most sense overall. Sometimes decisions will involve hurting people's feelings. I don't take other people's feelings on in any major way; I can't handle that. I try to do the best I can with what I have, and remain as objective as I can. I know I'm overthinking when I can actually feel my brain getting tired, and I know I'm not getting any clear solutions. Also, sometimes I'm aware that I'm clinging to logic as a way to avoid situations that make me uncomfortable.

How easily can you go through the steps you've taken to arrive at a conclusion? Is it automatic? Or does it involve some translation to get it into a form understandable by others?
    Usually pretty automatic. I generally kind of backburner it and let my brain chew on it until an answer presents itself. My brain tends to organize things naturally. I try to explain things in concrete, simple terms, but when it's a thing that's hard to put into words, like this process, I feel like I'm not doing a very good job explaining. Sometimes I'm bad about not giving enough detail, b/c I assume everyone's on the same page. Probably because the conclusion seems SO logical to me, that surely everyone already arrived at the same conclusion.

I'm sure there's LOTS of stuff I'm leaving out.

MBTI
    INTP

I had a curious experience today. I went into HR looking for someone in particular, and I went back to the kind on enclave where all the HR people sit. I though, "Huh, Paige is looking unusually attractive today." I just kind of stood there for a few seconds staring at her. I turned my attention away to look for Christine, and only when I took a second look did I realize I was not looking at Paige. It was another girl, Dawn--who I happen to like. Dawn was just sitting in Paige's place--about two feet in front of me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I might say more later, too tired right now...

... One thing that sucks is when someone is hurting but I can't give them the sympathy they want. I can try to fake it but it really sounds fake, like there's no heart in it even if all the words are modeled correctly.

All I can give them authentically is a cold stupid assessment of their situation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Not clouded by emotions. It takes more to shake us.