User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Confident person and a job interview

.. I think this spells trouble for me. I'm not going around throwing my confidence at people's faces. Still, I hate it when the job interviewers can't often relax in my interviews. They seem anxious, worried, etc.

Career adviser recommended me the general careers of an independent expert and some kind of management positions, and I'm in the former kind of job right now.

We're still waiting for the customers to make their minds up with our projects, so there isn't too much work to be done at the moment. I'm seeking some other jobs at the moment, for additional income.

I'm wondering if the interviewers discriminate against me if I'm really more of an expert or a leader person, applying for a job at a lower level. I'm being myself all the time, and at least my clients are very happy to work with me.

Do the interviewers consider me ill-suited for a lower position? Do you think it's most a function of confidence, non-submissiveness or similar traits?

How can a confident, non-submissive person communicate (verbally and non-verbally) that they can work in a position where they're the lowest of the low?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

LOL Yeah I get this one too - it's like, I'm the one in the hot seat, I'm the one supposed to be nervous, but the guys who are meant to be grilling me look more nervous than I am! That often actually makes me feel nervous, like I've got to somehow put them at ease and help them relax so they'll like me.

It can go either way though... sometimes you can use it to your advantage to get them to agree to things they might not otherwise, sorta bamboozle them but make sure you get in writing whatever it is they say in case they try to back out later when they come to their senses

I also used to always get turned down for low rung jobs, for the same reason. Imagine what it does to a person's esteem to get turned down by MacDonald's!! lol I think if anything, though we've been talking about high self monitoring skills and adapting to an audience, this is the quality I find the hardest to mask, just simple confidence and natural leadership. When they want a grunt they can push around who will just do the job and not rock the boat or try to change anything, the last thing they want to be faced with is an ENTP!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    That often actually makes me feel nervous, like I've got to somehow put them at ease and help them relax so they'll like me.
    My thoughts exactly.
    It can go either way though... sometimes you can use it to your advantage to get them to agree to things they might not otherwise ..
    Have to get the job first
    I think if anything, though we've been talking about high self monitoring skills and adapting to an audience, this is the quality I find the hardest to mask, just simple confidence and natural leadership. When they want a grunt they can push around who will just do the job and not rock the boat or try to change anything, the last thing they want to be faced with is an ENTP!
    Dead on

Ok I'm already thinking up. Perhaps I could emulate non-confidence a bit, or reveal confidence gradually... and state only a one or few reasons for confidence at a time, seeing if there are follow-up questions. Too much info is too much.

I could also assure them with strong reasons that I really need the job, so that I won't be able to find a better one. I think there's a sweet spot somewhere, at the level of jobs that I can get, but no better than that.

But.. but.. I was also not invited to some part-time cleaning jobs I had applied to few months ago. We joked with my friends to hide most of my resume and to invent a fictional personal history with time in jail and homelessness :yim_rolling_on_the_
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes, I was told by a friend years ago when I didn't get the job at MacDonald's that it must've been because I didn't have the required severity of acne

Well I guess shyness or whatever can be acted, like anything else I suppose. But it's sorta counterintuitive to what they tell you at school when they prep you for careers and job interviews, about making sure you appear clean and smart and confident and competent and everything - I figure y'know, that's me without trying, so it should be in the bag. But of course it isn't, because in the low jobs that isn't what they want to see.

Humility actually, if you've worked on it (cos NT's do have to work on it to have any lol), and if you have any (lol) then make sure you show it big time. Cos I think they don't even mind a smart guy as long as they don't feel threatened by you. Showing a sorta humility and even deference can go some way towards assuring them of that.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Well I guess shyness or whatever can be acted, like anything else I suppose.
    But of course it isn't, because in the low jobs that isn't what they want to see.
    Yep, sounds like a question of find-it-and-fake-it.
    Humility actually, if you've worked on it (cos NT's do have to work on it to have any lol), and if you have any then make sure you show it big time(lol)
    ok, I should exercise humility more, and understand that many of my interviewers haven't got as good credentials behind them, especially if they're young. I should keep the pace a bit slower and tone it down, and let them calm down after receiving something big. If the papers I have show some good stuff, I can afford to tone my style down.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

There isn't enough information to give a half-way sensical opinion but it could be that they feel threatened. That could be because they fear you taking their job or one of their friend's jobs.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    There isn't enough information to give a half-way sensical opinion but it could be that they feel threatened. That could be because they fear you taking their job or one of their friend's jobs.
    No there isn't, I just told anyway to see if someone immediately caught up about what's it all about And they did, props sub!

I've been skeptical against the common explanation of them fearing for their jobs. I've thought more that an independent, able person isn't manageable by standard management theory and not controllable and predictable by standard capitalistic theory. I mean, if he's not to be exploited, what's the use of him?

I'm exaggerating, I'm an ardent supporter of free capitalism.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Not much info was needed for a 'takes one to know one' ENTP with a strong Enneagram 8 thing goin' on

MBTI
    ENTJ

Not much info was needed for a 'takes one to know one' ENTP with a strong Enneagram 8 thing goin' on
    I've thought of compiling a list of 7w8.. me, you, whatever, fdg, and was alcearos that as well? Recently I've thought I get 7w8's better than ENTPs.. no no, I'm not switching camps to that enneagram belief quite yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah... being an 8 in a low rung job sucks monkeys bad enough, but I think it might be worse still being a 7w8 cos well, maybe 8 has the focus to grit his teeth until he works his way up, but the 7w8 just like, is gonna wet the rug if he doesn't get to give this brilliant idea to the boss like right NOW, and get all these great changes and improvements put in place and like, why do I have to do everything by the rules dammit, and keep following these schmucks when I could do it way better??