User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 161

  1. #81
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,660

    Default

    Fwiw, my INTJ used to lie repeatedly to people as he didn't consider it worth the fuss of telling them everything, coz it would hold him back on what he was trying to accomplish. He also did the same to people he did care for and love, but only to protect them as he didn't consider it worth hurting their feelings over, so white lies were part of his repertoire, as was verbal acrobatics.

    While I understood that this was part of how he operated as it proved efficient (a tool in his kit, really) and I knew why he did it was often for a good reason, I made it clear to him that I didn't like that as I prefer complete honesty, during the befriending phase. He tried to lie to me three times (white lies, to protect me), I guess out of habit. However, as I knew hem rather well, I noticed. Each time he tried, it resulted in a 2 week time out, with him repeatedly trying to re-establish contact and me hanging up on him till the message sunk in. Note that this was before we got together. After that, he realized that lying to me wasn't really efficient or productive and we came to an understanding. Similarly, there are things that to me are no problem and that he made clear are a big deal to him, so I respect his boundaries there as well.

    I think INTJs perhaps use this tactic as they learn quite early on that it can save them a lot of head aches and they only answer to their own values anyways (Fi). And I can see it being efficient. Hell, I do omissions as well (though I can't outright lie), in the outside world, it *does* save you head aches and grief. However, I do answer to my own Fi as well, and unless we can find some common ground, I'm not about to let you grow close to me. Honesty is key for trust, and trust is key to having any kind of emotional relationship, in my books. In that perspective, I wouldn't trust this one one bit, and therefore would not be inclined to accept his offer, unless substantial changes would take place.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  2. #82
    Filthy Apes! Kalach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    I'd distinguish between lies for efficiency and lies for boundary marking. The first is for making things outside yourself happen, the second is for having people back off without the ordeal of bringing them in close to explain why they should back off. Given that one usually doesn't know how or why one gets to be e5, or even just introverted, the second isn't always explainable anyway.


    Anyway, "lies"? Pffft.

    What do people want, truth without tradesies?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

    Boy meets Grr

  3. #83
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Fwiw, my INTJ used to lie repeatedly to people as he didn't consider it worth the fuss of telling them everything, coz it would hold him back on what he was trying to accomplish. He also did the same to people he did care for and love, but only to protect them as he didn't consider it worth hurting their feelings over, so white lies were part of his repertoire, as was verbal acrobatics.
    Well, I think that if a lie will hurt less than the truth, and doesn't benefit the person telling it, it's okay to lie. What I have a problem with is the way INTJs (apparently) lie and manipulate in order to benefit themselves at the expense of other people. I've done just the opposite before... tell a lie that benefits other people, at my own expense. For instance, I've known that something was someone else's fault before, and lied in order to take the blame for the mistake.

    I think it's important to draw a distinction between the kinds of lies that are wrong, and the kind that are good.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, I think that if a lie will hurt less than the truth, and doesn't benefit the person telling it, it's okay to lie. What I have a problem with is the way INTJs (apparently) lie and manipulate in order to benefit themselves at the expense of other people. I've done just the opposite before... tell a lie that benefits other people, at my own expense. For instance, I've known that something was someone else's fault before, and lied in order to take the blame for the mistake.

    I think it's important to draw a distinction between the kinds of lies that are wrong, and the kind that are good.
    Where did you get that idea from?

  5. #85
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Where did you get that idea from?
    Well, the OP said that they thought the INTJ in question was doing that. And I can see Te/Fi doing that very easily. Because they do effective, pragmatic things outwardly (Te) that benefit the self inwardly (Fi).

    Although to be fair, I think all Te/Fi users can be like this, even NFPs. NTJs are just a lot more capable of succeeding consistently and devastatingly with such a mindset, where the others would tend to fall flat of their faces if they tried it too often. I'm saying that their competence is what makes them dangerous.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, the OP said that they thought the INTJ in question was doing that. And I can see Te/Fi doing that very easily. Because they do effective, pragmatic things outwardly (Te) that benefit the self inwardly (Fi).
    Well, thats an interesting illusion, what the OP said was that it would appear to others that the INTJ was doing something 'unethical' in the eyes of others but he did not view it to be benefiting himself at the expense of other people. As he said 'they said they wanted it and they are adults'. I would just consider it a tax on the stupid if someone doesn't want something but either pays for it or does it anyway. Kind of like homeopathy or typology.

    Anyway, cool story bro. I know that INTJs can be very loosey goosy with semantics and terminology to maximise our return on investment without questioning the bigger picture and almost automagically, but similarly INFJs can be very loosey goosy with other skills to maximise the same effects almost subconsciously in the same way. Just Ni dominant I suppose and the parental preference of F vs T can lead to very little complimentary behaviour despite the natural initial friendliness of when ILI-IEI first meet if there isn't a very strong resonance between the individuals.

  7. #87
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Anyway, cool story bro. I know that INTJs can be very loosey goosy with semantics and terminology to maximise our return on investment without questioning the bigger picture and almost automagically, but similarly INFJs can be very loosey goosy with other skills to maximise the same effects almost subconsciously in the same way. Just Ni dominant I suppose and the parental preference of F vs T can lead to very little complimentary behaviour despite the natural initial friendliness of when ILI-IEI first meet if there isn't a very strong resonance between the individuals.
    Fully agree with Jim there. It's just something about Ni being able to assess the situation and reference it from multiple perspectives that allows INXJs to go in and make accurate predictions to be able to manipulation the situation. The fact that we're also introverts make the tendency to give nudges as oppose to facing things head-on much stronger.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

  8. #88
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Well, thats an interesting illusion, what the OP said was that it would appear to others that the INTJ was doing something 'unethical' in the eyes of others but he did not view it to be benefiting himself at the expense of other people. As he said 'they said they wanted it and they are adults'. I would just consider it a tax on the stupid if someone doesn't want something but either pays for it or does it anyway. Kind of like homeopathy or typology.
    Well, doing something unethical in the eyes of others, but which you consider ethical, does involve paying more attention to your own feelings than those of others... that could technically be defined as selfish. I could be considered compassionate because I pay attention to how other people will feel about me as a result of my words/actions, and act accordingly.

    Although, I suppose it's really all in the definition and perspective, isn't it?
    Anyway, cool story bro. I know that INTJs can be very loosey goosy with semantics and terminology to maximise our return on investment without questioning the bigger picture and almost automagically, but similarly INFJs can be very loosey goosy with other skills to maximise the same effects almost subconsciously in the same way. Just Ni dominant I suppose and the parental preference of F vs T can lead to very little complimentary behaviour despite the natural initial friendliness of when ILI-IEI first meet if there isn't a very strong resonance between the individuals.
    Ah, honestly, most of the INTJs I know don't do stuff like the one in the OP. I usually get along with those INTJs. Their biggest problem is that they tend to do embarrassing things due to their lack of social awareness, and tend to be too blunt. So it does seem pretty unusual, to me, for an INTJ to be consciously focused on manipulation. It would mean they'd developed their Fi to some degree, just enough to understand people's motives and exploit them.

    I don't think the INTJ described in the OP was a typical INTJ, come to think of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Fully agree with Jim there. It's just something about Ni being able to assess the situation and reference it from multiple perspectives that allows INXJs to go in and make accurate predictions to be able to manipulation the situation. The fact that we're also introverts make the tendency to give nudges as oppose to facing things head-on much stronger.
    Well, fine. That's probably true, I guess. Both Ni dominant types are good at doing that kind of thing, and tend to take advantage of it. I guess I just found it preferable to distance the INFJs from the INTJs in this particular instance...

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, fine. That's probably true, I guess. Both Ni dominant types are good at doing that kind of thing, and tend to take advantage of it. I guess I just found it preferable to distance the INFJs from the INTJs in this particular instance...
    Ah, the Fe comes out to play. As I said... cool story bro; what you would be doing there is shaming another person to make your own type/individual look better. That's not very ethical. You'll note that all of the INTJs here viewed certain peoples attempts to 'actively' shame the individual because he didn't agree with their ethics as totally wrong because he hadn't actually done anything wrong. It's somewhat equivalent to jailing someone because you think they might be thinking about stealing something. Pretty abhorrent in our books.

    I like INFJs fine and they like me too; but I do feel I have to careful around them for what I see to be this tendancy to 'play the crowd' or 'play the group'.

    Obviously there is a different view to everything; some us just view it as a 1 on 1 agreement between two individuals and will find a way to make that work to our benefit and expect the other not to agree if they do not see any benefit for themselves. Others are more social and subtle about improving their situation.

  10. #90
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Ah, the Fe comes out to play. As I said... cool story bro; what you would be doing there is shaming another person to make your own type/individual look better. That's not very ethical.
    Well, of course it sounds bad if you say it like THAT.
    You'll note that all of the INTJs here viewed certain peoples attempts to 'actively' shame the individual because he didn't agree with their ethics as totally wrong because he hadn't actually done anything wrong. It's somewhat equivalent to jailing someone because you think they might be thinking about stealing something. Pretty abhorrent in our books.
    Yeah, but it seemed like all the other NFs were doing it... until nightning showed up.
    I like INFJs fine and they like me too; but I do feel I have to careful around them for what I see to be this tendancy to 'play the crowd' or 'play the group'.
    I think INTJs and INFJs get along the best one-on-one. The INTJ will tend to embarrass the INFJ with their bluntness, and the INFJ will tend to annoy the INTJ with their tendency to... do whatever it was you said we do. But if we're not in a group, it's not a factor.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] The dark side of ENFPs
    By FinalFrontier89 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 09:06 PM
  2. The dark side of modesty/tact.
    By Fluffywolf in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 01:19 PM
  3. Cults! - Fear of the 'dark sides' of religion
    By Ming in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
  4. [MBTItm] The dark side of getting along very well with everyone
    By SilkRoad in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
  5. [ENFP] ENFPs: The dark side of seeing potential
    By BlueScreen in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 10:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO