User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    HEY! We could totally be bffs! But only if you're gay cuz my husband probably wouldn't like me hangin out with a hetero guy.
    I am not gay, but I can pretend pretty well. All those Morrissey and Suede and Pet Shop Boys records. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    All those Morrissey and Suede and Pet Shop Boys records. . .
    Don't forget DM, New Order and Pulp!

Sorry Santtu. *exits to the fluff zone*
    Time is a delicate mistress.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I was constantly talked about being intelligent (and almost only that) when I was 12-22, almost to the point of annoyance.

Nowadays I look like a completely different person, but a similar pattern is seen.

My highly introverted, socially challenged, equally intelligent friend gets this kind of feedback, and I accept that for him. It's a way for us to encourage him. Still I know it's a law of nature; should I start being socially inept, I would receive recognition of my intelligence as well Now, it's covered under my silliness, extroversion and general normal appearance, apart from occasional jokes and such.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I was constantly talk about being intelligent (and almost only that) when I was 12-22, almost to the point of annoyance.

Nowadays I look like a completely different person, and a similar pattern is seen.

My highly introverted, socially challenged, equally intelligent friend gets this kind of feedback, and I accept that for him. It's a way for us to encourage him. Still I know it's a law of nature; should I start being socially inept, I would receive recognition of my intelligence as well Now, it's covered under my silliness, extroversion and non-challenging topics I talk about.
    Absolutely. Same here - I used to be always told I was intelligent, until I got sick to death of it and wanted to be seen as more than a brain on legs. It was the only compliment I ever got, as though I had no other qualities. It used to irritate me cos I didn't really care that much for being a smart person, I wanted more to be a good person. It's not as though I tried to be smart.

Similarly, I learned to channel my intelligence into humour and enthusiasm and use it that way to reach people, rather than dry sorta intellectual stuff. And also like you, since doing that I've had less recognition of my intelligence, and I get assumed to be 'shallow' sometimes, more traditional academic types tend not to take me seriously until they get an acid demonstration of the wits they doubt the existence of!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Absolutely. Same here - I used to be always told I was intelligent, until I got sick to death of it and wanted to be seen as more than a brain on legs. It was the only compliment I ever got, as though I had no other qualities.
    It's really all I got in school as well (along with quiet and sweet)-- all my peers viewed me as such, as well as teachers, and of course my parents. It's a primary reason I felt compelled to start out in engineering - because that's just what 'smart people' do. My Dad certainly 'encouraged'/pushed me in that direction. Ultimately it proved to be a bad fit - I hated it.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Another thing I get a lot is "diplomatic" (and I sometimes get the impression it's code for "avoids conflict like the plague"). People seem to think this about me to the point that, at a recent meeting of my local womens' group, we got into a heated debate over something and afterwards people kept asking me if I was okay. I was fine- I had enjoyed it greatly, actually, but they weren't used to seeing me argue a position passionately since typically I am the one who sees both side and facilitates. They were actually seeing a truer me than they were accustomed to seeing- and they didn't recognize it as me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Patient.. laid back.. fun..

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Sorry Santtu. *exits to the fluff zone*
    LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

smart, quiet, spacey, chatty, loyal, good listener, opinionated, educated, involved parent, messy, moody, distracted, picky, sharp-tongued, cute, sweet, nice, articulate, stuck up, friendly, funny

Edit: I am amused by the apparent contradictions in the way people perceive me, especially since I can see the truth of even the contradictions. The nice thing is that people usually do not tell me the bad things. I can think of enough on my own and I'd usually rather not think about it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

something I just put in another thread but which I guess belongs here too, people often remark on my confidence - or what they perceive as confidence - it's actually a combination of obliviousness and preoccupation, as in I'm too preoccupied with whatever hairbrained idea I'm currently developing, to notice whether/how other people are looking at me or reacting to me or whatever. The phrase someone used was that I behave as though the world is my bedroom - that level of relaxedness, at home, sorta confidence you feel in your own room, they say I show that wherever I am.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen