User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    yupp

I dunno I prefer artistic talent over atheletic talent. of course sports bore me, oh wow you kicked around thing congrats.

oh no no i'm not biased off my own ability I suck at both
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

team sports are more social by nature and it's usually the team sports that are most popular. maybe it's because most people are extraverts, at least in the US, and so gravitate to social sports. i think a lot of people want to be a part of something bigger than themselves or have some group to belong to. you know the social cohesion factor. even i, an infj artistic type, have one football team i am a fan of and it's all about the social aspect because the team is so known for that. go trojans! can't believe i just used a cheerleader emoticon. i best go view some diebenkorn stat.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's easy to answer, and multi-faceted.

- The arts are only appreciated by a few vs the majority. Everyone likes a little art--but it's hard to get everyone together for a common art or cause. You like what you like. And it doesn't matter how good someone draws anime, or paints flowers, if you hate flowers you aren't ever going to appreciate their talent really. There are aspects of football for everyone--it's a formula.. No one gets pumped and psyched for the new poem coming out that week. Or the new painting on the wall. It's a different kind of enjoyment. And in high school, where abilities are measured, and people are generally extroverted, it's something easy to enjoy with others and rally with. You can not be a huge fan of football at all and enjoy high school football games. It's hard to be part of art without having a genuine enjoyment of it. (This is all generally speaking here)

- Physical strength is awesome to watch. Seeing feats of strength is instant, and you can see it. Watching someone paint is like the most boring thing ever unless you're painting yourself. And not everyone can be an artist. So it's way more involved with the audience than art. Sports are entertaining for the masses.

- It pays. Being involved in sports COULD end up making you bank if you make it big. Rarely do artists move on to 6+ figures. Because, like I said, even though we NEED art, and use it everywhere... it's not a high paying field. Music can be, but not the kind of music that is generally taught at school.

- It creates a brotherhood within its own ranks. Artists are generally the loner type.. so they attract loners. Band has a .. sort of.. brotherhood.. but it's full of nerds. Sports create a fight and challenge that people can SEE. No one really understands how difficult a song is to play if they've never picked up an instrument. No one cares it took you 7 months to learn to play wonderwall perfectly on cello. Music and art are 'cool' in their own ways, and difficult no doubt. But the challenge of physical activity is easily witnessed, and seen, and it's got quick rewards for both the players and the audience.

- We as humans on some level crave physical strength because it's necessary for survival still on some level.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

It's much easier and simpler to market athletics.

There is amazing beauty in athletic movements. Come on guys. It's just pretty fucking cool. That's all there is to it. Plus there is competition, so you get emotionally invested.

To be fair though, at my HS, there was definitely a balance between what was valued. I think music/theatre and sports were all seen as contributing about equally to the school's social life.

I played DIII in college - my women's FH games certainly wasn't raking in the $$$ for the school with ticket sales. It was more about performing our best and upholding the school's and team's reputation.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I can enjoy basketball or soccer or hockey sometimes, and recognize a strategic aspect to football that I respect, but baseball is fucking boring. People don't MOVE for 90% of the game. Why do people watch it without beer involved?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Default Sport and Social Control

Sport syphons off aggression.

Sport syphons of aggression that could be used in, for instance, politics.

So sport is a form of social control.

Sport began as social control for the working class, but now sport is big business on television.

So sport is still a form of social control, but not just the political control of the working class, but the social control of most of society.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It's easy to answer, and multi-faceted.

- The arts are only appreciated by a few vs the majority. Everyone likes a little art--but it's hard to get everyone together for a common art or cause. You like what you like. And it doesn't matter how good someone draws anime, or paints flowers, if you hate flowers you aren't ever going to appreciate their talent really. There are aspects of football for everyone--it's a formula.. No one gets pumped and psyched for the new poem coming out that week. Or the new painting on the wall. It's a different kind of enjoyment. And in high school, where abilities are measured, and people are generally extroverted, it's something easy to enjoy with others and rally with. You can not be a huge fan of football at all and enjoy high school football games. It's hard to be part of art without having a genuine enjoyment of it. (This is all generally speaking here)

- Physical strength is awesome to watch. Seeing feats of strength is instant, and you can see it. Watching someone paint is like the most boring thing ever unless you're painting yourself. And not everyone can be an artist. So it's way more involved with the audience than art. Sports are entertaining for the masses.

- It pays. Being involved in sports COULD end up making you bank if you make it big. Rarely do artists move on to 6+ figures. Because, like I said, even though we NEED art, and use it everywhere... it's not a high paying field. Music can be, but not the kind of music that is generally taught at school.

- It creates a brotherhood within its own ranks. Artists are generally the loner type.. so they attract loners. Band has a .. sort of.. brotherhood.. but it's full of nerds. Sports create a fight and challenge that people can SEE. No one really understands how difficult a song is to play if they've never picked up an instrument. No one cares it took you 7 months to learn to play wonderwall perfectly on cello. Music and art are 'cool' in their own ways, and difficult no doubt. But the challenge of physical activity is easily witnessed, and seen, and it's got quick rewards for both the players and the audience.

- We as humans on some level crave physical strength because it's necessary for survival still on some level.
    Well said. That makes sense.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENTP

Most people are physically or practically orientated. The academically, musically or artistically orientated are substantially rarer. Like you said, @Such Irony, I think this primal instinct is the primary factor. People can have fun due to the lack of environmental pressure, and sport is essentially the motor system having fun.