First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, you can see why I would assume SP, right? I mean, sports are very physical, they involve risk and competition... and that sounds kind of like what SPs do? Although, I guess that really only means that SPs are more likely to PLAY sports... not necessarily to WATCH sports. On top of that, Se is supposed be my inferior function, and I find sports especially contrived and boring, so I assumed there was a connection.
    Assume SP for what? As an explanation for the popularity of sports? Even assuming that preference for sports can be delineated cleanly across type lines, do you really think that SPs outnumber SJs and Ns together?

And why would this liking of sports transcend type?
    Why wouldn't it?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Well, you can see why I would assume SP, right? I mean, sports are very physical, they involve risk and competition... and that sounds kind of like what SPs do? Although, I guess that really only means that SPs are more likely to PLAY sports... not necessarily to WATCH sports. On top of that, Se is supposed be my inferior function, and I find sports especially contrived and boring, so I assumed there was a connection.

The thing I'm curious about, though... is why do men like sports? And why would this liking of sports transcend type?
    Probably for the same reason "women like shopping". Cultural norms, upbringing, and hanging out with other men who enjoy watching it. It's an easy activity to do that doesn't require sharing emotions or talking, lol.

Both are often-inaccurate stereotypes, of course. But so is "SPs like sports". I think non-SP men are far more likely overall to like watching sports than SP women, if we must generalize. Pretty much all my guy friends enjoy watching sports, SP or not. Actually most of them are Ns (whether confirmed or just my guess).

I hate watching sports, overall (at least things like basketball, baseball, football, soccer, hockey, etc).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    yupp

we had Johnny West in my graduating class and his dad is an NBA coach so basketball was emphasized a lot we also had a bunch of kids get atheletic scholarships ok only 3, but it was a class of 50 kids. On the other hand I ignored it, I have no athletic ability nor do I find sports enjoyable, of course it was always in your face so you knew it was there.Also Pau Gasol's little brother was in my older brother's graduating class. So yeah basketball was a huge deal while I was at school because of those factors.Oh and gym was the worse class ever, why would you do that to the athletically disabled? It's not fair.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    And then someone made the point that it's because 'that football team is what pays for your microscopes, nerd. No one's going to fill a stadium to watch you dissect a frog.'
    This quote cracked me up badly!

But the underlying truth is also key. Competition appeals to the vast majority of people, including intuitives, introverts and intellectuals. The greater the consumption, the more money to be made.

Male athletes also lean towards having better butts.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

War replaced the hunt.. and sports have replaced war.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    In college, the obvious reason is... because sports brings in A LOT of money. If you can fill a football stadium, then your football team is your biggest cash crop. I had this conversation when looking at the average salaries of college professors vs college football coaches. Coaches made 3-5 times as much. And then someone made the point that it's because 'that football team is what pays for your microscopes, nerd. No one's going to fill a stadium to watch you dissect a frog.'
    Lol, actually the IT department in my college gains quite a bit of funding. More so than the other departments apparently. The Dean of the IT department gets quite a bit of $.... the next Dean in another department gets like 100k less, forgot the figure, but he gets a lot. It is probably because my college is well known enough to hit the IT/Engineering department (Class size as small as the fine arts department, but many times as much pay for the professors and deans) like it actually got government funding for one of those national security programs for select students that go through the internship and blah blah.....

From what I can piece together, it was something like IT/Engineering> Sciences(particularly the ones like bio and chemistry)> Business> Design > and everything else.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Athleticism is grossly over rated in player evaluations. Tom Brady posted one of the slowest 40 times in history, at the 2000 Combine, but with his ENTP and Bilichick's INTJ they will always have the edge. Brady was passed over until the 6th round because teams did not factor behavioral trait metrics and cognitive speed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Bags View Post
    Athleticism is grossly over rated in player evaluations. Tom Brady posted one of the slowest 40 times in history, at the 2000 Combine, but with his ENTP and Bilichick's INTJ they will always have the edge. Brady was passed over until the 6th round because teams did not factor behavioral trait metrics and cognitive speed.
    That's interesting.

I think that the focus on sports in high school vs. college is different. In college, it's entertainment. You root for your team and all. There is big money in it for the school as well. It doesn't matter so much in the pecking order though. It's like the athletes are distant from the average everyday school population. In high school, there is a much bigger focus on it in the social status and pecking order in the school. It's seen/felt by the average student in a much more significant way.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

I actually think first world society as a whole value mind over body. It seems to me like mainstream actors and musicians get much more attention in media than mainstream athletes do. While being athletic arguably makes you more physically attractive, nothing else lives up to the charm of the passion of art and authentic expression of emotion. Also, a large intelligence and sense of science is what's contributing so much to the world, you ought to be welcomed with open arms, and you are. Worthy of note though, is that different people like different kinds of people. That is always the case and you are never truly alone, though it may feel that way.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

More people identify with athletics than academics.

Where I'm from, unless you are completely uncoordinated, you grow up playing at least one sport. That experience, growing up playing sports is a cultural touchstone for a larger percentage of Americans than is being in the math club. While it is much easier to make a living with smarts than it is with athletics, more people generally can identify with Athletes than Academics.

In our anodyne world where everything has to be safe, and everyone gets a trophy, and everyone's self esteem matters, sports is one of the last enclaves where there is a clear winner and a clear loser and ruthless brutal competition is encouraged, not disparaged. It allows us an outlet for the tribal urges we will never completely be rid of.

The fact that physique and fitness is a substantial factor in the mating process also plays a role. Sports is one of the last redoubts of acceptable masculinity in our culture.