User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 39

  1. #11
    Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Because there are too many SPs and not enough Intuitives and SJs?
    I saw that fast edit work you did. I'll let you off easy this time....

    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

    ~

  2. #12
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    I think it's because of the more obvious competitive nature of athletic endeavours. From the gladiators of old to the sports stars of today, it's about beating the other player/team. Do people watch American Idol for the singing or for the competition?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

  3. #13
    Senior Member Eckhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Are you really sure about that? In my experience, "dumb" people are made fun of as much as extremely uncoordinated gals, when you're past 15 years of age.
    "Dumb" people are made fun of, yes, but in some areas you get away with not being as adept, which I meant, probably I didn't explain myself very well. That is for example mathematics and any kind of simpler computer stuff (I don't mean only the older people who didn't grow up with it and use it every day), because there it is considered normal that it is difficult and people have trouble with it. If at all you are a nerd because you are good at it.

  4. #14
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    My highschool was pretty serious about football at the expense of other programs. This was Texas (big football state), and they had groomed their teams into state championships multiple times. They had a huge stadium for highschool football (now, even more than ever.. last time I saw it. Big jumbotron type of screen and everything. It's crazy). I suppose this made a ton of money for them though.

    I remember there were drama and art classes, for example, but I don't remember any actual productions ever happening (or even a stage to speak of). Not that I'm blaming anyone, but it probably would have done me good if there were more extracurricular activities. I played sports when I was younger, but I was bored with that and with school in general. I wanted to do something different. This mostly lead to getting in trouble. A lot of schools have this problem, I bet. Kids aren't occupied enough or staying after school for some club or group. There isn't a whole lot that's being catered or enriching in highschool.

    As for any persecution.. at least there, it was odd that there was so much focus on sports, but there wasn't much "jock" elitism among the students themselves. People mostly looked up to preppy kids, good looking kids, or thugs. You were worse off for not being one of them.

  5. #15
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,906

    Default

    I agree with most of what's said above. I think it's a combination of cultural anomaly and $.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  6. #16
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Because there are too many SPs and not enough Intuitives and SJs?

    SPs are the ones who enjoy sports and athletic stuff...
    Edit: *facepalm*

    To the OP: I disagree with your initial premises, but I do agree with your theory on evolution. That is propably the cause. Plus it's one of the few healthy ways of sublimating stress.

  7. #17
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    Maybe because it's something that's almost unreachable. It takes years of intensive training to become really good. Besides, humans are a bunch of clumsy animals and good athletic abilities can turn one into a superhuman to some people. We just want things we can't easily reach.

    I personally don't really like sports, I don't like doing sports (because I've always been bad at it and doing things I'm bad at is the easiest way to totally fuck up my self esteem) and I don't like watching them. However, I'm turning more interested in sports lately, but that's just because my cousin's boyfriend just got a two-year contract at a professional soccer team and I just can't stand how they never put him in the field to play.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  8. #18
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Because there are too many SPs and not enough Intuitives and SJs?

    SPs are the ones who enjoy sports and athletic stuff...
    If you changed SP to "men" you'd be closer to the mark. Either way, it's irrelevant since the proportions of men and/or SPs are unlikely to change much. Besides colleges have far more Ns, in theory, than high schools, and sports are just as emphasized there if not more so.

    I think it's pretty simple explanation, though. A large number of people find it entertaining to watch for whatever reasons (competition, school pride, etc) --> money to be made selling tickets, ads, etc --> money given to sports teams

    And the large number of people watching it (i.e. it's popular) means that the stars are popular and that people will read about it in the paper (in theory) leading to a section devoted to it. And that's why superbowl commercials bring in so much money. It's purely the audience.

    In other words, the skills aren't prized instrinsically so much as they're prized for the audience they will bring.
    -end of thread-

  9. #19
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    If you changed SP to "men" you'd be closer to the mark. Either way, it's irrelevant since the proportions of men and/or SPs are unlikely to change much. Besides colleges have far more Ns, in theory, than high schools, and sports are just as emphasized there if not more so.

    I think it's pretty simple explanation, though. A large number of people find it entertaining to watch for whatever reasons (competition, school pride, etc) --> money to be made selling tickets, ads, etc --> money given to sports teams

    And the large number of people watching it (i.e. it's popular) means that the stars are popular and that people will read about it in the paper (in theory) leading to a section devoted to it. And that's why superbowl commercials bring in so much money. It's purely the audience.

    In other words, the skills aren't prized instrinsically so much as they're prized for the audience they will bring.
    Well, you can see why I would assume SP, right? I mean, sports are very physical, they involve risk and competition... and that sounds kind of like what SPs do? Although, I guess that really only means that SPs are more likely to PLAY sports... not necessarily to WATCH sports. On top of that, Se is supposed be my inferior function, and I find sports especially contrived and boring, so I assumed there was a connection.

    The thing I'm curious about, though... is why do men like sports? And why would this liking of sports transcend type?

  10. #20
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Evolutionary instincts? In the animal world, showing physical prowess is one of the best ways of attracting mates.

    As for watching sports, I guess it's a male bonding thingy. Also betting and fantasy sports are playing a bigger part too.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

    appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

    I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

    The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Similar Threads

  1. Why is men wearing jewelry so taboo?
    By Elfboy in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-04-2016, 09:35 PM
  2. [ENFP] Why does she bother me so much? Is there a type that doesn't get along with ENFP's??
    By cheerchick23 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-21-2014, 06:28 PM
  3. Why is the British academia so snob?
    By Blackmail! in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM
  4. [SP] Why is the "Arthouse" always so dead?
    By LEGERdeMAIN in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO