User Tag List

First 123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Perhaps people like you would be among the extremely rare group whom I'd talk well with both in real life and .. well.. perhaps in facebook, but I don't got any skills in that, so that can't be tested.

Facebook brings up my assholeness.

Sometimes this forum, but this forum has it's merits.

Real life hasn't brought up my assholedness much. People often describe me as a "gentleman" with no intention of parody or sarcasm.

The media (medium) is wrong. Not me. Probably not them either. It's that ghastly creation of mr. Zuckerberg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Nit-picking isn't going to make the thing go away. The people who are skilled in facebook and real face-to-face communication are extremely damned rare. I am surprised to see one who is half-skilled with both.

Edit: one guy I know is today both good in person and good facebook. Now that's the exception. He's not only half-good but he's good. Still, not as good as the good, specialized people. Evidently the site doesn't attract such people. The verbally able people are so hugely lacking from that site.. huh.
    Nope, I know a lot of people who are good at real life interactions as well as use facebook. If all else, many times better than me. You might just know the wrong people.

Besides, communication of any kind is still communication. Knowing what kind of porridge someone else ate isn't something you like (not something I like either,) but it is still communication.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Dont have a Facebook, don't want a Facebook, don't have friends to add anyway.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

You'd have me.

/feeler cheesiness

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Darn!

I disabled mine about a month ago as I decided it was something that wasn't producing anything fruitful. It's just a medium in which people gather to talk about mundane bullshit, and received false praise for mediocrity from a legion of faceless "friends". I also think social networking is taking massive strides in diluting the depth of our interpersonal relationships.

Smile facebook - don't hurt your precious head over it :)

it's an new quick and easy way to stay connected - "what's your facebook", instead of phone number.

and the easy way to find acquaintances, "WOW look how many people i knew before that i can find on facebook!!"

i think it appeals to the older generation. "i wonder if i can find [someone-they-haven't-met-for-50-years]!"

the easy way for organizations, musicians, artists, etc, to update their news and for people to connect and communicate with them, since so many people use it.

and when lots of people do it, people get curious.. or are bored, make an account, get bored again and get on to update occasionally - gives people something to do when they get bored in their long, long life.

not much thought involved, leaves something to be desired, bit lacking in content. because just like you, no one cares much about facebook.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Ok, perhaps I'm starting to understand it a bit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

garbage

Though Facebook isn't a medium through which everything about a person comes across, most of the Facebook friends I have correspond pretty well to their "real life" counterparts.

Obsessed about dancing in real life? Obsessed about dancing on Facebook.
    Quirky in real life? Quirky on Facebook.
    Talkative and poignant in real life? Talkative and poignant on Facebook.

As one huge counterexample to the OP, one of my mentors, who is a motivational/public speaker by nature, uses Facebook as well. So do my realtor friends, who have to speak fluently and clearly in real life. Hell, it's the "socialites by profession" who end up greatly utilizing Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. in their lines of work.

Really, I've observed that it's just another medium through which people express themselves, consciously or not. I haven't seen many who have a "personality" on Facebook that deviates too far from their real personality. There may be alterations or exaggerations here or there, but then, there are in real life as well.

If all of your friends bore you with minutia, then you need to get better friends. I "Hide" the mundane or boring people. And only people I truly give a damn about can see what I post. So that's a plus.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Yeah, I guess that is the better approach than to have Facebook but no real friends (only people I knew in past but which I mean shit to nowadays) to add like me, lol.