Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    i'm doomed.
    To what? Be elementarily elemental?

That ain't a bad thing.

oh ok. But that is usually the case, isn't it? As in, one is consciously aware of why they're feeling that emotion at that particular point in time. The rational identification of the triggers and all that. Which is precisely why it can be expressed, isn't it?
    I'm not really saying it's just an awareness, it involves an active component as well. There are two scenarios:

1. I feel some of the emotion in me, but I add to it or take away from it depending on how appropriate it is to the situation.

2. I think that a particular situation demands a particular emotional response (i.e., the response that best resolves it involves the expression of some amount of emotion).

So I express the emotion because I know it's appropriate (and I'm using the emotion to express my opinion, almost, in a sense), not necessarily because I am feeling it at that strength.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

To OP: my first memory of harshly situation-dependent emotions is a disturbingly negative one.

I did something in the elementary school that I thought the teacher allowed (and wanted) us to do, only to find her raging at us in a theatrical but a frightening style. Some student went by the open door of the classroom, the teacher transforming to a nice person to say hi, and back to monster and yelling at us.

I was 10 but I knew that was utter shit.

When I was 11, she was dismissed from her position of a school teacher on grounds of emotional instability and unsuitability for such a position.

---

Since then, you know me, you (sub) and Whatever topped the scores in high-monitoring behavior So you know I do fake emotions now and then.. more so than most others.

Still, that teacher's behavior is too far off. It doesn't lead to good consequences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    To what? Be elementarily elemental?

That ain't a bad thing.
    I like Jennifer!

I'm not really saying it's just an awareness, it involves an active component as well. There are two scenarios:

1. I feel some of the emotion in me, but I add to it or take away from it depending on how appropriate it is to the situation.

2. I think that a particular situation demands a particular emotional response (i.e., the response that best resolves it involves the expression of some amount of emotion).

So I express the emotion because I know it's appropriate (and I'm using the emotion to express my opinion, almost, in a sense), not necessarily because I am feeling it at that strength.
    Ah, I see. I do (1).
    Edit: only if i care to.

(2) is something I struggle with though. Can't quite 'fake it', so to speak, even when i rationally know it is what needs to be done. Just strikes me as being false...not that it is wrong--since it certainly helps in socio-politicking--but i just can't do it: it's not me. Only if i have that original emotion within me with regards to the situation, then i can amplify/reduce it as i wish. but if it doesn't exist in me for that particular situation, i can't express it.

and ok. i think i've derailed enough. Could we have more of the other types responding? *hopeful* Thus far, it's interesting, cos the ENTPs concur. Would like to see more of the Ss and the Fs...(and the INTP/Js)
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    Zzzz

am i the only screwball who expresses everything exactly as i feel, whenever i feel it?
    Nope, not the only screwy-ball. You've called me out on my Fe- bleeding myself dry! But, whether or not I feel it, I may not always show it to others or show just a bit unless I'm angered for (mostly) other people or passionate with ideas. I may also try to shirk or skew my Fe-ed skin in order to be appropriate within certain situations but I mainly show calm always unless I want to inspire others (sometimes calmly too!) If the feelings are too personal to me, or I haven't figured out the meaning of them in relation to myself or to another/s or the to world at large!, I may shun it but I'll still quietly, sometimes desperately plumb through the vessels of that new body... I may also try to retain feelings more than I should in order to understand it or use it to create something (as with writing)...Ah, Ni can't see the blood stains but it can see all shades of red, trying to pin-point and it runs around a clown's squishy nose until it squeaks a telling noise! But when I realise I'm showing too early or when I don't want to, even if it's positive, I may hide myself away for a time from others!

I've largely gotten over trying to keep more to myself (unless I'm depressed, well--), and have returned to being more carefree as when I was little. I've always been "me" in the moment and I cherish all the feelings which inspire me, including the feelings of others!

I still have an Fe-blood stained body or shield but, well, mostly people aren't aware until I sweat til I glisten! Not Completely Random Note: I used to enjoy saying "I'm gonna skew you!" a lot....a lot...

And I'm not so sure people mock-emote (). We create our emotions, even if we concoct them as a joke, as they still existed, even can be introjected, within us or projected by us even if weakly or quickly. It's what we attach to them and detach by them which will showcase how relevant they are to us, even if we designed them to not be relevant to the situation or to others. I have the urge to speak on the Hypothalamus but I shan't go further! I do see it that we create our emotions to attach to and until we detach they'll keep on linking and linking becoming stronger, whether "real" or "inspired". I think it's very easy to pretend a feeling into reality. I think it's very easy to take real emotions and pretend them away too...What do you want to use them for? Will you be used by them?

Ah, aelan has corrupted me into Delirium!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

(2) is something I struggle with though. Can't quite 'fake it', so to speak, even when i rationally know it is what needs to be done. Just strikes me as being false...not that it is wrong--since it certainly helps in socio-politicking--but i just can't do it: it's not me.
    So you haven't had a situation in which someone says something that irks you a little but you also know is extremely rude/wrong... and so you start to respond under the notion you SHOULD be angry... and you find yourself expressing yourself into those terms of stronger anger, even though technically you are not at all as out of control as your words might make it seem?

(for example)

It's rather hard to describe because it is not quite that clear cut, it's muddy around the edges.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Some knobhead cuts me up on the inside and I'll shout "You utter cretin!" and flip the bird, but I'm really not actually angry, in fact I'm closer to joking and laughing than I am angry - feel my pulse and it's calmer than the calmest ocean, even whilst I'm yelling.
    LMAO! I'll be back later to elaborate.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

I can and do use mock emotions since in most cases my real emotions are misunderstood anyway.

Then again at times I'll fake an emotion just to get a specific reaction out of someone just to be a pain in their ass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have a hard time even showing my real emotions, so if I am showing some kind of strong emotion you can pretty much count on it being real and probably stronger than it looks. It might be transient and it might even be misdirected, but if I'm showing emotion, it's very likely real.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    You know like teachers do, when one minute they're bellowing at the class and the next minute they turn around and talk in a perfectly calm voice to an adult standing next to them? So like, it wasn't real anger, but sorta 'acted' anger, for the benefit of the class?
    That's a strange assumption to make. Just because a teacher is angry with a class doesn't mean s/he is angry at another adult. Why should the teacher express anger to someone s/he isn't angry with? There are plenty of times I'm furious with my class, but I'm not about to let that fury spill over and pollute my other relationships.

MBTI
    type

So you haven't had a situation in which someone says something that irks you a little but you also know is extremely rude/wrong... and so you start to respond under the notion you SHOULD be angry... and you find yourself expressing yourself into those terms of stronger anger, even though technically you are not at all as out of control as your words might make it seem?

(for example)

It's rather hard to describe because it is not quite that clear cut, it's muddy around the edges.
    Not this exact situation, but i think i know what you're getting at....No, then. I either am angry, or I'm not. And even if i should be angry, but i can't feel it, then, i can't express it. I'd just be the classic intp.

Of course, the varying degrees of anger (or whatever emotion) will depend on the situation. But basically, i'd be expressing it as i feel it.

more often than not, if i'm "modifying" the emotion, then, it tends to be negativity--eg, grumpiness--that i don't want to unleash it onto other people. So in that sense, i 'moderate' it by just keeping quiet and keeping it in. (until i explode cos i implode. )

ok. i am doomed. mama.

Aelan was right, then. INTPs can't do the social game. yes. ok. thanks jennifer. *subdued elf* i'll listen to my sis from now on.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland