First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I enjoy checking the comments I'm left, so to turn the boxes on and back off again feels like a lot of effort to try to show people that "I don't care about rep points".
    This is pretty much what I wrote about the rep system today afternoon in my blog. But I hate being on any "who is favourite" list so I turned the thing off. Maybe soon I'll turn it back on because I cannot decide which is better, to be on a list or to be able to read the comments easily.

MBTI
    type

hehe. well alcearos, if you're like me, i love reading the comments too, so i'm always disabling and enabling the system, and hoping no one notices.

would be nice if we could see the comments without having to able/disable the scores, though.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ditto above- I don't like my jewels showing for fear that someone will go check where I am ranked with everyone else
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    hehe. well alcearos, if you're like me, i love reading the comments too, so i'm always disabling and enabling the system, and hoping no one notices.

would be nice if we could see the comments without having to able/disable the scores, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ditto above- I don't like my jewels showing for fear that someone will go check where I am ranked with everyone else
    I think Javo was about to write something about giving comments without rep points to somebody. It seems many people do love the comments (I do too ) but do not wish to have the rep lvl to be seen.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Oh, now I get the black boxes... how do they see? Do you just mean "mouse over?"

MBTI
    GONE

People say that rep is given too freely, but given that so many people (including more vocal members) have a ton of rep and it's kinda a given that everyone will eventually reach deity status -- I'm really of the mind to give newcomers rep points to help them on their journey to Olympus. For one thing, it makes the rep system seem less intimidating and like a 'popularity contest' and it's a useful tool in making new members feel more like part of a community. It's like saying, 'Let's get the party started!' Perhaps that's just me though. I also have to say, I enjoy the rep comments, it's fun! :nods:

Also, I guess I don't see rep as a popularity contest (and if it is, I'm bitter, hahaha) and even if it were, I don't think it would affect my posting on the forums or how I see members.

Even without rep and rankings, you know who the core posters are and people are constantly coming and going so there's a nice flux and feeling of growth as opposed to being a static clique for a small core of 'veteran' posters.

If people are afraid that's going to happen, I doubt it will happen anytime soon and I also don't think rep will have much of anything to do with it.

I dunno, I really don't think the maturity level and focus of the forum as a whole is as susceptible to posturing and popularity baiting as people seem to think. The rep boxes, while fun and a nice tool for connecting, are basically harmless and if anything fluff-y. The popularity rankings are more or less meaningless -- I don't see them having any hard currency in the forum.

The only sites where I've seen rep can affect threads and matters to members is in hardcore hobby forums like gaming or sports or tech forums where by nature, all members are playing who's got the biggest d*ck contest (you know, like rubber duckies) and being adversarial is more commonplace, even accepted. Moreover, membership in these forums is generally heavily adolescent to mid 30s males, with a high concentration of men in their early to mid 20s.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INXP

All good points... the comparison with "macho" sites is quite an interesting one...

Perhaps we've buried the rep subject for a while now..
    shall we move on to another part of the original post and other follow up comments?

How about revisiting why people Blog? Does it represent a "home" in cyberspace? Is it pretend privacy? A place to show off?

Is the phenomenon of it being present on forums like this just because it is trendy? Or is it because people feel disconnected in a virtual world and want the equivalent of their own "bedroom, work desk" whatever to customise and feel is their's - ie is it about part ownership in a society....?

MBTI
    INFP

Yes! The subject of blogging.. great direction, Geoff.

I see my blog as my desk.. "These are the ideas I'm going to work on tonight" and then I dump them on my desk and get to work.

MBTI
    INXP

*bump*

Blogging : Discuss! Perhaps we should start to carve these out into separate threads... /lazy.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I see my blog as my desk.. "These are the ideas I'm going to work on tonight" and then I dump them on my desk and get to work.
    Yes. I dump my brain into my blog, just so I can see what's in my head.
    Then I take the good stuff and polish it.

(Plus it's my bitch line.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft