User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    Well, INTP and INFP as well.
    I know that. That's why I mentioned Ti and Fi as well as Si too and of course Ni. So, not just INTP or INFP, the whole range of Introverts! Or Se etc, whole range of Extroverts too.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I would agree with the level playing field idea, at least in the beginning stages of ones' forum experiences. One can be more 'free' and uninhibited in interaction, without any preconceived notions from others, or any expectations. It's like starting out in a new school - no one knows you, and you start out with a clean slate, so to speak.

But I'd argue that over time, this too disappears, and eventually many of these real life factors do resurface, because once one is on the forum long enough, he's familiar with the dynamics and 'social structure', such that it is, so he might consciously or unconsciously feel more restricted, and since ones own baggage is present online as well as real-life, eventually the same 'problems' could occur online as occurs in real life (if this makes any sense..sigh)...but that's probably highly dependent on the individual in how that manifests. Also, over time, more of the individuals' behaviors and thoughts will have surfaced, so if he is active enough on the board, eventually he will have carved out a very similar 'identity' and 'role' to how he is in real life - that is, if he is being genuine - so his online experiences at that point might mirror real-life very closely. (? Again, it all depends - or, maybe I'm just projecting myself into this entire paragraph)
    I think this was in my mind...somewhere underneath.. when I was talking about increasing need for attention as things developing creating "trolls". Perhaps this is part of it? A brave new world eventually turns out to have similar issues to the "real" one.. and demands for attention come out in "trolling"... where behaviour is not so easily filtered by the reality of face to face interactions?

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I'm not sure. Again, I think this boils down to the individual. For myself, since I believe Fe is fairly strong both in real life and on the net, I continue to follow social conventions that I find conducive to interaction and I suppose my desire for harmony.

I can see your point on the active members maybe being on a stage, seeing as many people do just read/browse/lurk without participating as much.

As for myself, I actually don't see this as 'safe'. In fact it's probably far less 'safe' psychologically for me than real-life, because I AM choosing to be more open in what I share online, and I am broadcasting all of it to all of the lurkers too. Also, the forum provides a unique outlet for a lot of discussions that simply don't happen to me in real life. And finally, to one of your points, I guess I do use it to 'test' myself -- not in the sense that I'm playing a role, but I'm testing my limits in openness and how all of it affects me emotionally/psychologically. And, using what I learn from here, I then try to better understand how I can integrate it in my real life, and where I can draw parallels.
    I suppose everyone's mileage will vary... but I do see large scale signs that people both recognise the size of the audience, and then choose to ignore it by pretending small scale discussions are private, as if they were over a coffee... it's quite fascinating...

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I suppose everyone's mileage will vary... but I do see large scale signs that people both recognise the size of the audience, and then choose to ignore it by pretending small scale discussions are private, as if they were over a coffee... it's quite fascinating...
    It could also be thought of when people are in small cafes or restaurants, they feel as though they are holding private conversations but may not realise that others are focusing on them at semi-close ranges. So, some might recognise it and/or choose to ignore it or honestly forget it.

Wouldn't my speaking directly to you be seen as a bit of a private discussion because I've pointed you out or you to others when we quote one another? It's just that others can listen in, whether you or I recognised that or not or then forget (I don't know about pretend, maybe for some people who aren't aware?). And discussions will still revolve around us within the same topic/branched off or with us when others decide to comment on our comments. Hmm.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

All of these points apply to all forums that I have seen, not just this one:

Chit-chat posts, various versions of "noob", "you suck", etc.: Unless moderators or other people on the forums put some pressure against these types of posts, they will crop up more and thanks to the ease of making them. (It takes a long time to write up a long strategy, a description of some theory, or any sort of well though out post, and sometimes the person does not have the information or room in the thread to make such a post. On the other hand, Making the sort of post said above takes little time and can almost always be done.) it is also faster to read shorter posts, so they will as likely as not get a large string of shorter posts going if that is considered allowable/o.k. on the forum. (All of the above applies to blog comments also)

Forums that are about something will tend to dry out and get less threads over time, as people make threads first on the obvious stuff, than the less obvious, than comes sorting out the details, finding all the nooks and crannies of the subject, until it is mostly explored. New people will have a harder time getting threads started, as older stuff they could talk about is likely in the thread already, which may be read without responding, or if responded to, will get little activity as necromancered threads in general tend ot attract a lot less attention.

Forums will tend to get competition going with other forums, this just seems to be an extension of how a lot of groups tend ot get competetive with something else. Also like other groups, they will have a tendency to drift to certain political views, views on life, social groups of people (in the outside world), etc., probably because of how writing styles and subjects brought up will ionfluence certain types of people towards or away from the forums. (One reason for why MBTIcentral may have trouble attracting a larger type diversity, or diversity in socioeconomic or political terms, it is not purposefully through saying that sensors suck, but just because people write a certain way, and talk about things a certain way, which will tend to make it seem more or less inviting to other types of people.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think one of the larger aspects of a forum is a sense of mental freedom. You know that you can say things and challenge ideas that would lead to you being ostracized in many public places in real life. I think, like many other things in life, it's a good aspect when used properly, but bad when it's abused.

Another is a stronger sense of mental/emotional identity coming through. The things that normally color your perception, such as mannerisms, things done to impress people, quietness, and fashion, don't come through. You're judged more on who you are consciously, on a mental level, rather than who you are from the perspective of your actions or appearance. The quiet periods in between aren't judged, just the periods where expression comes through.

heart on fire

If one cannot bring themselves to say what they want to on message boards without fearing being ostracized, one will never learn to be brave enough to be free thinking anywhere in the world!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    This is very interesting to me because I find it so much easier to interact here than in real life. When I communicate in RL, I see body language and other physical elements as impediments to my message instead of enhancements of it.
    I agree. In my teenage years I got the accusations of "talking/looking like a robot" most INTs are familiar with. From observing others I've built up a pool of facial expressions and mannerisms to draw from as the situation warrants, but these are conscious choices and divert "processing cycles" away from formulating my statement. The written word allows me to focus entirely on my message.

It's entirely logical that EXSPs, for whom gesticulations and emoting come so naturally and largely without conscious attention, would on some level assume such is the case for everyone. Every person of every type is guilty, to some extent or another, of assuming the minds of other humans operate similarly to his own.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Another interesting and controversial aspect of this site is how some people/groups seem to require and demand production of saccharine validation/affirmation/attention. It's hard to precisely label it, but here's an example:

Member 1: I had such a rough day. It's so hard to... I try so hard, but sometimes I feel like...

All this is calculated, in my estimation, to elicit this type of response:

Member 2: It's okay! You're a great person, blah blah blah...

That response only encourages Member 1 to continue with the pity/validation game instead of address why he or she really needs that validation. I find it pretty fascinating. It seems like it's a very SFJ thing.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Another interesting and controversial aspect of this site is how some people/groups seem to require and demand production of saccharine validation/affirmation/attention. It's hard to precisely label it, but here's an example:

Member 1: I had such a rough day. It's so hard to... I try so hard, but sometimes I feel like...

That response only encourages Member 1 to continue with the pity/validation game instead of address why he or she really needs that validation. I find it pretty fascinating. It seems like it's a very SFJ thing.
    Or: making brutal teenish comments and others enjoying and encouraging that. An NTJ thing?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post

That's funny. When I've done #1 and I get #2, usually I feel let down and disappointed, sometimes even frustrated and annoyed. I want someone to say either, "Yeah, I've been through that too, it sucks, huh?" or to sit there and dig through it all with me and figure out what it all means.

Could be SFJ... but I've seen a lot of FPs (both S and N) want that sort of thing too.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft