MBTI
    INxJ

Just say, "No"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I do think this is an intriguing topic, I'm always waiting for someone to publish a book on the topic or for "how to make friends and influence people, online" to be published.

I think that systemic psychological theories can explain a lot, like whether a forum is a closed or open system, that is whether they will tolerant or be receptive of newbies or prefer to keep a regimented elect in-group and prioritise its integraty.

The personalities of individual members, whether they're oral or anal personality types or some other similar typology, is only part of it because the forum, like a family or team, has its own group dynamics for the reception and departure of members, their popularity or inclusion in the mean time etc.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Notice- people say things online that they could never say face-to-face without wetting their pants.
    Wait, what did you say again?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think this is somewhat relevant, and really really neat:

YouTube - What if chat rooms were real?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Gender is oddly persistent.. perhaps it is the ultimate distinguishing factor between people that is the last to disappear. So, with the exception of expressed (doesn't have to be real) gender, it is a level playing field.
    This has probably been said before (i'm sure it has), but I think it has to do with language, that the English language defines a "he", and a "she", there would be no other way to refer individually to a person using a pronoun otherwise. It isn't necessarily the ultimate distinguishing factor...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuulie View Post
    Notice- people say things online that they could never say face-to-face without wetting their pants.
    I beg to differ, pal.

Enneagram
    4w5

I could wax more eloquently on this and write an entire screed because I have thought very, very deeply about forums as entities. For now, though, I will keep it short and let it suffice it to say that I have reached a point where I am just tired of forum culture. I don't fit in cyberspace any more than I fit in real life (which is almost not at all).

While on the surface, forums might feel more open, or more accepting, I know from countless experience that you basically play the online version of the real-life social dancing and games in order to gain acceptance on a forum. There is the lingo you have to adopt, there is a preference for a certain type of communication. There is comfort in what you're familiar with so regulars always get the benefit of the doubt compared to newbies. (For example, it is possible that the same thread started by a newbie would garner the complete opposite reaction if it were started by a regular)

Then there are the initiation ceremonies. Instead of meeting in a graveyard at midnight over a boiling cauldron, the initiation ceremonies online involve saying things like "+1 to you!" or "enchantment!" depending on what the forum is.

I think cultural background and socio-economic class plays a rather significant role and it seems like forums do an excellent job of self-selecting their regulars based upon similar background. It's not something that happens deliberately, the self-selection just works out that way (like how a movie called "Britney Spears eating her boogers" would self-select a certain audience). In the rare occasions where there is a significant difference in background between the regulars unforeseen misunderstandings can occur.
    The purple sun won't heal my purple bruises :ouch:

Thumbs down Taboo

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Gender is oddly persistent..
    If we perceive by making distinctions, then gender is a basic distinction, for the first question they ask when we are born is, "Is it a boy or a girl?".

An even more basic distinction than gender is inner and outer.

For instance, drink from a clear glass of water and you feel refreshed. Now spit into the same glass of water and drink and you feel disgust. And yet both are exactly the same. But in the second we feel disgust.

And disgust is a sign a taboo has been broken. In this case the taboo of mixing the inner and the outer.

And although it is politically incorrect to say so, we also feel disgust when we break the taboo of confusing a boy with a girl. If you say the wrong gender, the mother will instantly correct you.

This is because we perceive by making distinctions and each distinction has its own taboo.

So gender is oddly persistent because it is a light by which we see. And being able to see is so important we surround it with taboo.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So gender is oddly persistent because it is a light by which we see. And being able to see is so important we surround it with taboo.
    Interesting point.
    What do you think the gender distinction is allowing us to see?

I'm not the drinking water thing is necessarily an "inner/outer" dichotomy, however. It seems more reminiscent of the reality that two lovers can sit around and french-kiss for an hour right after dinner, yet if one asks the other to borrow their toothbrush, they'll screw up their face and say, "Yuck, that's disgusting -- use your own!" Context in some way is coming into play.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft