• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

sorry for not being a genius.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Anyone else feel this way when posting? Like you're constantly being criticized for not quoting long chunks of texts or reiterating stuff you learned from a book? That you get bored after 2 posts in a debate so you leave, especially when you realize the person you're debating with is stubborn and will just twist your words? That you don't write novels for posts? that what you're curious about, others see as dumb/retarded/useless.

I'm sorry I will never be an intellectual, it's just not who I am. I still love to learn.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyone else feel this way when posting? Like you're constantly being criticized for not quoting long chunks of texts or reiterating stuff you learned from a book? That you get bored after 2 posts in a debate so you leave, especially when you realize the person you're debating with is stubborn and will just twist your words? That you don't write novels for posts? that what you're curious about, others see as dumb/retarded/useless.

I'm sorry I will never be an intellectual, it's just not who I am. I still love to learn.

Sometimes, but especially the bolded part.

I think you're a smart cookie though, even if you don't post walls'o'text. Personally, if you can say what you need to in a shorter context, the better.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yeah, I've always been concise many people say that about me IRL. That's why I have a hard time with papers.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you are forgiven...lol just kidding :alttongue: but yeah I totally know what you mean. or when you say something simple and they're like "no you don't get it because of (insert paragraph's length of BS evidence)" now, some complicated points do necessitate a lot of words, but doing it for the sake of confusing people is kind of avoiding the issue and turning a disagreement into an intellectual battle. I just know why people have such a hard time being wrong. I mean, it's as simple as "oh, I missed that. thanks for the tip".

P

Phantonym

I know the feeling. But I also try to fight it. So, I'm going to say that I am not sorry for not being a genius. Just because I'm not an intellectual or something other people might be doesn't mean that I don't have value on my own.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
look on the bright side... it shows a lot more origionality to come up with your own shorter post than it does to copy and paste some theory you found online and call that a post :yes:

plus, the point of communication is to get info from your brain into someone else's... long posts tend to fail at this when half the site has the attention span of the average goldfish :cheese: (which is apparently 3 seconds)

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
look on the bright side... it shows a lot more origionality to come up with your own shorter post than it does to copy and paste some theory you found online and call that a post :yes:

plus, the point of communication is to get info from your brain into someone else's... long posts tend to fail at this when half the site has the attention span of the average goldfish :cheese: (which is apparently 3 seconds)

Or a flea, like me. (which is slightly worse) :laugh:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

huh? sorry I stopped reading after the word side.

Yeah, true I have a hard time reading walls o' text. my attention span is terrible ask the 3 page paper I wrote friday took me 10 hours, because I kept getting distracted every 5 seconds.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

The real intellectuals don't write wall-o-text posts of stuff paraphrasing things read in a books, they're most apt to write succinct and concise insights and ideas, not re-dredge up old information, so I think you're getting pseudo-intellects confused for real ones.

You're not an intellectual, but so what, it would suck it everyone was.... I can't take that much competition.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
The real intellectuals don't write wall-o-text posts of stuff paraphrasing things read in a books, they're most apt to write succinct and concise insights and ideas, not re-dredge up old information, so I think you're getting pseuo-intellects confused for real ones.

You're not an intellectual, but so what, it would suck it everyone was.... I can't take that much competition.
I really should have pointed out, that was using intellectual in a sarcastic manner. But I felt that would have detracted from the post.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I really should have pointed out, that was using intellectual in a sarcastic manner. But I felt that would have detracted from the post.

Eh, I kinda got thru that u were talking about fake or phony or mundane intellectualism in the OP, or that u just find intellectuals bland. Without mentioning u were talking about pseudo's.

T

ThatGirl

@ the OP. If you can't get to the point (and the right one) in a sentence or less, you are not really a genius. Don't let the puffed up texts, and snide remarks be mistaken for content.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I can relate. It gets too annoying discussing with some people like you described, and as you I will just leave the discussion, because that is not worth my nerves, and I realize quickly when a person does not want to really listen to the other side no matter what I have to say. Usually those are though the people who just think and pretend to be so called "intellectuals" and are usually overly convinced of themselves, but in reality they just understand to hide their just as biased and stuck opinions in a stretched out and repetitive wall of text or an infinite number of posts that no one can answer on in every single sentence. They don't try to win discussions by bringing good arguments, but by exhausting and annoying you until you give up. Real "intellectual" people behave different I think.

S

Sniffles

In the end, that's what really matters. It's far worse to be unwilling to think and learn. Philosophers are simply those who dig deeper into the same issues that effect everybody else, they're not a special breed apart. Heck the father of philosophy, Socrates, famously stated that in the end he knew nothing.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
In the end, that's what really matters. It far worse to be unwilling to think and learn. Philosophers are simply those who dig deeper into the same issues that effect everybody else, they're not a special breed apart. Heck the father of philosophy, Socrates, famously stated that in the end he knew nothing.

I like philosophy, I'm not good at it, but I still like it. I often miss things when reading philosophy and people are like "blah blah *something I totally missed* blah blah" And I'm like oooh this actually makes more sense and sort of changes my whole opinion on this piece of writing.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Someone's paragraph length of text seems like just a single word for another. Someone can also be such a "nature's child" that all skills beyond walking and breathing seem like high-brow learned activity to them. Someone's half-witted chit-chat can seem like reciting a books worth of knowledge to another.

Does this seem so incredible?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Well, sometimes I do. Like you, I don't value quoting authorities very much (except when the relevance is obvious), and prefer to write out my own ideas. I used to have the patience to write long posts, but these days I find that I don't care as much... I mean, I can still do it if I force myself, but it doesn't come naturally anymore. Maybe it means I'm finally recovering from all that Ti influence I experienced from my past. Or maybe it's the result of being out of school for so long. These days, it seems like it's easier to just write out a couple of sentences, and not bother with obsessing over clarity. The people who are going to get my point, are probably going to get it with far less explanation anyway.

Another thing I find myself doing a lot, is quoting my own past posts, especially the ones on repetitive topics that keep appearing, because I feel like they're more complete and lucid than anything I would have the energy to produce now.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Yeah, I think quoting is a lot of time intellectually lazy. Sometimes quoting is useful if you need to prove your point. Also I like theory, but I believe theory is only important if you are willing to apply to real world examples and see if the theory makes sense in the context that you are using. and if someone posts something from his/her life that might disprove the theory you can't keep saying your theory is totally infallible with out looking like a cock.

S

Sniffles

I like philosophy, I'm not good at it, but I still like it. I often miss things when reading philosophy and people are like "blah blah *something I totally missed* blah blah" And I'm like oooh this actually makes more sense and sort of changes my whole opinion on this piece of writing.

Well remember philosophy simply means "love of wisdom". :wink:

Fortunately, not all philosophy is heavy reading. There are plenty of books out there that explore philosophical issues without the endless pedantry. Among my favorites is the Socrates meets... series; where Socrates meets famous philosophers in the afterlife and debates them. Its intended for light reading, but still has you think deeply. Not to mention there's plenty of humor too.

Take this excerpt from Socrates meets Sartre:
SARTRE: Alas, alas, the absurdity of it all, the absurdity of my existence!

SOCRATES: He is indeed in absurdity, but not because of his existence.

SARTRE: It is as I thought: my very being is a "being-for-itself", endlessly frustrated in its inescapable and unending attempt to do the impossible, to become a "being-in-itself". But there is "no exit" from this self-contradiction. My own noblest possession, freedom, is my doom: I am "condemned to freedom." I am doomed to failure. I am an eternal Boston Red Sox fan, under a cosmic curse.

SOCRATES: He attempts to drown himself and his misery in the ocean of his own verbiage. He is right: that attempt is doomed to failure.

SARTRE: But am I really in Hell? How can that be? "Hell is other people." But I see no other people here, either my torturers or my torturees.

SOCRATES: That is because your ugly eyeballs are ingrown, like toenails, jean-Paul. Look outside yourself for once! Look here! Look at me!

SARTRE: Oh, oh. I spoke too soon. Here comes my torturer. O cruel and cursed irony of the gods-my torturer is to be Socrates! Objective truth in a toga!

SOCRATES: It could be worse, Jean-Paul; it could have been Jesus.
:laugh: