12 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default How to get rid of a "flat affect"

So I posted a link to my videos in my typing thread.

I know I came across as rather awkward in those videos. By awkward, I mean, having a flat affect- not showing a whole lot of enthusiasm or emotion, not showing alot of movement, etc.

I have posted videos on other occasions to other forums and have also had my flat affect pointed out there as well.

This flat affect thing bothers me because I think it could be affecting how people are perceiving me in the real world. I sometimes get the impression that people aren't attracted to me or interested in me because of this. I think I get turned down for jobs because I don't appear enthusiastic enough when I *know* internally, I badly want the job.

The question is, how do I appear more lively and energetic to the outside world while still being myself? I'm not one of those people who's all "La La La La" or "Oh My God!" or "Let's Party!!". Okay, that may be a bit over the top but I think you get the idea.

I think I may have mild asperger syndrome. One of the symptoms of Aspergers is a flat affect. I know I was very Aspergerish in my childhood. I never got an official diagnosis though.

If only people knew how lively my inner world was.................
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

You should post a link in here to make it easy. I posted a video in that thread too. I was told I came across as chill. I'm wondering what differentiates flat and chill. I don't know.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The flat affect, eh?

See SuchIrony? I told you you were an ISTJ, I just knew it, hehe. ISTJ types suffer from the flat affect the most. Followed by INTJs.

Hmm notice how I'm leaving out INTPs on purpose heh? Well we're not far behind... like 3rd or 4th place, I guess.

To loosen up, try exaggerating and ramping up your movements and speech as they come. To you, this will feel like an awkward exaggeration and maybe even a bit nutty, but in reality, you will just be coming off as moving and talking like a normal nice kinda bubbly girl.

And I guess since you're a girl, you have to smile more, if u want to lose your flat affect (which is just your natural self, u shouldn't feel bad about it, in case you do). Notice how an INFP just made a thread about smiling too much? You need a little bit of that.

Oh yeah, and also, xanax... if you're desperate to loosen up. You know how people will sometimes say to their friends "you know, you're a lot more fun when you drink!"? Xanax is like the pill form of loosening up. It's a short cut, and kinda like cheating.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    You should post a link in here to make it easy. I posted a video in that thread too. I was told I came across as chill. I'm wondering what differentiates flat and chill. I don't know.
    yeah I always appear chilled on the outside even when I'm freaking out on the inside. well most of the time some times i freak out both inside and outside.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I haven't seen your video, but I had flat affect when I was prescribed Zoloft some years ago. That was partly why I got off of it.. it was kind of abnormal for me. Are you on any meds like this (something screwing with your serotonin levels at least). Like I said, I haven't seen your video. In my case, I was kind of Spock-like for a year. You at least come off somewhat animated in text.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Do you feel like the flat effect is solely how you are percieved? Or do you also feel unnaturally flat?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    You should post a link in here to make it easy.
    I'll take the liberty of posting the link here. I'm sure she would realize that we need to see an example of what she's talking about in order to offer suggestions.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1314888

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

SuchIrony, please forgive me, as I definitely don't mean to invalidate your experience here, but you don't strike me as having a flat affect at all. Your facial expressions, while not "enthusiastic" by any stretch, were still slightly varied, and appropriate to the subject you were talking about. Your vocal inflection, too, was varied and even more expressive than mine, and you also have great projection. I caught a few hand gestures and posture shifts in there, as well.

I think this just comes with the territory of being an introvert, sometimes. We tend to mirror the enthusiasm or intensity of our company, at least I do, and in the absence of company, resign to a pretty low-key, quieter and maybe even "boring" form of expression (at least in comparison to a lot of extraverts.) Would you say that this is how you are all the time, no matter who you're with, what you're feeling, or the setting you're in? If your answer is yes, I would say that there might be more to it than "just introversion." You mentioned that you were also a little nervous to do this, which makes sense, being an introvert, and I wonder if that didn't affect either (or both) your presentation or your perception of yourself in your videos.

Personally, I liked your videos, and I don't see why you would want to change your manner of expression.

I'm sorry this doesn't really help.

garbage

Flatness is just a bit of guardedness, or at least the impression of it

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    I think this just comes with the territory of being an introvert, sometimes. We tend to mirror the enthusiasm or intensity of our company, at least I do, and in the absence of company, resign to a pretty low-key, quieter and maybe even "boring" form of expression (at least in comparison to a lot of extraverts.) Would you say that this is how you are all the time, no matter who you're with, what you're feeling, or the setting you're in? If your answer is yes, I would say that there might be more to it than "just introversion." You mentioned that you were also a little nervous to do this, which makes sense, being an introvert, and I wonder if that didn't affect either (or both) your presentation or your perception of yourself in your videos.

Personally, I liked your videos, and I don't see why you would want to change your manner of expression.

I'm sorry this doesn't really help.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I am prone to mirroring others enthusiasm and intensity to some extent but there are some people whose enthusiasm or intensity I'll never be able to match. I feel somewhat uncomfortable around these people because I feel like I should match it more and I would be totally out of my element doing so.

Here's another I video I made today. It's a little shorter and more spontaneous in that I didn't have a preset list of questions I was reading from. Still pretty low-key overall.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne