User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 20 of 20

  1. #11
    Senior Member chachamaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    EXPP
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Drink before recording.
    a cat is fine too

  2. #12
    Senior Member Tabula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    but there are some people whose enthusiasm or intensity I'll never be able to match.
    Of course not... you're not an extravert! Even among extraverts, some of them will be far more enthusiastic than others, and after that, a matter of when and where.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Here's another I video I made today. It's a little shorter and more spontaneous in that I didn't have a preset list of questions I was reading from. Still pretty low-key overall.
    INFJ and not flat at all, IMHO.

  3. #13
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Who cares what people think.

    You will catch authenticity with authenticity.

  4. #14
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

    Yes I am prone to mirroring others enthusiasm and intensity to some extent but there are some people whose enthusiasm or intensity I'll never be able to match. I feel somewhat uncomfortable around these people because I feel like I should match it more and I would be totally out of my element doing so.

    Here's another I video I made today. It's a little shorter and more spontaneous in that I didn't have a preset list of questions I was reading from. Still pretty low-key overall.
    I'm SO sorry about that "flat affect" comment. I think this entire thread is my fault.

    I will say that in this video, it does seem to be lessened a bit, and you seem a lot more expressive towards the end of the video in particular. Another thing I wanted to compliment you on, is that you're very articulate, focused, and leave few pauses in your speech. I don't seem nearly as calm or articulate in videos. I don't know why I didn't give you the compliments on those things before.

    I think that you're almost definitely an INxJ from the things you say. All the "P" characteristics you describe seem minor, and many Js possess the same ones. If you're a P, then there's no way I could be a J. In fact, my hunch is that you only went with INTP in MBTI initially because you tried to convert your Socionics type form LII/INTj. Am I correct? But in reality, you can't do that. I always run around trying to stop the peddlers of that lousy advice about the J/P switch for Introverts. That does NOT work.

  5. #15
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm SO sorry about that "flat affect" comment. I think this entire thread is my fault.

    I will say that in this video, it does seem to be lessened a bit, and you seem a lot more expressive towards the end of the video in particular. Another thing I wanted to compliment you on, is that you're very articulate, focused, and leave few pauses in your speech. I don't seem nearly as calm or articulate in videos. I don't know why I didn't give you the compliments on those things before.

    I think that you're almost definitely an INxJ from the things you say. All the "P" characteristics you describe seem minor, and many Js possess the same ones. If you're a P, then there's no way I could be a J. In fact, my hunch is that you only went with INTP in MBTI initially because you tried to convert your Socionics type form LII/INTj. Am I correct? But in reality, you can't do that. I always run around trying to stop the peddlers of that lousy advice about the J/P switch for Introverts. That does NOT work.
    On socionics tests, INTj has been the most common result and I relate to most of the profile. If you feel that a different socionics type fits me better, please let me know. I'm not entirely confident of my socionics type. I do know that the J/P switch does not always hold true when converting between MBTI and socionics. They are related, yet different systems and describe the functions somewhat different. For example, some MBTI INTPs are socionics INTjs and some are socionics INTps. A smaller number are some other socionic type.

    I think the second video, I was a little more relaxed because I didn't rehearse what I'd say so much and went with the flow more and let my thoughts travel where they will.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  6. #16
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post


    The question is, how do I appear more lively and energetic to the outside world while still being myself?
    Wear some color.

    Because ... (I realized a reason might be helpful) we live in a world of sensors and they are sensitive to presentation. I don't see that your affect is flat. You come across to me as a sensitive thoughtful person. You're very beige, though. I realize you probably have clothes other than the ones you were wearing in the one video I saw, but I didn't see any color in your environment either, so I am guessing it's not big in your grand scheme of things and I'm suggesting perhaps some color in and of itself would help you appear more lively and energetic. And at any rate, it's easier to change clothes/makeup than it is to change your entire way of being, so that would be a start.

  7. #17
    ThatGirl
    Guest

    Default

    Listen to more Jay Z

    [YOUTUBE="Zp_5ntZ5yEk"]I get flat when I am locked in N[/YOUTUBE]

  8. #18
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Wear some color.

    Because ... (I realized a reason might be helpful) we live in a world of sensors and they are sensitive to presentation. I don't see that your affect is flat. You come across to me as a sensitive thoughtful person. You're very beige, though. I realize you probably have clothes other than the ones you were wearing in the one video I saw, but I didn't see any color in your environment either, so I am guessing it's not big in your grand scheme of things and I'm suggesting perhaps some color in and of itself would help you appear more lively and energetic. And at any rate, it's easier to change clothes/makeup than it is to change your entire way of being, so that would be a start.
    I actually do wear quite a bit of color. Just didn't happen to that particular day.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  9. #19
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    This flat affect thing bothers me because I think it could be affecting how people are perceiving me in the real world. I sometimes get the impression that people aren't attracted to me or interested in me because of this. I think I get turned down for jobs because I don't appear enthusiastic enough when I *know* internally, I badly want the job.

    The question is, how do I appear more lively and energetic to the outside world while still being myself? I'm not one of those people who's all "La La La La" or "Oh My God!" or "Let's Party!!". Okay, that may be a bit over the top but I think you get the idea.

    I think I may have mild asperger syndrome. One of the symptoms of Aspergers is a flat affect. I know I was very Aspergerish in my childhood. I never got an official diagnosis though.
    I wouldn't know, but there are Asperger qualities that overlap with INTP -- the connection is not a new one. And Aspies tend to identify most (i think) with the INTP mbti.

    I think the biggest difference I've seen is that INTPs could learn social skills if they wanted to but simply don't care to do so if they think it's stupid; Aspies have a really hard time with doing it even when they'd like to because it's like a foreign language and they don't even seem to perceive the cues. There's also a literalness that comes with being an Aspie that runs counter to INTP intuition, who have the ability to read subtext.

    If it helps:

    There was a time in my life where I wanted to learn how to smile better, even though I thought I was. So I practiced in front of a mirror for a month and took pictures and got comments until I learned to match up my inner feelings with what I let come through my face.

    I did the same sort of thing with my voice. i was tired of sounding flat... and it wasn't like my inner world was flat, it was just that everything came out flat on the surface... so I recorded my voice and listened and worked on syncing up my inner feelings with my outer inflection. There's also the reality that men's voices tend to be flatter and women more readily use inflection, so you're probably feeling like you are "below par" compared with other women, whereas you might be more normal for an IxTx type. Anyway, when I'm tired or don't feel like investing energy to sync things up, my voice can still be flat, and my friends tell me my voice is nice and calm rather than over-emotion-laden, but I still have more inflection now than I did. I just had to practice. There's a detachment from whatever IxTx types are experiencing, a natural "buffer," so you sort of have to reconnect body to emotion.

    I also used to wear a lot more blacks and grays, but nowadays I play a lot more with color, now that I'm more confident with my clothing abilities as well as more willing to let emotions show.


    EDIT: I watched the second video you referenced in this thread, only about a minute of it.

    You have inflection in your voice -- maybe not 'crazy inflection' like some of the ExFx female types, but definitely there is inflection. You sound perfectly normal and not flat to me... flat is flat, and you had natural rises and falls throughout each line. I'm not sure why someone told you that you didn't have inflection.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #20
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    On socionics tests, INTj has been the most common result and I relate to most of the profile. If you feel that a different socionics type fits me better, please let me know. I'm not entirely confident of my socionics type. I do know that the J/P switch does not always hold true when converting between MBTI and socionics. They are related, yet different systems and describe the functions somewhat different. For example, some MBTI INTPs are socionics INTjs and some are socionics INTps. A smaller number are some other socionic type.

    I think the second video, I was a little more relaxed because I didn't rehearse what I'd say so much and went with the flow more and let my thoughts travel where they will.
    I actually have no reason to doubt your Socionic type... I was just concerned that you or someone else had done the conversion to INTP, because I couldn't see you typing as INTP under normal circumstances. For instance, I don't think an MBTI test would ever have given you that result initially.

Similar Threads

  1. Tips to get rid of a prejudice.
    By braziljoe in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 02:08 AM
  2. [ENFJ] How to get out of ENFJ love-funk?
    By rydenio in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO