• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crying for no apparent reason

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
During the last 3-4 months, maybe 6-7 times now, I'll be listening to music and for no apparent reason I will start crying.
And it's usually more than a few tears..It's a flood and it's uncontrollable.

The music doesn't have to be particularly sad nor does my mood.
The song doesn't have to be associated with any particular memory, nor have I had any "shocks" to the system on the days it happens.
I just start crying and I can't stop until it burns itself out.

It only happens when I listen to music.
And it seems so random.

Any ideas?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I don't know, but time's i've cried for no reason I was really depressed but their never seemed to be trigger like music.

E

Epiphany

Maybe it's your subconscious expressing itself. I don't know. It doesn't sound unhealthy though. It's probably better than repressing it. I find it difficult to cry even when I'm feeling sad, and it's not because of some macho bullshit. I rarely show much emotion outwardly. I'm more likely to repress it or express it in writing.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Are you missing someone?

Hmmmm.. sometimes??

I don't know, but time's i've cried for no reason I was really depressed but their never seemed to be trigger like music.

I was really depressed.. I don't think it's so bad these days. That's one of the weird things about it is that like today, I was not sad or upset.
I was in a decent mood.
I would say It's been happening since I have been feeling "better"

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Maybe it's your subconscious expressing itself. I don't know. It doesn't sound unhealthy though. It's probably better than repressing it. I find it difficult to cry even when I'm feeling sad, and it's not because of some macho bullshit. I rarely show much emotion outwardly. I'm more likely to repress it or express it in writing.

I've no doubt it's some repressed stuff coming out.. But I wonder why it seems to have no real association to anything.
There is no focal point to it.

Sunny Ghost

Crazy hormones?

Sometimes when mine are in a flux, like menstrating or new birth control, I'll cry for no apparent reason.

Depression does this to me, too.

Music or movies can really pull on my heart strings for some reason, too.

I'm just a cryer, really. :(

You know, arclight... I'm not sure if you are male or female.

E

Epiphany

I've no doubt it's some repressed stuff coming out.. But I wonder why it seems to have no real association to anything.
There is no focal point to it.

There may be no direct association that you're aware of to the music, but music itself is very powerful and can have a profound effect. Maybe it is simply opening up a way for you to express repressed feelings. Like therapy.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Crazy hormones?

Sometimes when mine are in a flux, like menstrating or new birth control, I'll cry for no apparent reason.

I am all male :laugh: right down to my furry chest..

I do score slightly on the female side of brain gender tests..

Now.. Hormones could be the culprit.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This sounds familiar. It happens to me occasionally too, and only during periods where I've "turned off" my feelings or emotions for a brief period. Of course, I've reached the point where I am almost physically incapable of crying, but moisture still fogs my eyes when a particularly moving song will play (for me, it's Green Fields of France by Dropkick Murphys).

So perhaps you've been repressing something, as others have said... or your mind just needs some way to emote, since emotions are generally healthy (at least I've been told they are)...

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
There may be no direct association that you're aware of to the music, but music itself is very powerful and can have a profound effect. Maybe it is simply opening up a way for you to express repressed feelings. Like therapy.

Well a very fucked up anniversary is approaching.. I wonder if these weird bouts of crying precede anniversaries of emotionally traumatic events?

The last 3-4 months would certainly be anniversaries of some pretty grim times.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Hmmmm.. sometimes??

I was really depressed.. I don't think it's so bad these days. That's one of the weird things about it is that like today, I was not sad or upset.
I was in a decent mood.
I would say It's been happening since I have been feeling "better"
Yeah I've def had time's where i've become less depressed and had crying spells, like i was too depressed to cry before and than i'm not but i'm still depressed.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
This sounds familiar. It happens to me occasionally too, and only during periods where I've "turned off" my feelings or emotions for a brief period. Of course, I've reached the point where I am almost physically incapable of crying, but moisture still fogs my eyes when a particularly moving song will play (for me, it's Green Fields of France by Dropkick Murphys).

So perhaps you've been repressing something, as others have said... or your mind just needs some way to emote, since emotions are generally healthy (at least I've been told they are)...

Considering my emotionally erratic and intense behavior at times in the last year or so makes me wonder what I would have been like if I wasn't repressing stuff then.. :peepwall:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
no real answers for you, but do have an idea. for the past, as much as you can remember, and if it happens again, log when it happened, what you were doing before that day, how you were feeling, what song/s it was, how you felt afterwards, any major thoughts, and any "oddities" - anything kind of abnormal, really vivid dreams or being sick or whatever - in the recent time period. my suspicion would be that there is a pattern that you will be able to find somewhere in all of that, that can perhaps point you in a helpful direction. personally i tend to get hyperemotional outbursts, and i used to not understand them at all. now i can usually isolate a few major precipitating factors, those generally being physical sickness/injury/hormones, lack of sleep, and the end of a period of intense activity. can't really stop them, but at least can prepare myself and temper them to a certain extent.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah I've def had time's where i've become less depressed and had crying spells, like i was too depressed to cry before and than i'm not but i'm still depressed.

Hmm yeah.. I didn't really cry a lot when I was in the thick of things.. I wonder if I am finally feeling sad, just honest sadness over everything??

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Listening to music sometimes touches me emotionally and unlocks feelings I wasn't previously aware of. Perhaps particular songs have a combination of melody and lyrics that bypass your conscious thought processes and touch feelings that you weren't aware of? Also, when I am depressed it is difficult for me to access my feelings. They only resurface when I'm in a more up mood. So, the scenario could be that because you are feeling better moodwise, underlying unexpressed emotions have become accessible to you through the pathway of music. :) :hug:

carnada

MBTI Type
ISFP
Crazy hormones?

u know....funny that u ask....But a girl once told arclight that he was a lesbian inside a dude's body :p

T

ThatGirl

I've posted about this several times. It has no specific weight....it just happens.

Creepy....but normal.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've posted about this several times. It has no specific weight....it just happens.

Creepy....but normal.

It had/has a very specific weight actually.. I had refused to mourn for my EX.. Fighting a losing battle was killing me inside and out.. Now I allow myself to mourn and I feel much better.. The crying has stopped. The anger is fading and I am accepting my fate.
It's all good :)