User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Generally, humanity lives in a state of lack of contentment. Otherwise, we wouldn't have created and destroyed so many buildings, cathedrals, empires all along our history. Thus, I try to keep in mind that I will not be completely satisfied with what I have, no matter what. Which means that I know my dreams will never come true, since if they came true, I would not be happier as a result.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

ThatGirl

Ha! Excellent thread, the answer is, we begin to think about so what now?

Then we kick ass, more so than we ever imagined before.

MBTI
    yupp

I think me becoming an international spy/colonizing a foreign planet was never likely to come true.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I wasn't raised in such an environment that I could have lifelong dreams. The socially agreed epitome of dreams possible for me would be living in Brooklyn and being the most cleanly dressed, spiritually pure person in existence. So I guess I started living the real dream a long time ago when I left that life.

I've had to ditch other dreams: settling down in old age with my (ex)wife, finishing my Victorian Second Empire/Queen Anne beauty. But new doors open up with new possibilities. I don't think many people's lives go how they plan it, and some people with gargantuan will power who mistake their plans for their identity complete their plans at their own personal and their loved ones' expenses.

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

I once heard someone say:

"Growing up means realizing you're not going to set the world on fire."

Sounds bad, but I interpret it as setting challenging, yet realistic goals. I think we all had grandiose dreams and perceptions of ourselves in our youth (youthful narcissism), but once you get older you can see yourself and your capabilities more clearly. Once I got over the shock of realizing I am not nearly as perfect as I thought, life got easier.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    what do you do when you reach the point in your life when you realize that all of the things you really wanted to do when you grew up are very unlikely now... when you wonder if you sold out your goals for comfort. Do you give up? Do you still try? Do you try to find a compromise? Am I the only one who wonders if they've hit that fork in the road?
    I guess that my "dreams" were always simply massively unrealistic, in that it's not that I haven't achieved them, but that *nobody* in my lifetime is likely to. So I'm not so sure that I've hit that fork in the road so much as found out that the road just doesn't go where I'd optimally have wanted it to. So now I'm trying to simply enjoy the journey on that road anyway, and if a tempting path branches off somewhere in the future, reevaluate at that point. Not I'm not that good at it, but that's a different question .

The journey can still be fun and rewarding, even if the destination's not where kid-you wanted it to be. I'm not sure if that's selling out or wisdom, but if it brings some satisfaction and joy, who cares? .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... I'll NEVER become a mob boss or an assassin those dreams were unrealistic really...

However, my wishes to learn to cook all kinds of things, drink wine, travel to other countries and speak another language have all been attained... I don't think I'll ever end up working in the diplomatic corps or travel to every country in the world though... the last of which is quite sad

Everything seems so possible when you're a kid, it's kind of sad to realize that it's not really I guess
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Once I started dating my boyfriend, my daydreams of living a life of luxury and glamour disappeared and I just wanted to make enough to live happily and to start a family with him, because that dream eclipses all of the rest.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    yeah... I'll NEVER become a mob boss or an assassin those dreams were unrealistic really...
    I don't think you would enjoy it as much as you think, if you HAD managed to become one. That job is probably not as glamorous as it sounds.

However, my wishes to learn to cook all kinds of things, drink wine, travel to other countries and speak another language have all been attained... I don't think I'll ever end up working in the diplomatic corps or travel to every country in the world though... the last of which is quite sad
    True, working in the diplomatic corps doing anything interesting might be unattainable. But there's still a possibility that you might one day manage to go to other countries again. I wouldn't rule it out. You might only get to stay for a short time, but people do save up money and go on short trips to other countries.
    Everything seems so possible when you're a kid, it's kind of sad to realize that it's not really I guess
    Well, it's not so much that those things are impossible, just that you realize what it would take to achieve them, and find that other things are more important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Once I started dating my boyfriend, my daydreams of living a life of luxury and glamour disappeared and I just wanted to make enough to live happily and to start a family with him, because that dream eclipses all of the rest.
    Don't ever call that a dream. What you're describing is nothing more than following your reproductive instincts and/or tradition. If it is a dream, it's a shallow and common one that shows a lack of individuality. I just wish people who sold out on their dreams for the normalcy and animal-comfort of marriage and children at least had the guts to admit that that was what they've done.

*says the asexual and infertile person for whom that was never a possibility in the first place*

LOL, but seriously, don't listen to that bitterness. You're happy, and that's all that matters.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I decided to chase my dream instead of let it slip through my fingers.