User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default The Ti headache - how do you handle it?

There seems to be something, let us call it the Ti headache, that makes you cringe and go up the walls when somebody uses an abusive quantity of logical fallacies in his or her argumentation.
    I personally got an overdose of this today listening to a round of pundits on tv discuss the future political and economic developement of Egypt. What made me want to throw something at the screen was not that, naturally, I disagreed with some of the positions taken, but rather that so much of the argumentation of just about everybody at the table - including those I was mostly in agreement with - was based on false comparisons and premature conclusions. They were comitting just about every sin in the debating manual.

In a face to face debate with somebody you can address these things. But what if you are the passive receiver (reader, tv/radio audience) of something like this? Besides the obvious, changing channels and trying to forget about it, are there any strategies one could use? How do you deal with the almost physical pain it causes? I'm not only referring to political commentary but to any sort of Ti rape that so often causes this sort of headache. Experiences? Suggestions? Solidarity at least? *attempts puppy dog eyes*
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Is that why I've been getting headaches lately? I thought it was allergies, but there has been a whole bunch of logic abuse surrounding me lately... (and it burrrrnnnnnsssss)

Sniffles

Humour helps.

[youtube="OcvnUyOzh6Q"]Lewis Black on Ti headaches[/youtube]

NPcomplete

I usually walk out and go rant to my friend or I just forget it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Is that why I've been getting headaches lately? I thought it was allergies, but there has been a whole bunch of logic abuse surrounding me lately... (and it burrrrnnnnnsssss)
    Sounds like class action lawsuit material. Now whom do we sue?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I either rant about it or find someone who agrees with the horseshit and berate them. Or I just ignore it.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTe

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    How do you deal with the almost physical pain it causes? I'm not only referring to political commentary but to any sort of Ti rape that so often causes this sort of headache.
    There's nothing "almost" about it. I feel the mercury rising with each non sequitur and false analogy. This shit has kept me up frothing at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    find someone who agrees with the horseshit and berate them.
    This made me lol.

I usually just tune out the source of abuse. If it's right in front of me (e.g., I hear some poor sap repeating the unsanitized poo doubtlessly picked up from these "pundits"), I do a cost benefit analysis and either tear it up if it's worth bothering or deflect it with humor if not.

ThatGirl

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I cant stand watching say...someone negotiating the sale of a car. Other people in arguments, where the point is clearly being missed, not represented properly, or the communication is just not happening and people aren't listening to each other.

Witnessing these types of interactions drive me up the wall, much with the same type of reaction you have described. It is absolutely fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sometimes I will step in and say something, if I have no authority to do so, I have to stop listening because of how worked up and tense I can get.

MBTI
    INTe

As for medication, I seek out a Ti-friendly source to frolic and forget.

Turn off the television? or find other, consistent sources of news... or just rant about it to a friend that always helps. Perhaps don't hold such high expectations for pundits, their job is to talk and give commentary, I don't think logical consistency or argumentation comes with the job.