User Tag List

First 123

Thread: The wrong life

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Have you ever felt as though you were living the wrong life?

I have a good life by most measures. I have made significant progress toward professional and personal goals, have everything I need and much of what I want, and have few regrets. For years now, however, there has been this undercurrent of feeling that I am living the wrong life, almost like those sci/fi stories in which someone lands in a parallel universe where their life turned out quite differently. I look back and wonder, at what point did I make the "wrong" turn away from that parallel existence? Which is the life I was "meant" to lead? My real life is the better life, so why do I feel so strongly called by the alternative, as if I am missing something more important than all I actually have? Has anyone else experienced something like this?
    for starts, you should get more literal about wrong turns in your life, not so broad. because this way, keeping it abstract, you wont make real life changes if you dont define problem more precisely.
    what you described almost sounds like my daily horoscope , no offense..... just pointing out that sometimes answers are right in front of our nose while we keep digging in theories

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I kept things general, especially in the OP, because I was less interested in trying to get someone to help me solve my problems than in seeing how commonplace this perspective is, and how others might have experienced it. Yes, I hope this sort of input does help me, but I am curious about it as a more general phenomenon as well. Highlander speculated that it might be type-related, which hadn't occurred to me but is an interesting premise. I had assumed that every type would be subject to this in their own way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ???

I often feel as though I was born in the wrong generation. I would have killed the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

In all seriousness I often struggle with how modern society is set-up, how successes are measured, and how it differs from what I would find ideal. I think by and large, living life has been thrown to the wayside (especially in America) and it is hard to jump off of the hamster wheel. I try to make sure I am doing all I can to live up to my own ideals.
    "Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What would you find "ideal"? What attracts you about those other decades? How do you come to terms with being in the generation you are in?

MBTI
    INFP

I've felt that way since I was about 12. I guess I figured that's life for the vast majority, and that people just try not to think about it.

Actually I still figure that.