• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hatred- useful or poisonous?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
how does merely identifying something you passionately dislike help you survive?

i hate the behavior of serial murder because it is removing the only real asset someone has for intrinsically unnecessary reasons, not because i fear for my survival.

Serial murderers picks random targets... there's no reason for somebody to die except for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's about hating something that violates what you believe is the way the world is suppose to be. The principles of a just world. Hate drives the action to get rid of what in our mind is unjust. For if it's allow to continue, our whole foundation of how the world works (should work) goes poof. At least that's how the theories go. (or in this case my way of twisting the theories ;) )

Edit: For sanity... for our false belief... we have hatred? :unsure: how does false believes affect survival... hmmm it's in the back of my mind. Perhaps perception makes a difference in how you act and from that affects survival. A weak argument. I'll get back to you later.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Serial murderers picks random targets... there's no reason for somebody to die except for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. It's about hating something that violates what you believe is the way the world is suppose to be. The principles of a just world. Hate drives the action to get rid of what in our mind is unjust. For if it's allow to continue, our whole foundation of how the world works (should work) goes poof. At least that's how the theories go. (or in this case my way of twisting the theories ;) )

right... but in this case, there is absolutely no fear involved. part of pursuing good/happiness/love is willing the same onto others, and serial murder disallows that possibility in any given victim... cost being someone's only real asset (life) benefit being zilch.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
right... but in this case, there is absolutely no fear involved. part of pursuing good/happiness/love is willing the same onto others, and serial murder disallows that possibility in any given victim... cost being someone's only real asset (life) benefit being zilch.

The fear is in the mind... Fear of breaking our belief that there's order in the world. Fear of Murphy's Law... shit happens. If that is true, then there's no point in trying to do anything. World with order. Good people are rewarded and bad people punished. An abstract concept of fear. I suppose that doesn't apply to you.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
The fear is in the mind... Fear of breaking our belief that there's order in the world. Fear of Murphy's Law... shit happens. If that is true, then there's no point in trying to do anything. World with order. Good people are rewarded and bad people punished. An abstract concept of fear. I suppose that doesn't apply to you.

i understand and have experienced both fear and appreciation (the foundation of love), therefore im often able to dismiss fear and choose appreciability.

once one grasps what's within (understands) then they can go outside of its mechanics and control it. just because i understand fear doesnt mean i dont still have it, i am just not often controlled by it for the aforementioned reason.

the phrase "there is nothing to fear but fear itself" is quite apt... we fear what we dont understand, and most people dont understand fear. to understand fear is to know this and thus become free of it. ie, to say "all that is inherently true of the unknown is that i dont know it, which implies nothing about its nature". if anything, the positive outcome that understanding what was previously unknown often brings is what draws me towards what i dont know rather than drives me away from it.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
i understand and have experienced both fear and appreciation (the foundation of love), therefore im often able to dismiss fear and choose appreciability.

once one grasps what's within (understands) then they can go outside of its mechanics and control it. just because i understand fear doesnt mean i dont still have it, i am just not often controlled by it for the aforementioned reason.

the phrase "there is nothing to fear but fear itself" is quite apt... we fear what we dont understand, and most people dont understand fear. to understand fear is to know this and thus become free of it. ie, to say "all that is inherently true of the unknown is that i dont know it, which implies nothing about its nature". if anything, the positive outcome that understanding what was previously unknown often brings is what draws me towards what i dont know rather than drives me away from it.

Fair enough. I agree that fear is in the unknown. If the concept of fear is unknown, then yes there will be fear of fear. Off on a tangent though. Shall we go off topic?

The fear I was referring to is the fear of collapse of the world as a person understands it. It doesn't apply to everybody... (that's what I meant) but many people have the concept in mind. The concept... of the way the world is structured, of karma... "what goes around comes around" whatever... there's a fear in having it be wrong. Fear in the unknown... chaotic world without order. Fear drives actions to maintain that illusionary "safe" world. That's all.

Clover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Hate is very poisonous, I know the hate I have inside of me won't ever leave until the person that caused it is dead and buried. For me it isn't something that can just be ignored, it is something that haunts me everyday. I identify it as love gone sour, a piece of my heart that has rotted but just won't fall away. I can't see hatred being very helpful to the individual person, it certainly hasn't helped me in any way & I haven't seen anything positive come from people acting on their feelings of hatred.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
My general interpretation of hate is that it's passionately being angry with/disliking someone/something. It's entirely poisonous, and I avoid hating people, because it tends to make me blind to anything redeeming in them/that they do, and being angry with them, does nothing useful for me or them (other than possibly resulting in a fight and them getting injured).

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Serial murderers picks random targets... there's no reason for somebody to die except for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edit: For sanity... for our false belief... we have hatred? :unsure: how does false believes affect survival... hmmm it's in the back of my mind. Perhaps perception makes a difference in how you act and from that affects survival. A weak argument. I'll get back to you later.

Rarely do serial murderers kill randomly. (Edit: I see most of our points connect. For the sake of explication, here's my take anyway.)

Serial murderers typically kill to fulfill a personal prerogative. Most killers do so as a means of reconciling internal turmoil and/or to achieve a sense of balance for cruelties received. It's why certain killers only target specific demographics (Bundy - women; Dahmer - homosexual men; Gacy - teen males).

While the horror of the behavior is usually accelerated by an internal combustible (mental disease and/or defect), most serial killers become as such due to (successive) transformative behaviors paid to them during critical periods of their lives.

Returning to my initial point, hatred is an inflamed emotional powderkeg tendered towards those we find perpetually oppressive. In most "sane" people, this results from a constellation of "lesser" affronts to which the victim feels are unjust / unavoidable and rarely matures (thankfully) into the horrific.

Hatred is thusly a deviated survival strategy given momentum by seemingly-inescapable persecution. The individual usually chooses to hate because he has no other means to deal with those who've continuously "harmed" him. In this sense, hatred could be understood to be a means for escape.

At any rate, I suspect we've adjusted the panorama of my initial idea into territories unconnected to its original form...

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think hate is useful for keeping you away from things which don't help you or could harm you. It's better to hate things/ideas rather than people, but sometimes you can't help hating people. I hate (and have hated) quite a few things, although it doesn't always last.

There's an important balance... hatred needs to be acknowledged and discussed to some degree, but you shouldn't wallow in it and let it color your whole worldview, because that makes life more arduous to live.

redacted

There's an important balance... hatred needs to be acknowledged and discussed to some degree, but you shouldn't wallow in it and let it color your whole worldview, because that makes life more arduous to live.

hate, by my definition, is something you wallow in.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
a lot of people confuse anger with hate, but i think anger is just sadness (discontent with something) mixed with aggression (resulting from intensified frustration) the frustration/aggression usually results from the inability (perceived or not) to resolve that which someone is discontent with. .

Good point (bolded part). I think I meant I need the feeling of anger when I try to get rid of people who take advantage of me. I think I really never hated anybody. :thinking: I think I need some negative emotions (anger) in order to do some things. I don't think I am capable of long term hatred althought if somebody would harm one of my children....I don't know.

The thread started with a word hatred which is a bit different than a word hate. I think hatred is hate turned into long term state of hatred. I have been so far incompenent of feeling hatred. I am perfectly capable of feeling hate but I think hating somebody will consume lots of energy (too much). Hate is a strong emotion and it requires lots of energy. Hate is many times related to pain. The feeling of hurt is dealt by hiding it and feeling the hate. I think aggression is related to hate even if hating somebody doesn't mean being aggressive and being aggressive doesn't mean hating.

I still think Uber needs hugs and to be loved because of his hatered (if he really feels that way) ;) It also seems that Uber enjoys to provocate people and want's to be taken seriously with this business because he has totally ignored my Uber needs hugs - posts. :smile:

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Fourth time lucky!!

"Ego defense mechanisms are often used by the ego when id behavior conflicts with reality and either society's morals, norms, and taboos or the individual's expectations as a result of the internalization of these morals, norms, and taboos."
Source: Ego (spirituality) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To illustrate, something psychologists often say comes to mind. "When someone points the finger there are usually three pointing right back".

Hatred of others is a projection of self-hatred. When a person says they don't like another person, what they really mean is that they don't like in that other person whatever is symbolic of their own self-hatred.

My own metaphor for describing ego is that of firewall or forcefield. Ego is like an emotional firewall with offensive capabilities. When a person's self-esteem drops their emotional firewall (ego) rises to protect what remains of their self-esteem. While the firewall is in effect, that person will think irrationally. It can be very difficult, if at all possible, to reason with a person in this state. Hate and hostility are the weapons of the firewall.

I've typed this out four times already. I'll write more on self-esteem later. My posts on hatred keep getting eaten by the system. I think it was some weird characters or something.

again, i think this is confusing anger with hate.

in this case, when "self esteem drops", a fear of inadequacy drives artificial compensation (ego) so that said person can attempt to maintain face, as well as frustration and anger (because when it real boils down to it, their ego doesnt count for anything and they still havent resolved the feeling of inadequacy) which would probably embody itself by trying to knock down the other person a few pegs, perhaps with criticism, or "i hate" phrases.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Not hate... not anger... more like dislike.

We notice and dislike in others what we unconsciously dislike about ourselves.

I don't think it's hate... afterall it's difficult to truly hate ourselves... If we do, perhaps it's more likely that we would have killed ourselves.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Hatred is poisonous and only clouds judgment. It compels one to act foolishly and out of haste.

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have disliked or dissaproved of certain behaviors I've deemed destructive but that is a thought process. It seems to me hatred is a feeling or emotion and I don't think I've ever experienced it. I do find certain behavior repulsive which might be an emotion but, since they're usually incomprehensible to me, they don't muster a feeling of hatred. I could be wrong but, in my personal view, hate is different from hatred. I think one can hate an action or result of one but hatred is directed at the person commiting the act. Perhaps that's why I haven't experienced it? Or perhaps it has to do with my viewpoint on the world which is a somewhat "naturalistic" one. I expect to see a whole gamut of behaviors and probably don't judge the person committing them enough to produce hatred.

Last edited:

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Hatred is a way of survival. Positive thinking has only brought me pain. Hatred is how I survive. In a way, I live off of pure spite.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hatred is a way of survival. Positive thinking has only brought me pain. Hatred is how I survive. In a way, I live off of pure spite.

steveo%20the%20grouch.jpg

Lethal Sage

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Pain is the spice of life. Did you think positively for one day or a few seconds?

You need to read Catcher and the Rye or Solitary Walker.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

What a depressing lifestyle. You don't have to be positive, but you don't have to hate. There are better ways of doing things. Pain is something to be embraced in a way. Without pain we wouldn't grow in the same way. Without pain the thrill of danger would disappear. Without pain, we might very well cease to be what makes us humans.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Pain is the spice of life. Did you think positively for one day or a few seconds?

You need to read Catcher and the Rye or Solitary Walker.

I thought positively for about 12 years. Then it all went to hell. If I was more pessimistic, then I would have been prepared for that douchebag.