• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hatred- useful or poisonous?

redacted

I hate the person because he's annoying me, the universally logical thing to do is to kill him -- that will give a 100 percent assurance that the particular object of hate will not annoy me any longer, hence life will be easier for me.

My hate is essentially caused by my desire to live easier, because it drives me to break through the barrier.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

that logic there is fine, but that's not what i'm talking about.

we're comparing "hate" to "not hate".

what if he annoyed you and you didn't hate him?

and why do you need hate to kill him if you want to in the first place? why is the intense, consuming dislike even necessary? you make it seem like a rational thing, but it's not. if you want him dead, kill him. fine. what positive role does hate play?

redacted

How could I not hate someone who annoys me? That's not logical.

so every annoyance causes a CONSUMING DISLIKE? annoyance != hate. hate is 100x more extreme.

what if someone annoyed you but served another purpose you wanted? your logic says you'd hate him, therefore you'd want to kill him.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

hahahha...:popc1:

So you're allowing your feelings (annoyance) to drive your life and your actions? (decision to hate?) Hmm. That's logical?

redacted

My hate is essentially caused by my desire to live easier, because it drives me to break through the barrier.

is your hate caused by annoyance? or a "desire to live easier"?

you're all over the place man. you just cannot be wrong.

stick to one line of reasoning. when i challenge you, don't change your definitions.

i guess i really have no hope of getting anywhere here. gotta go to class anyways.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so every annoyance causes a CONSUMING DISLIKE? annoyance != hate. hate is 100x more extreme.

I don't know the exact point on the graph where dislike becomes hate. :rolli:

So you're allowing your feelings (annoyance) to drive your life and your actions? (decision to hate?) Hmm. That's logical?

When the annoyance is interfering with my life, yes.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

because hate takes too much effort and is not productive- as a T you'd think that you might be logical enough to see that it's signifigantly easier to merely dislike someone- as that takes much less passion and therefore frees up your mental energy to do something PRODUCTIVE with your life! :rolli:

seriously Uber- you don't even beleive all of the shit that you're saying here- you're just baiting people for the sake of attention and/or debate :tongue:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
because hate takes too much effort and is not productive- as a T you'd think that you might be logical enough to see that it's signifigantly easier to merely dislike someone- as that takes much less passion and therefore frees up your mental energy to do something PRODUCTIVE with your life! :rolli:

seriously Uber- you don't even beleive all of the shit that you're saying here- you're just baiting people for the sake of attention and/or debate :tongue:

How exactly can you have a debate without someone arguing on the opposite end?

The title of this thread is clearly for debate purposes.

redacted

How exactly can you have a debate without someone arguing on the opposite end?

but debates are pointless unless people concede points that are wrong.

debate is about searching for truth.

(yay post 600)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Exactly how and why do you figure that this principle has somehow changed and no longer applies in the modern times?
Allow me to rephrase. The definition for groups has changed over times. Survival is still necessary... but the things we need to do to ensure survival has change. From the days ago, hatred fuels violence... war and fighting between tribes/bands for resources to survive. Hatred is an emotion that activates sympathetic drive... the so call "fight or flight" system. Survival nowadays isn't as simple as killing off the other group anymore... It's about power games, alliances. All those requires clear thinking. Anger driven by hatred serves little purpose. It can only cloud the mind.

So I'm saying... hatred isn't maladaptive in providing a drive for action, however it's not as useful as it once was.

Night: was there ever a shared identity? Isn't the rule always, divide and conquer?
Isn't a shared identity inanely built into us? We are social creatures... by being social we have a shared group identity.

Hatred is ultimately an emotion. And like all emotions, it has force. Whether it's useful or not depends in the end on how one channels it. Left within, it festers and poisons the soul:

"One cannot always carry an adder at one's breast, nor rise up every night to sow thorns in the garden of one's soul."--Oscar Wilde.

But if there are no positive forces in one's life, then, hate can very well be a driving force to living, more so than love can ever be.
*nods in agreement* Emotion is power... it's neutral... needs a direction to determine its effects good or bad.

I suppose live is precious... although nobody has ever told me precisely why. Why do people like living? I don't know at all. :huh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Allow me to rephrase. The definition for groups has changed over times. Survival is still necessary... but the things we need to do to ensure survival has change. From the days ago, hatred fuels violence... war and fighting between tribes/bands for resources to survive. Hatred is an emotion that activates sympathetic drive... the so call "fight or flight" system. Survival nowadays isn't as simple as killing off the other group anymore... It's about power games, alliances. All those requires clear thinking. Anger driven by hatred serves little purpose. It can only cloud the mind.

So I'm saying... hatred isn't maladaptive in providing a drive for action, however it's not as useful as it once was.

Let's imagine a hypothetical situation in which a white American neighborhood sees a rise in Mexicans moving into the neighborhood. In principle, do you not think the whites of that neighborhood should have the right to defend their establishment from outsiders?

This is what happens when foreigners move in, your culture is at stake. And I'm not saying that I'm interested in driving away the outsiders (I'm playing Devil's Advocate), but why is it so wrong for someone who values their heritage to preserve their culture? Incoming outsiders are pretty much an invasion of that.

To narrow it down even more, a stranger comes barging into your house, do you not have any right to defend yourself?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Let's imagine a hypothetical situation in which a white American neighborhood sees a rise in Mexicans moving into the neighborhood. In principle, do you not think the whites of that neighborhood should have the right to defend their establishment from outsiders?

This is what happens when foreigners move in, your culture is at stake. And I'm not saying that I'm interested in driving away the outsiders, but why is it so wrong for someone who values their heritage to preserve their culture? Incoming outsiders are pretty much an invasion of that.

To narrow it down even more, a stranger comes barging into your house, do you not have any right to defend yourself?

Immigrants are helpful members of a community- and the American "culture" is a mix of other immigrant cultures- I'm actually offended by your example :(

going back to what I said earlier- it's best not to hate those who are different, because they may have knowlege, resources or skills, that, when combined with what you have can help you both :tongue:

and now you're defending hating broad groups of people by a single instance? :huh: quit grasping at straws and baiting people Ubs :nono: it's an annoying habit

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Immigrants are helpful members of a community- and the American "culture" is a mix of other immigrant cultures- I'm actually offended by your example :(

I'm not talking about an American culture, I'm more thinking in the lines of a single neighborhood, which is, in essence, a subculture.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not talking about an American culture, I'm more thinking in the lines of a single neighborhood, which is, in essence, a subculture.

still offended... most neighborhoods I know don't have the unity to have thier own subculture anyways- and most of my neighborhood is immigrants :tongue10:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sorry, but I tried finding the most PC way of explaining my argument but apparently, I couldn't get my point across, so I couldn't think of any other way.