User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 126

  1. #71
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Exactly how and why do you figure that this principle has somehow changed and no longer applies in the modern times?
    Allow me to rephrase. The definition for groups has changed over times. Survival is still necessary... but the things we need to do to ensure survival has change. From the days ago, hatred fuels violence... war and fighting between tribes/bands for resources to survive. Hatred is an emotion that activates sympathetic drive... the so call "fight or flight" system. Survival nowadays isn't as simple as killing off the other group anymore... It's about power games, alliances. All those requires clear thinking. Anger driven by hatred serves little purpose. It can only cloud the mind.

    So I'm saying... hatred isn't maladaptive in providing a drive for action, however it's not as useful as it once was.

    Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    Night: was there ever a shared identity? Isn't the rule always, divide and conquer?
    Isn't a shared identity inanely built into us? We are social creatures... by being social we have a shared group identity.

    Hatred is ultimately an emotion. And like all emotions, it has force. Whether it's useful or not depends in the end on how one channels it. Left within, it festers and poisons the soul:

    "One cannot always carry an adder at one's breast, nor rise up every night to sow thorns in the garden of one's soul."--Oscar Wilde.

    But if there are no positive forces in one's life, then, hate can very well be a driving force to living, more so than love can ever be.
    *nods in agreement* Emotion is power... it's neutral... needs a direction to determine its effects good or bad.

    I suppose live is precious... although nobody has ever told me precisely why. Why do people like living? I don't know at all.

  2. #72
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Allow me to rephrase. The definition for groups has changed over times. Survival is still necessary... but the things we need to do to ensure survival has change. From the days ago, hatred fuels violence... war and fighting between tribes/bands for resources to survive. Hatred is an emotion that activates sympathetic drive... the so call "fight or flight" system. Survival nowadays isn't as simple as killing off the other group anymore... It's about power games, alliances. All those requires clear thinking. Anger driven by hatred serves little purpose. It can only cloud the mind.

    So I'm saying... hatred isn't maladaptive in providing a drive for action, however it's not as useful as it once was.
    Let's imagine a hypothetical situation in which a white American neighborhood sees a rise in Mexicans moving into the neighborhood. In principle, do you not think the whites of that neighborhood should have the right to defend their establishment from outsiders?

    This is what happens when foreigners move in, your culture is at stake. And I'm not saying that I'm interested in driving away the outsiders (I'm playing Devil's Advocate), but why is it so wrong for someone who values their heritage to preserve their culture? Incoming outsiders are pretty much an invasion of that.

    To narrow it down even more, a stranger comes barging into your house, do you not have any right to defend yourself?

  3. #73
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Let's imagine a hypothetical situation in which a white American neighborhood sees a rise in Mexicans moving into the neighborhood. In principle, do you not think the whites of that neighborhood should have the right to defend their establishment from outsiders?

    This is what happens when foreigners move in, your culture is at stake. And I'm not saying that I'm interested in driving away the outsiders, but why is it so wrong for someone who values their heritage to preserve their culture? Incoming outsiders are pretty much an invasion of that.

    To narrow it down even more, a stranger comes barging into your house, do you not have any right to defend yourself?

    Immigrants are helpful members of a community- and the American "culture" is a mix of other immigrant cultures- I'm actually offended by your example

    going back to what I said earlier- it's best not to hate those who are different, because they may have knowlege, resources or skills, that, when combined with what you have can help you both

    and now you're defending hating broad groups of people by a single instance? quit grasping at straws and baiting people Ubs it's an annoying habit
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #74
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Immigrants are helpful members of a community- and the American "culture" is a mix of other immigrant cultures- I'm actually offended by your example
    I'm not talking about an American culture, I'm more thinking in the lines of a single neighborhood, which is, in essence, a subculture.

  5. #75
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm not talking about an American culture, I'm more thinking in the lines of a single neighborhood, which is, in essence, a subculture.
    still offended... most neighborhoods I know don't have the unity to have thier own subculture anyways- and most of my neighborhood is immigrants
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #76
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I'm sorry, but I tried finding the most PC way of explaining my argument but apparently, I couldn't get my point across, so I couldn't think of any other way.

  7. #77
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,124

    Default

    that's because racism is bad Uber
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #78
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that's because racism is bad Uber
    Says who? And what exactly makes it bad?

  9. #79
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Says who? And what exactly makes it bad?
    It renders personal identity invisible to the racist.

    His vision is shades of self-pity and pain.

  10. #80
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    It renders personal identity invisible to the racist.

    His vision is shades of pain.
    In English, please.

Similar Threads

  1. Income group/social class and TV or Internet use
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
  2. Is MBTI Used Or Prevalent At Your Place Of Work?
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
  3. Self-Hatred or Critical Eye for Your Own Side?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO