User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 126

  1. #51
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    Uber - I know that deep down you only want to love people.




    it's SOOOOOOOO deep. buried under years of unhappiness and hatred. it won't come out without extreme extreme amounts of work.

    he might also have anti-social personality disorder...

  2. #52
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    if you really want to kill someone who's annoying, you have some extreme hatred. it consumes you. you wouldn't want to kill anyone unless you felt hatred. even if you don't actually hate the annoying person, you're still displacing hatred toward them because you hate someone else.
    We're talking about how useful hatred is. By hating the annoying person, I can kill the annoying person. My life will then become easier once the annoyance has subsided.

    And relax, we are talking about imagined scenarios that validate reasons to hate, ethics and morale have been set aside for such purposes.

  3. #53
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    eh- it's rarely any use to argue with Uber- he sets out what path he plans on taking in the beginning and then there's no swaying him no matter what you say :rolli: I think he's intentionally going over the top here just to see how long we'll argue

    CC- here's your def that I've tended to follow

    Hate
    verb (used with object) 1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
    2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.
    –verb (used without object) 3. to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility.
    noun 4. intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.
    5. the object of extreme aversion or hostility.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [Origin: bef. 900; ME hat(i)en, OE hatian (v.); c. D haten, ON hata, Goth hatan, G hassen]
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #54
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    he might also have anti-social personality disorder...
    I think Uber has quite sarcastic way of looking at things.
    I still believe he is a good human being (even if he tries to look evil).
    I think he just needs hugs.

  5. #55
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    That which forces division from our shared identity is certainly evil.
    "shared identity"

    please explain what you mean by this, because... I don't get.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  6. #56
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Hate
    verb (used with object) 1. to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest: to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.
    2. to be unwilling; dislike: I hate to do it.
    –verb (used without object) 3. to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility.
    noun 4. intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.
    5. the object of extreme aversion or hostility.
    I honestly didn't think there was any other definition for the word hate. (These are the ones I've been using all along.)

    But how do we define what is passionate and what is not? That is subjective, and we all have different thresholds.

  7. #57
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I honestly didn't think there was any other definition of the word hate. (That's the one I've been using all along.)

    But how do we define what is passionate and what is not? That is subjective, and we all have different thresholds.
    passionate

    –adjective 1. having, compelled by, or ruled by intense emotion or strong feeling; fervid: a passionate advocate of socialism.
    2. easily aroused to or influenced by sexual desire; ardently sensual.
    3. expressing, showing, or marked by intense or strong feeling; emotional: passionate language.
    4. intense or vehement, as emotions or feelings: passionate grief.
    5. easily moved to anger; quick-tempered; irascible.


    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    [Origin: 1375–1425; late ME < ML passiōnātus, equiv. to LL passiōn- passion + L -ātus -ate1]
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #58
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    We're talking about how useful hatred is. By hating the annoying person, I can kill the annoying person. My life becomes easier.
    so if all other variables were constant, but you didn't hate the person, you couldn't kill them, according to your logic. which would mean you wouldn't want to kill them; the pros wouldn't outweigh the cons.

    your life is easier when you do things where the pros outweigh the cons.

    therefore, hating them doesn't make your life easier.

    now you're gonna make the point that you wanted to kill them anyways, even if you didn't hate them. well, fine. then you don't need hate to kill them. hate is useless in both cases.

    And relax, we are talking about imagined scenarios that validate reasons to hate, ethics and morale have been set aside for such purposes.
    i don't care about ethics in this conversation. i'm getting worked up because your defense mechanisms are so damn strong! my arguments are obviously better than yours here. you're just running from the truth because it's uncomfortable.

  9. #59
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    WordNet -

    hate

    noun
    1. the emotion of intense dislike; a feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action [ant: love]

    verb
    1. dislike intensely; feel antipathy or aversion towards; "I hate Mexican food"; "She detests politicians" [ant: love]
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    so if all other variables were constant, but you didn't hate the person, you couldn't kill them, according to your logic. which would mean you wouldn't want to kill them; the pros wouldn't outweigh the cons.

    your life is easier when you do things where the pros outweigh the cons.

    therefore, hating them doesn't make your life easier.

    now you're gonna make the point that you wanted to kill them anyways, even if you didn't hate them. well, fine. then you don't need hate to kill them. hate is useless in both cases.
    I hate the person because he's annoying me, the universally logical thing to do is to kill him -- that will give a 100 percent assurance that the particular object of hate will not annoy me any longer, hence life will be easier for me.

    My hate is essentially caused by my desire to live easier, because it drives me to break through the barrier.

    Why is this so difficult to understand?

Similar Threads

  1. Income group/social class and TV or Internet use
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
  2. Is MBTI Used Or Prevalent At Your Place Of Work?
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
  3. Self-Hatred or Critical Eye for Your Own Side?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO