• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asperger Syndrome, Autism, and MBTIc: a questionnaire

Which option best applies to you?

• Total voters

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
1. Are you on the autistic spectrum? (if so, please list your MBTI type)
Yes, Asperger's Syndrome. INTJ

3. If either one or both of the previous questions apply to you, how would you describe your autism (or in the case of the second question, possible autism) in relation to your life? How would you describe your condition? How is your life affected by it, if at all? How do you perceive non-autists?
IMO it's best described as an abnormal wiring of the brain that results in abnormal processing of sense data which then impairs understanding of non-verbal social cues. The positive autistic traits are not separable from the bad ones, they are different sides of the same coin. I perceive non-autistics, or at least unreflective ones, as having difficulty distinguishing between social norms and objective facts, that is, social norms are treated as if they were inalterable laws of nature.

4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autistic spectrum disorder do you personally know personally? How severe is it? If possible, what do you think the would be the MBTI type of the person?
My girlfriend, an INFP, also has Asperger's.

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Do you think that it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in brain structure? Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion of the neurodiversity movement?
I think Autism is genetic and only severe, "low functioning" Autism a disorder in the broadest sense. I am completely against a cure and consider such a thing a form of Eugenics based on prejudices. I am a strong supporter of the Neurodiversity movement.

7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes do you have that are particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? i.e. are there any particular moments where your condition has resulted in a comic situation? A sad/tragic situation? A particular situation where it has been a burden? A blessing? Any notable anecdotes related to you being on the spectrum are welcome.
I and many who know me have noticed that I don't have a racist or sexist bone in my body not because I have consciously rejected them but because I never soaked up the unquestioned social rules racism and sexism are based on in the first place.

9. If you are an autist, are there any relatives of yours that you suspect of being on the spectrum?
I suspect that my paternal grandfather, an INTJ, had Asperger's. I have an aunt who is severely autistic.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Edit: found it. Thanks to uber. Aspie-quiz

Took the quiz, my results:

Your Aspie score: 111 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 78 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

poly12b.php

I'm thinking any introverted NT types, with the introverted ST types following, probably more likely for the ISTJ.

I'm think the INTJ would be more likely because, as a J, he needs structure and routine and does not like surprises, one of the hallmarks of autistic spectrum disorders.

And Aspies are likely to be noted for idiosyncrasies which would push them closer to an N type, specifically NT.

I'm also guessing that the NTPs (particularly ENTP) will more likely be ADD (mental hyperactivity), while the ESTP would be more likely ADHD (physical hyperactivity).

Also, OCD, I feel, is in the realm of INTJs, because an OCD patient has to do with performing rituals to filter out unwanted thoughts. They also tend to be conceptual people in general. Keirsey also correlated this trait to the Rational temperament, along with a large proportion of autistic traits.

However, the OCPD patient would more likely be ISTJs. OCPD is what most people associate with OCD, but while the behavior may be the same, the motivations are different. An OCPD patient is the type who is anal about minor rules and details.

Yeah I could see the ISTJ have Asperger's also, because of the close attention and memory of detailed things.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nope.​

2. If not officially diagnosed, have you ever thought that it was likely that you might be on the autistic spectrum?
I've joked about it, but no, I don't think I am.​

4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autistic spectrum disorder do you personally know personally? How severe is it? If possible, what do you think the would be the MBTI type of the person?
I have 12-year-old sister and 8-year-old brother with autism. My sister's is pretty severe, she doesn't speak at all (although she understands certain verbal cues), she has more outbursts, and she can't take care of herself in any way. My brother, on the other hand, is actually pretty social for an autistic kid, and he is SMART. Not a savant or anything, but you can talk to him and he knows what you're saying (although he only speaks in words and short phrases, so it's a one-sided conversation), he can read simple things, and he has a brilliant imagination and sense of humor. He can tell when he's making people laugh. :D He's pretty self-sufficient too, considering his condition and age. He's (mostly) potty-trained, he can pop certain foods in the microwave and feed himself, and he's actually really good at painting peoples' toes. :D He knows his colors, body parts, everyone's names, etc. He's aware of the world around him. He has a really good sense of direction too.

If I had to guess their types...sister: INTJ; brother: ESTP.​

5. If you are NOT on the autistic spectrum, how would you personally describe autism and how you perceive it?
This is the hardest question. I live with autistic people, so I've never been good at describing it in words. It is what it is, to me. So it's hard to explain to other people.​

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Do you think that it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in brain structure? Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion of the neurodiversity movement?
I have no strong idea or opinion on most of this, but I think there's some genetic connection. My mom has 2 autistic kids, and so does her cousin. There has to be some environmental thing though too, because autism has exploded in recent years. A cure seems like a weird idea to me...autism just seems...irreversible. I don't know. Neurodiversity only makes sense up to a certain point. My siblings, for example, will need to be cared for by someone else for the rest of their lives.​

8. Same as the above, accept for non-autists. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent?
Heh. I have a ton (I can't think of most of them, unfortunately). But, I think the best one is:

Once, my sister ran away in the middle of the night, completely naked. The cops brought her home.​

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Your Aspie score: 101 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 95 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I have auditory processing disorder, hyperacute hearing, and sensory processing disorder. I don't really have the social issues that go with aspergers, just the sensory issues. I have to avoid loud, crowded places to keep from being painfully overstimulated.
I'd say more about this but it is late at night.
I am an atypical type here: isfp.
MOre later.

poly12b.php

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
So I took that test...

poly12b.php

Your Aspie score: 126 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

I have never considered the possibility of having Asperger's. I don't think that I do. After taking that quiz, I read up on the traits of Aspies and find that I don't really match them that much. I'm not going to answer the OP specific questions (sorry), but I will discuss what I've found out about Aspies in the course of this evening's time-wasting research on the subject :).

For one thing, I read that Aspies are often very literal minded and can take a while to understand a joke. This is not like me. I'm pretty good at handling metaphors, and I can *usually* tell when something funny has been insinuated, though some things admittedly fly over my head (but this happens to everyone at some point, I think, especially if you don't usually pay attention).

One of the defining characteristics of Aspies (that I read) is that they also have trouble reading and interpreting the signals given by the facial expressions and body language of other people. I can usually tell when someone is sending non-verbal signals of, for instance, annoyance or sadness. Though I will admit that I sometimes have trouble knowing what other people's intentions are, so I end up either defaulting to the assumption that their intentions are bad unless proven otherwise, or that their intentions are good unless proven otherwise, depending on the situation.

Aspies are said to have intense interests and obsessions with categories of information. I can relate to this aspect probably better than other aspects. Since I was a child, I've gone through many different absorbing interests...dinosaurs, whales (I was the second grade whale expert), Celtic culture, Japanese culture, languages (including, embarrassingly, Tolkien's Quenya and Sindarin), Fighter Jets, Manga, certain musical artists, post-structural theory (this was a short-lived one)...I could go on. Right now I'm still riding my obsession with typology and personality systems, and it's hard to think of other things. Re-reading typology information is often more interesting to me than many of the things I'm supposed to be doing for school. I have friends who are quite obsessive about stuff as well, but I doubt that any of them are Aspies.

Finally, I've read that Aspies often go into "meltdowns" when they get overwhelmed or stressed. I don't think I really ever melted down in my teenage or adult life, and I don't remember throwing tantrums or anything like that when I was a child. I watched some videos with Aspie children on youtube where they are throwing tantrums, and I can honestly say that I didn't ever do this. I did have a kid in my second grade class who did this kind of thing. I have no idea whether he had autism or not (though looking back, I suspect that he did and I just didn't know about it), but I remember finding him inscrutable and unpredictable. Not unpredictable in the sense that he did spontaneous things, but unpredictable in the sense that I didn't understand where his reactions and behaviors were coming from at all.

Oh, also, I read that Aspies and other autistic individuals often "stim," which I guess are like odd physical ticks or behaviors (such as handflapping). My younger brother, who is also INTP and who exhibits Aspie traits more than I do, does a weird hand flap. My sister used to tease him about it, and I had no awareness that this was something that autism spectrum people did. I tend to fiddle with things like pencils (I'm a notorious pencil and pen chewer, and I bite my nails), I do wring my hands and crack my knuckles incessantly, and I tend to spin back and forth for no good reason in my computer chair. These are things I observe a lot of people doing, though (I take the pen chewing to another level, I will admit). I don't do hand flapping or backwards/forwards body rocking, I don't think.

Anyway, I'll end this rambling discussion here, though in the course of writing this I've come across a whole bunch of other stuff about Aspies that I could write and compare myself and others to. I still don't think it's likely that I have it...that test can't really be all that meaningful on a real diagnostic level.

I am curious, though, how do they diagnose Aspergers or HFA? I know it's usually done in childhood, and usually because the child needs "special" classes or something, or has disruptive behaviors, but I want to know what kinds of tests they run to make the diagnosis. Is it all anecdotal? Do you just basically tell the psychiatrist/psychologist that your child has these behaviors, and they check it against typical Aspie behavior, and then recommend a likely diagnosis?

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
So I took that test...

poly12b.php

Your Aspie score: 126 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 70 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

I have never considered the possibility of having Asperger's. I don't think that I do. After taking that quiz, I read up on the traits of Aspies and find that I don't really match them that much. I'm not going to answer the OP specific questions (sorry), but I will discuss what I've found out about Aspies in the course of this evening's time-wasting research on the subject :).

For one thing, I read that Aspies are often very literal minded and can take a while to understand a joke. This is not like me. I'm pretty good at handling metaphors, and I can *usually* tell when something funny has been insinuated, though some things admittedly fly over my head (but this happens to everyone at some point, I think, especially if you don't usually pay attention).

One of the defining characteristics of Aspies (that I read) is that they also have trouble reading and interpreting the signals given by the facial expressions and body language of other people. I can usually tell when someone is sending non-verbal signals of, for instance, annoyance or sadness. Though I will admit that I sometimes have trouble knowing what other people's intentions are, so I end up either defaulting to the assumption that their intentions are bad unless proven otherwise, or that their intentions are good unless proven otherwise, depending on the situation.

Aspies are said to have intense interests and obsessions with categories of information. I can relate to this aspect probably better than other aspects. Since I was a child, I've gone through many different absorbing interests...dinosaurs, whales (I was the second grade whale expert), Celtic culture, Japanese culture, languages (including, embarrassingly, Tolkien's Quenya and Sindarin), Fighter Jets, Manga, certain musical artists, post-structural theory (this was a short-lived one)...I could go on. Right now I'm still riding my obsession with typology and personality systems, and it's hard to think of other things. Re-reading typology information is often more interesting to me than many of the things I'm supposed to be doing for school. I have friends who are quite obsessive about stuff as well, but I doubt that any of them are Aspies.

Finally, I've read that Aspies often go into "meltdowns" when they get overwhelmed or stressed. I don't think I really ever melted down in my teenage or adult life, and I don't remember throwing tantrums or anything like that when I was a child. I watched some videos with Aspie children on youtube where they are throwing tantrums, and I can honestly say that I didn't ever do this. I did have a kid in my second grade class who did this kind of thing. I have no idea whether he had autism or not (though looking back, I suspect that he did and I just didn't know about it), but I remember finding him inscrutable and unpredictable. Not unpredictable in the sense that he did spontaneous things, but unpredictable in the sense that I didn't understand where his reactions and behaviors were coming from at all.

Oh, also, I read that Aspies and other autistic individuals often "stim," which I guess are like odd physical ticks or behaviors (such as handflapping). My younger brother, who is also INTP and who exhibits Aspie traits more than I do, does a weird hand flap. My sister used to tease him about it, and I had no awareness that this was something that autism spectrum people did. I tend to fiddle with things like pencils (I'm a notorious pencil and pen chewer, and I bite my nails), I do wring my hands and crack my knuckles incessantly, and I tend to spin back and forth for no good reason in my computer chair. These are things I observe a lot of people doing, though (I take the pen chewing to another level, I will admit). I don't do hand flapping or backwards/forwards body rocking, I don't think.

Anyway, I'll end this rambling discussion here, though in the course of writing this I've come across a whole bunch of other stuff about Aspies that I could write and compare myself and others to. I still don't think it's likely that I have it...that test can't really be all that meaningful on a real diagnostic level.

I am curious, though, how do they diagnose Aspergers or HFA? I know it's usually done in childhood, and usually because the child needs "special" classes or something, or has disruptive behaviors, but I want to know what kinds of tests they run to make the diagnosis. Is it all anecdotal? Do you just basically tell the psychiatrist/psychologist that your child has these behaviors, and they check it against typical Aspie behavior, and then recommend a likely diagnosis?
A good post.

A child does not need special classes.
The adults need them.

But they are not in the classroom.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
My answers are below:

Indeed, the autistic spectrum has been discussed here before, but I have grown curious of personal experiences or opinions.

Some questions I have:

No.

2. If not officially diagnosed, have you ever thought that it was likely that you might be on the autistic spectrum?
Yes, I have considered the possibility. I have the sensory issues but not the social skills issues. My MBTI type is isfp. If I didn't have the sensory issues, I would be an esfp.

3. If either one or both of the previous questions apply to you, how would you describe your autism (or in the case of the second question, possible autism) in relation to your life? How would you describe your condition? How is your life affected by it, if at all? How do you perceive non-autists?
I have been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder, auditory processing disorder, hyperacusis, ADHD, and possibly nonverbal learning disability (which I think is inaccurate for me).
Because of my condition, I have difficulty with receptive language but not really with expressive language. I can't block out any background noise at all. As a result, I tend to become hopelessly overstimulated in a noisy environment. I have to avoid large crowds because I can't tolerate people brushing past me. When I'm in a restaurant, I have to make sure that I am seated with my back against the wall to avoid having people constantly walking behind me. I can't tune out some sounds and listen to other sounds. So, if there are multiple conversations, and one person is speaking to me, it is very likely that I won't understand that person at all. Certain sounds (especially very high frequency sounds) cause me intense pain. They don't have to be loud; they just have to be the offending frequency.
When I become over stimulated, I have an excruciating pain in the center of my head. It feels as if my ears have been forced open and the noise was poured in like water. Sometimes, the noise feels like shards of broken glass. When that happens, I don't even know where my body is in space. Everything appears confusing and erratic. I have to go home and go into a darkened room and listen to soft instrumental music. The noise is still in my head. I take ibuprofin and go to bed. It takes several days for the pain to go away.
I also don't understand people when they talk really fast. They just sound like blah blah blah to me.
I taught myself to read when I was four years old and couldn't do phonics in school so I was placed in a slow reading group. I was not diagnosed with CAPD until I was an adult.
I'm really, really bad at sitting still.
People who don't have my processing problems generally don't understand them. They seem to have the idea that, if the disability becomes inconvenient for them, it can be turned off. I tell people that my condition is a disability, not an annoying inconvenience and that it doesn't have an off switch. With some of the more sensitive folks, that works, but a lot of people are rather insensitive when it comes to things that they think might inconvenience them.

I am not sure. I have family members who seem to have issues with social skills.

5. If you are NOT on the autistic spectrum, how would you personally describe autism and how you perceive it?
People with Aspergers seem to be focused on a few interests all of the time. They live, breathe, and dream those interests. They also have sensory problems. They have difficulty with nonverbal social cues and they may speak with a monotone. I perceive them as being somewhat different, but as very interesting people. Also they tend to be very smart. I have met people with Aspergers, and I have always liked them.

I don't know what the cause is and I don't know if there should be a cure. It would be nice, though, not to have painful ears. I would like to see better architecture, with acoustical engineers being called in to design spaces that don't have excessive reverberation and echo. That would be very helpful to me. I think that the neurodiversity movement is a good thing. People who are "neurotypical" need to be better educated about people on the spectrum so that they can be more sensitive to the needs of people who aren't like themselves.

7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes do you have that are particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? i.e. are there any particular moments where your condition has resulted in a comic situation? A sad/tragic situation? A particular situation where it has been a burden? A blessing? Any notable anecdotes related to you being on the spectrum are welcome.
I have trouble localizing sound. One day, I was doing laundry. I had just started the washing machine when I heard a frightening sound. Where was that noise coming from? It was very loud and very shrill.
Oh no, I thought, the washing machine is going to explode!
I quickly turned the machine off and unplugged it. The noise did not stop immediately. But I wasn't aware of that because I had raced upstairs and had gotten the cordless phone. It was time to call the manufacturer and to get out of the house (just in case the washing machine actually exploded!).
But then I noticed that the noise had stopped. Perhaps the machine wasn't really going to go ka-boom. I went downstairs, replugged the machine, and turned it back on.
Ahh. No noise.
Oh no! The noise has just started again, loud and shrill. Oh. My ears. I'd better brace for a big explosion.
I dialed the number of the manufacturer. They answered the phone, but I couldn't really make out what they were saying because of all of that noise.
At that moment, my landlord walked into the house and made some sort of speech sound. He went to the basement, did something, and the noise stopped immediately.
"Smoke detector," he said, holding up the battery.
"Oh," I said to the person on the other end of the phone. "I'm so sorry. The noise came from the smoke detector. Thank you very much for your time."
I told that later on to the speech-language pathologists who were working with me on my auditory processing disorder, and we all got a good laugh out of it.

8. Same as the above, except for non-autists. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent?
No, I can't think of any.

9. If you are an autist, are there any relatives of yours that you suspect of being on the spectrum?
N/A (I'm not autistic)

10. Please fill mark the the option that applies to you in the poll attached to this thread.
OK.

I have entered my myself into the poll as well, under the option that best applies to me. At a later point in time, I will give my own personal answers to the questionnaire.

Thanks for participating.

You're welcome.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I took this test about a year ago and got the "You are very likely an Aspie".

I think I could technically qualify as one, but I don't think about it or really take it into consideration.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No.

No, I have never suspected myself to be, but occasionally in my life relatives have thrown it at me that they think I am. The ones who said that though were all Fe types, who mistook my deliberate and knowing directness for tactlessness/lack of empathy. I was and am perfectly aware of other people's responses - I choose to respond to them differently than they do. Similarly, I'm aware of etiquette and what's expected of me in that area, intuitively. I simply choose to disregard it frequently for reasons I believe valid.

My daughter has Asperger Syndrome. It affects us in many ways, chiefly in that she cannot share a bedroom with her sister or anyone else, and this has caused a lot of housing related headaches for us. Also, because she's a girl and it seems most of the literature and studies on the subject have focused on boys, we are often disbelieved about her condition by "laymen", because her manifestation of it is not as "textbook" as some of the male autists we've met through support groups. But it adds an extra dimension of stress and difficulty for me as a parent and her sister, and indeed for her too, in dealing with the usual childhood squabbles and sibling rivalry.

Also, my father almost certainly was on the spectrum, but was never diagnosed as it wasn't really known widely in his day. However, when as a family my siblings, mother and I talked together about my dad in the presence of a psychiatrist, and also in light of what we know of the condition through my daughter, the conclusion that he was definitely on the spectrum seems inescapable.

How do I view non-autists? To be honest... I have said in the past that I personally prefer sometimes, the company of people with High Functioning forms of autism. I find the "emotional privacy" that they afford me very relaxing and refreshing, and I find them also very straightforward and direct, again, something I value a lot. I think this implies a lot about how I view non-autists!

I know a great many children and a couple of adults with autistic spectrum disorders, whom I've met through support groups and help sessions, mostly with Asperger's or other HFA forms, but one or two with more severe autism. I don't know most of them well enough to be able to speculate about their type, but my daughter is as ENTP as I am, and my father was almost certainly ISTP. You have to get to know autistic people very well I think, to be able to see the individual personality behind the disorder - initially, that is. I do think I'm a bit quicker to perceive it though than many people, because of my prior experience.

I don't actually perceive it as a disorder as such, necessarily, though I've used that word in this post more for convenience than accuracy. I generally see it as a different way of being, and it irritates me when people express sympathy with me because of my daugher being autistic. I not only love her as my daughter but i like her very much, and she has a great deal to offer and it makes me annoyed that people would try to invalidate that or make out that it's not enough just because of the other things that she can't offer, such as empathy. I think that autistic people can perform a very valuable function in society and should be encouraged to do so, taking advantage of their unique strengths, rather than relentlessly drugged and pushed into trying to be like everyone else.

It gets my hackles up when people talk about "curing" autism. A friend of mine sent me a link the other week in fact, raving over this exciting "love drug" that could be used to cure autistic people, and he couldn't understand why I just hit "delete". I'm not interested in curing my daughter of her personality. She's perfectly happy as she is, and the only problems she has are from other people being ignorant and intolerant and lacking compassion. To me, that means it's these other people who need to be changed, not her. I find it fairly offensive in fact, I imagine how I would feel if someone offered me drugs that would "cure" all my personality defects - IOW, make me not me any more. Everyone has faults and flaws and I don't see why "normal" ones are just sympathized with whilst those of people with HFA are seen as something that has to be drugged or therapied out of them. Why can't they just be left to develop their personality naturally, in a way that's true to them, like everyone else?

NA

8. Same as the above, accept for non-autists. Any notable situations that you can recall where the subject of autism or an autistic individual was prominent?

Gosh, every day. My daughter has taken to "being" a boy to cope with things - she finds as she gets older that the level of emotional empathy and social savvy-ness that's required of her to play with girls is well over her head, and so she finds respite in the rather more direct and straightforward play of boys up to the age of about 13. Otherwise, she just hangs out with adults. She just has nothing to say to girls of her own age or older (she's 10).

Every day though, there are many clashes between her sister and her, which result from a combination of her not being able to see her sister's POV, and her sister expecting more from her in that respect than she's capable of and then being outraged when she doesn't get it.

Oh also, I have taken her out of school and been homeschooling her this year, as it seems that the sort of "social dyslexia" she has puts her at a distinct disadvantage in the classroom, where instructions and lessons are given in a way that takes no account of how she might view the words that are chosen - some things that she wouldn't have needed pointing out have been told to her in roundabout ways, using figures of speech that she's taken literally, confusing her to no end, whilst other things that she just needed to be told in a direct way, she was left to simply assume - which of course she didn't. She was always being punished for things that, when I talked to the teacher about them and to her, it was clear she had no idea what she had done wrong or why. Also, the work was far, far below her intellectual level even in the top streams, so she simply wasn't learning anything except anger and bitterness at the way she was treated. Barely a month after I took her out of school, her academic performance shot up and, tellingly, she stopped wetting herself - which had been a problem, now I thought about it, since about when she started school - within a week of coming out.

NA

Qre:us

1. Are you on the autistic spectrum?

No

No

A few personally, my roommate's brother has Asperger's. My other friend's sister has autism. My research is related to this field too. I, myself, have, in the past, worked as a facilitator providing ABA to children with ASD and other developmental disabilities (like Fragile X, etc), for about 2 years. So, I have worked with kids that were on the high end of the spectrum, to extremely severe, and non-verbal, to those with dual diagnosis (such as Prader-Willis Syndrome, Behaviour disorders, etc), ages ranging from as young as 2-3years old, to ones as old at 17-18. Then, I was also involved in a group for forensic cases of adults with developmental disabilities - they were charged with various sexual crimes, and the mess with the court/legal system. As for MBTI - Too many to list, and many were too severe to have MBTI applicable to them.

Depends on the degree, as I agree with DSM, that something becomes a disorder when it significantly affects daily living and functioning. For some, I can see the point of view that the world is just not attuned to their 'language' thus the society around them creates the disorder, for others (the most severe), I don't think it's plausible for a world (as we conceptualize it) to ever be able to understand that 'language'. Thus, again, depends on the severity. It's really only a label that has function for governmental support, etc., but, if you truly know the varieties that exist within the umbrella of ASD, I don't think anyone who has worked closely with them can say that ASD neatly sums up the group and their extremely varied manifestations.

In one evolutionary psych class, there was a discussion that, evolutionary speaking, these personalities were advantageous/had a function. Thus, it seems likely, that any thing selected for in evolution, might manifest itself in a handful of cases such that the traits are magnified to a noticeable degree.
I don't know if I would use the word 'cure', but more like the need for effective management of certain symptoms, geared to specific individual (not as groups, but, individual profile). Like, self-injurious behaviours, zoning out on stims.

Too many to list. One had this obsession with trailing all straight lines with his eyes, so, it was awfully hard to get his 'focus', esp if in a room that's modernized with many sharp lines and angles, so, we had to work in a square bare room. One was ridiculously sharp - savante, but, his behavior problems overshadowed much of his amazing personality. He was eventually too much to handle for his mother, and it was one of the saddest incident in the course of my work, watching his mom come to the hard decision that she couldn't take care of him. He was getting bigger too, and she was a petite woman...I loved working with him because he kept me sharp. One incident I remember, he had a special team, who could handle him, that worked with him. Well, another facilitator (who didn't work with him) had to watch him for 5 mins while his facilitator had to use the loo, and, this newbie thought it would be a cute thing to teach him, making a wish using his fallen eyelashes. As soon as I heard it, I knew where it would lead. :doh: By the end of that day, he had physically plucked every single of his eyelashes off his eyes, and with each pull going, "I wish I didn't have eyelashes at all" Not a fun trip to the emergency, with bleeding eyes. I have gotten punched, bitten (still carry that mark :tongue:), pissed on, hair pulled by the little buggers - but, they're so awsome, that's it's kinda worth it. And, I got to always be on my toes, never had to go to the gym as my work was my gym. My reward was when I saw that glimpse of their personality, I've never felt so elated by such human nuances as I did when working with my kiddies. It made me appreciate/value the little things so much more. Like if one held my gaze for 5 seconds, or, another, when going through the motions of singing "Patty Cake", he ended with, "bake me a cake for Qre:us and me". HE SAID MY NAME!!! Or, when I would be standing and all of a sudden, this recognition would come to one of their eyes, and to see them run up and hug me. Or to hear the stories of a guy getting permanantly banned from the public transit because he just had to pee, and he did, inside the enclosed bus stop, then proceeded to masturbate, much to the chagrin of those around him. Another, he was 4, loved to stim off my hair, petting it (the feeling of it), and for him, I made sure to shampoo and condition regularly (that was his reward, 1 mins of play with my hair...and I got a massage too! :D) Too many stories. Especially when you see their other side, *them*, not just the fantastical stories attached to each of them, but, the essence of these kiddies and individuals....and, as I said, get that glimpse (however brief) into the person inside. It's very rewarding. Although, as a past provider of ABA, I am a firm believer that ABA does not work outside the controlled environment where the therapy is run.

I just loved the challenge of being able to cater to each individual kid, to figure out exactly how I'll get them to connect. And so, when they started to stim, I knew, it was a way of saying, "Qre:us, you're bugging me, so I'm tuning you out!" haha! I learned to speak, not for myself to be understood, but, to engage the other in a way that they *want* to understand ME... hence, speak TO the receipient/audience. And, that has been a pivotal lesson my experience with these individuals taught me. (which, sadly, after not being in daily contact, I am losing....)

Apsaras

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few months ago, yes. I always test INTP, though I'm not entirely certain I qualify.

Certain bits of the diagnosis I exhibit consistently. Others don't seem to apply at all - though I understand not everyone experiences every symptom.

It's sort of difficult to say. This is how I've always been - I've never experienced the other end of things, so I have trouble drawing comparisons. I'm introverted... I need to spend a lot of time recharging by myself. I'm very distractible, although I get lost in thought easily. Sound irritates me - so much noise around me, consistently, everywhere I go. That's probably one thing that differentiates me from neurotypicals. They make so much noise, all the time, without saying much of anything in the process. The same loud bits of chatter, time and again.
I also have problems with textures. I can't eat certain foods - I become physically ill biting into an onion, just because of how it feels in my mouth. I spend a lot of time thinking and pursuing what interests me. I've never needed to study - material generally comes naturally to me - though if something doesn't interest me, I won't pursue it, even if I'm forced to take a class about it.

I know one very personally. He's more severe than I am. He is obsessed - obsessed - with programming and the aspects therein. He'll work all day programming, then work all night on something similar. My interests aren't as focused. He makes gaffes and says hurtful things unintentionally, not knowing who he may be hurting. He takes statements at face value and has trouble understanding metaphorical/figurative language. He's a literalist to the core. He's got the best of intentions, but it a bit out of sync with the world. An INTJ.

--

Disorder or difference? A disorder is a difference, just with a negative connotation attached. I'm not sure where I stand here. Would I like to be 'cured'? In some scenarios, yes. Could I do it? Probably not. I've been crafted as an individual by dealing with this throughout my life. Who would a 'cure' make me? I understand that neurotypicals see people with extreme low-functioning autism and think "there has to be a cure for this, we need to help these people!" and what have you. I'm not sure what I would do.

I make a lot of offbeat commentary. My father - a loving, accepting man - always appreciated me for being 'outside the box'. I didn't really understand 'the box' and didn't like the notion of it, anyway.'
The most obvious showing would be in sports. That's an interesting tidbit about Asperger's - physiological affects. I've never been able to catch or hit a ball. I'm an eldest child, and my well-meaning parents forced me into sports. What a nightmare. I stood at the plate one day in a 'feel-good' sort of league where the coach threw pitches until the kids hit one. Sixty-something pitches later, they just told me to take a base.

Just what I explained earlier about my friend, really.

Yes. My birthmother - I don't know her too well - has a number of peculiar mannerisms. She's intelligent, but she hates social interaction. She can't stand office life because everything is so abrasive to her. She doesn't like crowds - even little things bother her. If I'm in the front seat of a car, she has to be in the back, and vice-versa. She mooches off of the government by playing the system well, but going to work kills her. She develops addictions easily.

10. Please fill mark the the option that applies to you in the poll attached to this thread.
Sure thing.

GreenElf

MBTI Type
Ixxp
Enneagram
poly12c.php

I'm fairly certain I don't have aspergers, but likely some OCD and social phobia.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
My relative is either INTJ or ENTJ. He has never been diagnosed, but he clearly falls in the Asperger spectrum.

Undeclared

MBTI Type
INTp
link .......take the test, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have it. I scored 37 on the test. I have never been diagnosed for such a thing. Someone has actually asked me if I had it before....I'm an INTp. I kind of crazy I can tell :/

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Possibly. I relate alot to the asperger description, particularly when I was young.

Yes, see above question.

Difficulty picking up on social cues, poor eye contact, obsessive and highly specific interests.

I know an XNFP IRL who has been officially diagnosed with autism. It isn't too severe, she is pretty high functioning.

Other than that the only other ones I know are hanging out on forums like this one. Most are INxx types.

Someone who is highly fixated on some very specific thing- usually very technical or mechanical in nature. They are more interested in this than in social interaction. Also someone who has difficulty communicating socially and picking up on social cues and knowing the appropriate thing to do/say in social situations. Some austistics are very rigid about routines and having things just a certain way.

I think its mostly genetic. I do think there should be a cure, yet I feel that neurotypicals need to recognize the unique strengths and gifts that people on the autistic spectrum bring. People on the autistic spectrum disorder should have a treatment cure available to them but should not be forced to take the treatment.

Some of it is too personal and embarrassing to list here. I know in my childhood, I took what people said literally, I naturally expected people to say exactly what they mean. I had trouble picking up on sarcasm and being able to tell if someone was serious or just joking. I was also brutally honest and said exactly what I thought. I also expected others to be that way as well.

I had difficulty picking up on social cues, particularly nonverbal ones. I misread peoples' expressions and have gotten in trouble for accusing someone of being angry with me because they looked angry to me when they weren't angry at all.

No

I have entered my myself into the poll as well, under the option that best applies to me. At a later point in time, I will give my own personal answers to the questionnaire.

Thanks for participating.[/QUOTE]

Evening

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4

Yes. Borderline High-functioning Asperger's. INxP. I scored a pretty strong INFP on my first MBTI test at 15 (and I'm convinced I'd have a higher F score if I'd taken it younger); conversely, my Asperger's was also worse - or had more of an impact - when I was younger. Autism in females, being rare itself, has had little research done on it and is thought to express itself different. Much of the common symptoms of Asperger's don't always apply to me.

I think that says a lot about the reliability of self-testing.

My secondary school diagnosed it when I was 12. My ex's mother, who I'm still in close contact with, is a psychologist, and was convinced I had it around a year after knowing with (she was not at all surprised when I told her I had it).

I found out about it a few months ago, literally soon after I turned 18. In a sense, therefore, it hasn't effected my life as much as it could have. I have grown up thinking myself another variant of normal, and I'm glad I have, as I might have started self-victimising myself otherwise if I saw myself as 'socially handicapped'. It does, however, put my life into an interesting context and explains plenty of things which I didn't quite understand before.

I switched primary school (elementary school?) when I was aged 7, and had difficulty trying to relate or make friends with children I hadn't grown up with going to nursery with. It took me about two years to make friends. Even then, I was often perceived as 'weird', and willing to do things which many people considered embarrassing or strange. I was also incredibly gullible and just did not see traps coming my way at all. I've always had above-average intelligence (or, rather, academic ability), and have consistently done well in school, which is something associated with Asperger's.

I still question a lot of societal norms and views (incest is a good example; most people are opposed to it out of sheer repulsion at the thought of it. 'Eww, that's yucky!' logic fails to work with me). A lot of non-verbal social cues suggest Asperger's as well. I have an aversion to eye contact in all forms - I really can't look at someone whilst speaking to them; my mind goes blank if I try and it sort of intimidates me. A lot of my interests I tend to go about in a scientific way. I have a fascination with people and pyscho-analysing them - but I do it by dissecting their actions actively in my mind and then trying to piece them together; it's not a natural process and I can't do it on the spot. I have a similar attitude to art and poetry - I'll break it down, analyse it, split it into pieces and enjoy doing it (as opposed to 'ruining' it by doing it), and appreciate how the building blocks come together to create a whole. A cool solo in thrown randomly a piece of music I'll shrug off, but I'll appreciate how the use of X and Y and Z all come together to create an atmosphere, and how the solo itself acts as the climax. The actual emotional impact of it actually bores me.

As for non-autists, my view of them is very positive. I think intelligence is somewhat overstressed and overrated as it is. I like to think that I try to appreciate people and look for the good in them.

None. I know an xSxJ who's convinced she is, but the girl is silly and likes to encourage any perception of her as 'nerdy' as some quirky form of street-cred.

I have no idea on the cause. I probably know less about it than I should. I doubt it's something that can be 'cured' - probably more likely brain structure, which would imply it to be partially due to genetics and partially due to early development in the womb. Social skills are something you can work at, hence why I think you can learn to 'be social' and 'act social', but your austism won't change because of it.

I probably agree with the neurodiversity movement in minor cases. However autisim is on a sliding scale, and it's difficult to find a cut off point between a mild case and a severe one, so I don't ardently support it. I would not change my Asperger's, as that would change who I am. I like being myself, for one, and despite my shortcomings, I've had a boyfriend before and have made friends and have enjoyed a lot of life - some of that is down to luck, and choosing a secondary school where I'd be unlikely to be bullied, but a lot of that is because of me. I'm rather cautious about removing any 'autistic genes' with in vitro fertilisation for that reason. If a 'cure' for autism can be offered, it obviously should be voluntary, for the reason that many with milder cases might not want to change.

There's one I can think of. 'Tis a happy one. There are probably endless situations as a kid where my social cluelessness has become a burden, to the point that I can't think of a specific one which is sad.

Back in primary school, we had an African guy come over and do an assembly for 'International Day'. He told us a traditional folk story about a stupid caterpillar... I forget the details, but it ended up in the caterpillar being so happy it broke up into segments and each of them did a dance. He picked around twelve volunteers who stuck their hands up, before telling us afterwards we had to dance (otherwise nobody would have stood up). Things like dancing in public = embarrassing, as well as singing in public = embarrassing, or putting my hand up all my time in class = something-you-don't-do-or-else hadn't at all sunk in yet, and didn't compute. When someone told me to dance, and I saw real no reason not to, I'd comply, because why not make them happy, and why would anyone want to laugh at me because of it? (I stopped doing this when people manipulated me and began to become more cynical of people's motivations). So when the guy said do the happiest dance you could, I really tried. I danced like crazy, and let myself go, jumping in the air and dancing on the ground and moving about, and I was completely oblivious to the fact that I looked stupid. Apparently (I was wearing a summer dress) you could see my underwear. The guy was seriously impressed, since it was the most effort someone had honestly tried to put into the dance, in all the schools he'd been to. Afterwards, at lunch time, he ushered me over, and he gave me two braids from a box he had (he let me choose them) and a green and black zebra-style--striped scarf he happened to have. A couple of girls I didn't like particularly wandered over asked for some braids, and he said no, since I had done something to deserve it.

Getting the scarf and the braids made me happy for the rest of the day. I lost the braids many years ago, but I still have the scarf.

My father. I doubt he actually is, but if we consider autism, as opposed to being a concrete thing separate from normality, one end of a scale, with normal being in the middle, then my father would perhaps be on the autistic side of normal, without being on the autism spectrum. He's heavily introverted, like I am, and doesn't talk to people unless he needs to. He adores puzzles and mind games and things which make him think. He's a very intelligent man and if he'd been brought up in a family which had actually tried to make him achieve his potential as opposed to being completely apathetic, then he could have soared, gone to university, and done very well there, and come out of it all for the better. He is more competent emotionally than I am, but out of my parents he is the most 'autistic'. My parents are both mildly quirky - I sort of inherited both sides of that and am rather more so.

VagrantFarce

Y'know, I read all these descriptions that people give about themselves, and if "asperger's syndrome" or "sensory processing disorder" or "ADHD" or whatever-the-fuck didn't enter into the conversation you'd just think that they were shy, geeky types who just need to get out of their heads and connect with people more.

I get the feeling that being diagnosed with this shit makes it a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy. Suddenly the reason you can't be "normal" is because you have a mental disorder, and rather than addressing the central issue it becomes the "reason" for who you are, and you become utterly resigned to it. It's so depressing to me, especially when you guys seem like normal people who could fit in just fine if you just got some fucking swagger and had the confidence to really feel good about yourselves around other people.

I can't be the only one who feels this way, can I?

Oh and for god's sake, this "neuro-typical" talk is a fucking myth. Please don't make the same assumption that everyone else makes - that there's a "normal" way of being, and that everyone else has it figured out except you, and it's such a shame that you're fundamentally never going to be a part of that. It's. A. Fucking. Myth.

HoneyBlossom

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Are you on the autism spectrum? (If so, please write your type of MBTI)

Yes, autism spectrum disorder (ASD ) but level mild and I don’t know my personality type but soon I will find my type.

3. How to describe your own autism (or, in the case of the second question, possible autism) in relation to your life? How would you describe your condition? How is your life adequate for her, in any case? How are autistics perceived?

I’m struggle comunicated with other people, sensory overload or overstimulated, problem to understand body language and hate small talk. My other symptoms is kind of personal so i’ll rather not to share it. I’m shy but not extremely shy but extremely quiet, definitely head in the cloud like focusing my inner world than outer world.

The only I’m mostly struggling my condiction is sensory overload when im stress and self conscious.

If I were not an autistic, the I will become different personality like I won’t have symptoms for autism.

4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autism spectrum disorder do you personally know? How serious is it? If possible, what do you think would be the type of MBTI of the person?

Honestly I don’t have friend who have diagnosis with autism, I have some friends who have different conditions except autism.

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Do you think it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in the structure of the brain? Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion about the movement of the neurodiversity?

Genetic and environmental factors. Autistic people have struggle the symptom but they are different personalities.
There’s many different problem or without problem like intelligent, behavior, preferences, condition and personalities.

I wish there was a cure for autism, some people think that they can not be cured or there are no possibilities to cure for autism, but I believe posibilities to cure for autism but if I was scientific to create a medicine then I can possibly create a medicine for autism, in my opinion...

7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes does it have to do with being particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? that is, is there a particular moment in which your condition has resulted in a comical situation? A sad / tragic situation? A particular situation where it has been a burden? A blessing? Any remarkable anecdote related to their presence on the spectrum are welcome.

Sensory overload - when I experience a situation like conflict, frustrated and stressed then I can become sensitive to light, loud noise and crowds when i’m stressed.

Self-conscious - it is difficult for me afraid what other people think about me. My friend found that autistic people have struggle overthinking the situation and conflict. I’m not saying I’m afraid negative posibilities/future but the only is I’m struggle to afraid what other think about me and moment/present.

9. If you are an autistic, is there a family member of yours that you suspect is on the spectrum?

I am not sure if my family is diagnosed with autism but I know that some of my family have different conditions.

10. Please check the option that applies to you in the survey attached to this thread.

Ok, Thanks for participating! ;)

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. Are you on the autism spectrum? (If so, please write your type of MBTI)

Correct. But mild. It makes my being an ENTP a little uh... odd and limited in some areas. It's rather ironic that, while I may not always detect dry sarcasm, I'm exceptionally good at it.

3. How to describe your own autism (or, in the case of the second question, possible autism) in relation to your life? How would you describe your condition? How is your life adequate for her, in any case? How are autistics perceived?

Sensory overload, over stimulation, hating small talk. I'm pretty good at detecting body language though. Head in clouds, zoned out not paying attention to things happening all the time. And I've been quiet all my life despite my love and need to talk and share information, and lately I've been cracking down on changing that. At least whenever I need to. My robotic texting can seem pretty detached yet I'm actually quite chill and more animated in person.

4. This question is for everyone, whether on the spectrum or not: How many people with an autism spectrum disorder do you personally know? How serious is it? If possible, what do you think would be the type of MBTI of the person?

HI only have one other friend with it but he is extremely high functioning so it's barely noticeable(ENFJ). Aside from him not getting my dry sarcasm sometimes, or his obsession with his few interests and a few odd quirks (not extremely as L from death note but I've heard it common to have them, as I have them too).

6. For everyone: What do you think is the cause of autism? Do you think it is, in fact, a disorder, or rather a difference in the structure of the brain? Do you think there should be a cure? What is your opinion about the movement of the neurodiversity?

Ehhh I just heard that the disorder was removed and it no longer is recognized. Now it's just basically being "very very introverted" basically to the point of hyper sensitivity and head in clouds. I know I am an HSP (hyper sensitive person) though and that's honestly more of an issue than autism is now. Whether or not it's the same thing, I'm not sure. The DSM isn't always accurate, hence why they're always changing and trying to redefine and re-figure out shit which is kinda of annoying. But hey, what do I know?

Lol as for a cure, welll... some think that the vaccine's CAUSE autism. Just putting that out there. It's all an elaborate lie! WAKE UP :orate:

7. If you are on the autistic spectrum, what anecdotes does it have to do with being particularly revealing of your condition, or related to it? that is, is there a particular moment in which your condition has resulted in a comical situation? A sad / tragic situation? A particular situation where it has been a burden? A blessing? Any remarkable anecdote related to their presence on the spectrum are welcome.

Sensory overload makes driving more difficult, as well as just being out in the sun at all. Burns my retina's!

Overthinking being an autism thing. Or it's just my Ti. You know, half the shit they come up with could just be type related.

It would be quite the irony if most of it was. In various health states. :rly???:

9. If you are an autistic, is there a family member of yours that you suspect is on the spectrum?

Some of my family clearly have different conditions, a few of them being PTSD as well as I. That's always fun! .. as for the rest. Ehh. Mom was suspected to have it do to me obtaining most of her traits but her mom and sister outright deny it. So eh, maybe they're in denial or maybe they're right. Who the hell knows

10. Please check the option that applies to you in the survey attached to this thread.

Yeah, I guess I better do that. But, uh... What if I don't?