User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Intelligent Forums/Internet Homes to Suck Information From?

So, while I love it here, I've found myself taking ten-minute breaks in between studying here and there to browse here and The Other Place purely b/c I need the information fix (as opposed to the camaraderie/socializing/relationships aspect I also enjoy here). I'll stay here for the socializing, but I'm looking for places I can exploit purely for informational needs.

What are some other intelligent forums that provoke thought and give me a base to jump from for learning new things? Preferably, forums that aren't 99% fluff and 1% useful information.

Geek? Politics? Philosophy? Language (in the Chomsky style of learning about language as opposed to a 2nd language, but i'll take anything!). Put more than less!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Sciforums

An interesting mix between intelligence and stupidity.

MBTI
    ISTP

I do the same. What are you interested in/what are you hobbies? I spend a lot of time on tech forums and ski forums because those are the things that interest me most.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I do the same. What are you interested in/what are you hobbies? I spend a lot of time on tech forums and ski forums because those are the things that interest me most.

I'm pretty much into everything. Jack Of All Trades, if you will. (And yes, master of none.) However, the benefit of being well-rounded is that I have accumulated a very wide base-knowledge in my 21 years here.

Music:
    *I play piano, guitar, a few band instruments (and never properly learned music theory, b/c i never practiced regularly. I'm decent at musical instruments but there's much room for growth.)
    *listen to 60s rock/bluegrass country/eclectic styles

Sports:
    Played on teams for probably a dozen different sports; never was the top athlete but generally one of the more athletic on the team.
    I'm into cycling, and i've been to bikeforums.net. They have thousands of members and it's a brillliantly run forum, so I've found some decent stuff there.

Academic:
    Have studied chemistry, psychology thoroughly in university; am interested in physics (but not motivated enough to learn the boring math basics well so I can find the good stuff) and rhetoric has caught my eye as of late.

I want to find lists of great books to read. I'll take recommendations so long as they come with a small blurb asserting a reason for me to read it. (I don't, however, have time to read much for pleasure atm. I want to know this for later.)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP

I don't usually do this, but I will give you the addy to my favorite forum in a reputation message. You will find tons of discussion on books, music, philosophy, sports, academics, and pretty much anything else you desire. It is an alternative forum.. so it might not be for you.. but it's been home to me for the past 5 years.

MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I know what you mean. Aside from this forum, I've used almost every forum I've been to as an information resource above all. I only socialize here because many of the members are intelligent enough to switch into "answering/processing" mode when a good question arises.

I can think of a few forums that might contain more useful information, but almost all of them contain fluff as well... there are very few serious forums that last long, much to my chagrin.

I could look up a few, but only if you promise not to expect anything or hold me accountable for the general quality of the posts on those forums, although I'll try to select decent ones.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'm pretty much into everything. Jack Of All Trades, if you will. (And yes, master of none.) However, the benefit of being well-rounded is that I have accumulated a very wide base-knowledge in my 21 years here.
    Hey I'll be curious to see what pops up here, I'm the same way. I've just started to use the internet as a primary source of information like 8 months ago.

I've come across the JREF Forum for interesting discussions in science... among other topics.

I also like the INTJ Forum for quick psychological insight on various sociological and psychological topics with minimal fluff. You prolly already know that one though... and of course INTPc, I'll admit I like the best.

Also, I highly recommend bookmarking blogs and building a good base of various influences. There are some smart, successful people out there who spend a good chunk of their time blogging.