User Tag List

MBTI
    infp

Default Substance Abuse Problems in Parents

How does it effect people psychologically, short term and long term, if one of their parents has a substance abuse problem (includes alcohol)?

One of my very good friend's (ENTP I think) dad is addicted to cocaine/is recovering and I wonder how this effects her short term and long term. I've talked to her about it a few times, she is getting counselling about it so she's doing better but she said it made her emotionally numb for a while and angry (more because he was never home than because he was addicted) and she didn't even realize it at the time.

I'm very curious how it will effect her in the long term, too.

What are the other variables that effect how people deal with addiction in parents? I'm guessing that the gender of the parent and your own gender makes a difference, as well as your relationship prior to the addiction.

MBTI
    ISTx

Everyone reacts to things differently. There's no way to know how your friend will internalize things and then deal with them. Human behavior is more complex than a few "variables."

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Everyone reacts to things differently. There's no way to know how your friend will internalize things and then deal with them. Human behavior is more complex than a few "variables."
    Fair enough.

Does anyone have any stories they experienced or the stories of people they know? I'd like to get an idea of how some people have dealt with it and how it has effected them. If you are not comfortable discussing it, I understand.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm sorry, don't mean to crash your thread or whatever. That's just how I feel in regards to your question. Maybe someone will come along with some useful insight. I hope that they do.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    I'm sorry, don't mean to crash your thread or whatever. That's just how I feel in regards to your question. Maybe someone will come along with some useful insight. I hope that they do.
    No no, its quite alright. What you said is true. I hope my "fair enough" didn't sound cold and passive. I was kind of worried it might, but I wasn't sure. What I meant by "fair enough" is that you are right -it will never be as predictable as I was perhaps expecting/asking it to be and it really will vary a great deal from person to person. I really respect your point because its very valid and I don't feel like you have "crashed" the thread at all.

I'm quite worried about my friend though, so I want to get whatever information about this I can, including if there is any way to know how it will effect her and some stories from people who have had similar experiences or know people who do. I want to help my friend if possible (by the sound of it the counselling is doing a lot of good so I wouldn't want to get invasive and constantly remind her about it too much). I also just think its interesting as a subject of psychology.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Please tell me this didn't start because of my post in the cat and mouse game...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Please tell me this didn't start because of my post in the cat and mouse game...
    No, I havn't read that thread yet...