• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Substance Abuse Problems in Parents

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
How does it effect people psychologically, short term and long term, if one of their parents has a substance abuse problem (includes alcohol)?

One of my very good friend's (ENTP I think) dad is addicted to cocaine/is recovering and I wonder how this effects her short term and long term. I've talked to her about it a few times, she is getting counselling about it so she's doing better but she said it made her emotionally numb for a while and angry (more because he was never home than because he was addicted) and she didn't even realize it at the time.

I'm very curious how it will effect her in the long term, too.

What are the other variables that effect how people deal with addiction in parents? I'm guessing that the gender of the parent and your own gender makes a difference, as well as your relationship prior to the addiction.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Everyone reacts to things differently. There's no way to know how your friend will internalize things and then deal with them. Human behavior is more complex than a few "variables."

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Everyone reacts to things differently. There's no way to know how your friend will internalize things and then deal with them. Human behavior is more complex than a few "variables."
Fair enough.

Does anyone have any stories they experienced or the stories of people they know? I'd like to get an idea of how some people have dealt with it and how it has effected them. If you are not comfortable discussing it, I understand.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sorry, don't mean to crash your thread or whatever. That's just how I feel in regards to your question. Maybe someone will come along with some useful insight. I hope that they do.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm sorry, don't mean to crash your thread or whatever. That's just how I feel in regards to your question. Maybe someone will come along with some useful insight. I hope that they do.

No no, its quite alright. What you said is true. I hope my "fair enough" didn't sound cold and passive. I was kind of worried it might, but I wasn't sure. What I meant by "fair enough" is that you are right -it will never be as predictable as I was perhaps expecting/asking it to be and it really will vary a great deal from person to person. I really respect your point because its very valid and I don't feel like you have "crashed" the thread at all.

I'm quite worried about my friend though, so I want to get whatever information about this I can, including if there is any way to know how it will effect her and some stories from people who have had similar experiences or know people who do. I want to help my friend if possible (by the sound of it the counselling is doing a lot of good so I wouldn't want to get invasive and constantly remind her about it too much). I also just think its interesting as a subject of psychology.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Please tell me this didn't start because of my post in the cat and mouse game... :cry: