User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default moments of extreme empathy

i am very introverted, but i sometimes experience short bursts of what extroversion must be like when i am focused on communicating so much that i am "sucked out" of myself to see from the outside in (which allows me to make a better choice of words)

it is truly a strange, strange experience, but i know it must be pretty close to what extroversion is like because as soon as i experience it, the behaviors commonly exhibited by extroverted people make absolute sense... it's about where your consciousness is placed. introversion is like driving the car of self, and extroversion is like standing outside of the car guiding it into a parking spot. very crazy!!

has anyone else experienced moments of extreme empathy? where you, more or less, reverse-engineer an experience into your own mind?

MBTI
    OMNi

Yeah, whenever I come across an objectivist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Yeah, whenever I come across an objectivist.
    i am not talking about understanding something from another point of view, i am talking about actually experiencing it. if that's what you mean, then nevermind, but objectivity is about understanding all sides of something from a logical standpoint, not emulating a style of perceiving the world.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    i am very introverted, but i sometimes experience short bursts of what extroversion must be like when i am focused on communicating so much that i am "sucked out" of myself to see from the outside in (which allows me to make a better choice of words)

it is truly a strange, strange experience, but i know it must be pretty close to what extroversion is like because as soon as i experience it, the behaviors commonly exhibited by extroverted people make absolute sense... it's about where your consciousness is placed. introversion is like driving the car of self, and extroversion is like standing outside of the car guiding it into a parking spot. very crazy!!

has anyone else experienced moments of extreme empathy? where you, more or less, reverse-engineer an experience into your own mind?
    All the time! Just went through it today when waiting for my phys therapy appt. I started talking to the receptionist I see twice a week and am, somewhat, comfortable with... well, all of a sudden I was "gripped" as if there was be some impending doom. I know that sounds extreme and dramatic but its not. That's how it felt and often does when I catch myself. I don't know if its something the other person says or some way they look but I can go from feeling like extroverts must to being me in a second.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't really experience what you guys are describing.

MBTI
    OMNi

i am not talking about understanding something from another point of view, i am talking about actually experiencing it. if that's what you mean, then nevermind, but objectivity is about understanding all sides of something from a logical standpoint, not emulating a style of perceiving the world.
    For the record, I have yet to meet an objective objectivist.

I meant it in the sense that I will argue with them relentlessly because I feel for them and understand their point of view, but I want desperately for them to understand my point of view so that they won't have to suffer in the ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    All the time! Just went through it today when waiting for my phys therapy appt. I started talking to the receptionist I see twice a week and am, somewhat, comfortable with... well, all of a sudden I was "gripped" as if there was be some impending doom. I know that sounds extreme and dramatic but its not. That's how it felt and often does when I catch myself. I don't know if its something the other person says or some way they look but I can go from feeling like extroverts must to being me in a second.
    you are still talking about understanding external things internally. im talking about experiencing a different perception to the point where it almost completely occupies your mind. it's probably something people who have done hallucinogens might be able to relate to... very "out of body"

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I don't really experience what you guys are describing.
    it's a very strange, uncommon experiences and it pushes the limits of my imagination to replicate it. i dont know how to describe it, but as an introvert experiencing full blown extroversion i can definitely see why socializing comes easier and is less taxing.

i dont want to limit this discussion to my particular experience that prompted me to start this thread, but the reason i am interested in it is because the benefits the emulation allows are very apparent... if i could harness this tool it would serve very useful for someone as introverted as I am.

im sure similar benefits could be found through this type of experience.

MBTI
    INFP

But what do you mean by experiencing full blown extroversion? I am misunderstanding something, because I thought introverts were introverts and extraverts were extraverts.. When people say that they can "be sooo extraverted sometimes" it bugs the shit out of me, because it asserts that the rest of us are always a certain way.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    But what do you mean by experiencing full blown extroversion? I am misunderstanding something, because I thought introverts were introverts and extraverts were extraverts.. When people say that they can "be sooo extraverted sometimes" it bugs the shit out of me, because it asserts that the rest of us are always a certain way.
    see my previous analogy about the car... imagine having been the car driver your entire life what it would be like to, through powers of powerful imagination, suddenly see the "car" (yourself) from someone standing in the parking lot controlling the car via remote control, more or less.

when i imagine that in myself i get short bursts of a huge alteration in perception (and by perception i mean that everything is suddenly seen through a drastically different lens) it's crazy... i was just curious if other people experienced this in some fashion... doesnt necessarily have to be related to introverts experiencing extroversion

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

you are still talking about understanding external things internally. im talking about experiencing a different perception to the point where it almost completely occupies your mind. it's probably something people who have done hallucinogens might be able to relate to... very "out of body"

it's a very strange, uncommon experiences and it pushes the limits of my imagination to replicate it. i dont know how to describe it, but as an introvert experiencing full blown extroversion i can definitely see why socializing comes easier and is less taxing.

Sorry... I do "get" it. Its just that words fail to describe what I was trying to. I only described the internal return. I think I'm familiar because there was a time when I was on the I/E border and experienced it more often. That is a curious thing actually. I started out far "I" and then over the years approached the border but am not going far "I" again. Note: Yes, it is similar to a "trip" when experiencing it.