User Tag List

First 12

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Free is a power word - like love, freedom, child, country and justice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I tend to buy exactly what I want at whatever price it's going for; given, I consume at a freakishly low rate compared to most. Accumulation of crap scares me. The loss of a couple dollars doesn't.
    I have the same sentiments. I already have too much crap.

Although, I may fall pray to book sales of this sort, since I seem to convince myself that I will read whatever piece of non-fiction I buy at some point (and I always read some parts of every book I've bought).

I think behavioral economists may benefit from doing their own "typing" at this point (degree of loss-aversion, tendency towards free stuff, responces to getting "unfair" portions of free money, etc.) A lot of what comes up seems like rehashes of old material. It also seems clear with every piece of predictable irrationallity, there are countless people who are irrational in other ways than the "norm."
    Last edited by ygolo; 03-01-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Free is a power word - like love, freedom, child, country and justice.
    And fuck.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by blog
    Consider how long you would be willing to stand in line for a free Ben & Jerry's ice cream cone. Let's assume that your answer is 20 minutes and that the cost of a Ben & Jerry's ice cream cone is $1.45. Now answer this: would you be willing to stand in line for 20 minutes for $1.45 in cash? No way.
    Yes way. That's why gameboy was invented anyway.

Or bring friends. Or even enemies. What we should do is have all the people who owe us money show up to the line too. Then we get 1.45 + X, and the other people get a clear conscience and an extra 1.45. It's like they owed you that much less.
    we fukin won boys

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

"free" the keyword in advertising... the magic word that draws people's attention.

Free is better than fuck Noc... Although perhaps free fuck sounds even better. (please excuse my semi vulgar language).

A nice thing about these power words... their effects are stackable.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Free is better than fuck Noc... Although perhaps free fuck sounds even better. (please excuse my semi vulgar language).
    Eh. This is why people can have such low standards. :rolli: Getting laid for free doesn't equate it being excellent and it'd probably be Quantity beating out Quality anyway.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    From the Predictably Irrational site blog:

I thought it a nice way of skipping over all the rigorous crafting of psychological experiment... This just cuts to the chase.

Thoughts? Other examples?

The first thing that comes to mind is when we buy two or three of something we're somewhat indifferent to at the store, just because we can get another one for free as part of the deal.
    I agree that we will do something to get something for free that we wouldn't do otherwise.
    Marketeers know that and that's why they offer free things to increase business.

My husband and I have been to a couple of time-share presentations because of the free gifts they offered us to do so.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm another person who would stand in line for 20 min for $1.45, and would also stand in line for the ice cream. I love ben and jerry's ice cream ^.^

I don't get the buy two get one free stuff, although if I already am buying the two, I'll take the free one as well. I only buy something on sale if I'd buy if normally, as in, I need or want it. Ice cream always qualifies... ^.^ I'll take it if it really is completely free, as in, no hidden costs though.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    ENTP

To be fair though, the value of Ben & Jerry's ice cream is higher for most people than the value of $1.45. Ice cream is delicious and yummy and full of rainbow kisses whereas $1.45 is a just dollar bill and a handful of change. Who the f*ck cares about a handful of change??

But back to the thread title, free is definitely my favorite four-letter word. Hell, I almost signed up for two free packs of Natural American Spirit cigarettes despite a lifetime of being a non-smoker. The power of free!!
    Extremes: Need To Pursue

I like my cars fast, my music loud, and my women even faster and louder!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by 563 740 View Post
    To be fair though, the value of Ben & Jerry's ice cream is higher for most people than the value of $1.45. Ice cream is delicious and yummy and full of rainbow kisses whereas $1.45 is a just dollar bill and a handful of change. Who the f*ck cares about a handful of change??
    To beat this example into the dirt further, there's also a time element to the free ice cream, since it's harder to find ice cream than it is to find a way to save 1.45 in general. (Though waiting 20 minutes still seems to be quite a long time for a lot of people.)