User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Accepting vs. denying your mental health disorders

To be honest I was quite relieved to find out there was an actual reason for many of my emotional disturbances in life. If anything it made me feel more normal, not less normal, to put a name to my feelings. It made me realize that other people go through this, so much so that psychologists have actually named it and found possible remedies for it. Whereas I've met quite a few people who are suspicious that they might have a mental health disorder but they don't like to be "categorized" so they won't completely accept it or deal with it.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Putting a name to something allows you to gather information that can help you deal with it. I suspect much of the time the mental health disorder interferes with a desire of getting a diagnosis.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

I think it depends on the nature of the problem in addition to the perceptions of it by the person who suspects she has it, and how she perceives it is perceived by others as well. For instance - compulsive lying - there is a HUGE stigma against lying in our society, and there is a large element of shame that goes along with it. So where someone might suspect that they have a real problem with lying, they may not want to seek help for fear of being stigmatized further.

Others don't realize they have a problem - per their specific disorder. And, as you said, some people do not like to be categorized that way, and then there are others, still, who don't believe some disorders even exist.

For some people, and more for those that you are very close to, I think it's very important that they know you will not treat them/think of them any differently should they decide to get help and an official diagnosis. Some people, like my father, thought that having a disorder was some kind of "ultimate weakness" that needed to be suppressed and blotted out of existence. All it took was a clearing of the air and a very straightforward talk (in his own style) to assure him that it's all right.

There is not enough said for emotional/social support these days, I think. It seems that as "individuality" is valued more by more people, we're then expected to be able to go at and deal with absolutely everything alone and in silence. It doesn't need to be this way.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tabula View Post
    there is a HUGE stigma against lying in our society,
    Which society are you referring to?

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    Which society are you referring to?
    Oops, I apologize. I meant American - 'least the area of it I grew up in. From talking to and travelling to other places [in the US] it seems there are similar feelings about it there as well. I don't claim to know for certain, though. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I don't know if it is in other places. :blushing:

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

For example.. Once it became known I was suffering from PTSD.. which I would have never considered in a million years, it at least helped me understand why I can behave as intensely as I do sometimes.
    Why I get so upset over seemingly nothing.

When I was a child.. I was first put on Ritalin and then Diazapam (Valium) to control my ADHD.

So I am an adult sufferer of ADHD
    I have attachment disorder
    I have had substance abuse problems
    and now I have PTSD

My Diagnosis??
    Just your average middle aged working class Canadian.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Whenever I was going through a mental and emotional breakdown, I was afraid to seek help. Not necessarily afraid of seeing a counselor... though that as well... but I suppose I felt I was too out of whack to get a proper diagnosis. Like I had something new and unheard of... simply an overemotional nut. There was also my sensitivity to what my family might think, were I to speak up about it. I could easily hear my dad's voice telling me that I'm just being ridiculous for no reason.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENTP

Cool.

Join the club.

I view people as wounded not mentally ill.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

As long as those who were diagnosed do not consistently attribute their failures to their mental health disorders... that gets old pretty fast.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.