• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Accepting vs. denying your mental health disorders

HiddenAutumn

MBTI Type
INFJ
To be honest I was quite relieved to find out there was an actual reason for many of my emotional disturbances in life. If anything it made me feel more normal, not less normal, to put a name to my feelings. It made me realize that other people go through this, so much so that psychologists have actually named it and found possible remedies for it. Whereas I've met quite a few people who are suspicious that they might have a mental health disorder but they don't like to be "categorized" so they won't completely accept it or deal with it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Putting a name to something allows you to gather information that can help you deal with it. I suspect much of the time the mental health disorder interferes with a desire of getting a diagnosis.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think it depends on the nature of the problem in addition to the perceptions of it by the person who suspects she has it, and how she perceives it is perceived by others as well. For instance - compulsive lying - there is a HUGE stigma against lying in our society, and there is a large element of shame that goes along with it. So where someone might suspect that they have a real problem with lying, they may not want to seek help for fear of being stigmatized further.

Others don't realize they have a problem - per their specific disorder. And, as you said, some people do not like to be categorized that way, and then there are others, still, who don't believe some disorders even exist.

For some people, and more for those that you are very close to, I think it's very important that they know you will not treat them/think of them any differently should they decide to get help and an official diagnosis. Some people, like my father, thought that having a disorder was some kind of "ultimate weakness" that needed to be suppressed and blotted out of existence. All it took was a clearing of the air and a very straightforward talk (in his own style) to assure him that it's all right.

There is not enough said for emotional/social support these days, I think. It seems that as "individuality" is valued more by more people, we're then expected to be able to go at and deal with absolutely everything alone and in silence. It doesn't need to be this way.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Which society are you referring to?

Oops, I apologize. I meant American - 'least the area of it I grew up in. From talking to and travelling to other places [in the US] it seems there are similar feelings about it there as well. I don't claim to know for certain, though. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear. I don't know if it is in other places. :blushing:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
For example.. Once it became known I was suffering from PTSD.. which I would have never considered in a million years, it at least helped me understand why I can behave as intensely as I do sometimes.
Why I get so upset over seemingly nothing.

When I was a child.. I was first put on Ritalin and then Diazapam (Valium) to control my ADHD.

So I am an adult sufferer of ADHD
I have attachment disorder
I have had substance abuse problems
and now I have PTSD

My Diagnosis??
Just your average middle aged working class Canadian. :)

Sunny Ghost

Whenever I was going through a mental and emotional breakdown, I was afraid to seek help. Not necessarily afraid of seeing a counselor... though that as well... but I suppose I felt I was too out of whack to get a proper diagnosis. Like I had something new and unheard of... simply an overemotional nut. There was also my sensitivity to what my family might think, were I to speak up about it. I could easily hear my dad's voice telling me that I'm just being ridiculous for no reason.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As long as those who were diagnosed do not consistently attribute their failures to their mental health disorders... that gets old pretty fast.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I view people as wounded not mentally ill.

That almost sounds worse than being mentally ill.

Yes, and generally it's accepted that it's more helpful to state the condition as something someone HAS instead of something someone IS. Like, instead of "She's mentally ill" or "She's bipolar," it's better to say, "She has a mental health condition" or "She suffers from bipolar disorder." Something about not framing the mental health condition as a defining part of a person.

I was also happy to find out that I have a mental health condition, instead of just being weak and unable to deal with the realities of life. Also, once it was established that I have a certain disorder, my doctor was able to devise a treatment for it. Character weaknesses are not treatable - mental health conditions (mostly) are. And life without panic attacks is much better!

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not all mental illnesses involve you thinking you're Jesus.
For instance OCD isn't such a big deal.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not all mental illnesses involve you thinking you're Jesus.
For instance OCD isn't such a big deal.

Hmmm... I would amend that to say "Most mental illnesses do not involve thinking you're Jesus"!

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
My point was that "mentally ill" is a bad label, since it contains both "thinking that you're Jesus, terminator, or the Pope" and less severe stuff.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ey, nothing against the terminator ! Austrian english and german english are closely connected :D

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Putting a label to the symptoms isn't a cure in itself. If subsequent treatments or therapy fails.. it does nothing in the long run.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aquarelle99 said:
Yes, and generally it's accepted that it's more helpful to state the condition as something someone HAS instead of something someone IS. Like, instead of "She's mentally ill" or "She's bipolar," it's better to say, "She has a mental health condition" or "She suffers from bipolar disorder." Something about not framing the mental health condition as a defining part of a person.

:yes:

what i've personally decided from working a bit in the field, and from having a relative with some severe mental health issues, is that it's easiest for me to just say "she has (condition)." totally neutral.

Does this mean Jesus has a mental illness that made him think he was Jesus??

:laugh: my brother has suggested this one too.

imo, i like labels for my own usage (i know i have some assorted low-grade anxiety issues, like used to have panic attacks, for instance), but i tend to avoid sharing them with others unless they are medical or mental heath professionals, because the general population where i live is fairly idiotic with regards to mental health.

Chloe

That almost sounds worse than being mentally ill.

It's not.
when they say you have bipolar, they stick label on you, and give you meds and dont treat you for the rest of your life.
when someone says you've been hurt (=wounded), they can listen your life story and see where it went downhill, and all people are wounded to a degree...