User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Auditory Processing Disorder

Anyone else have experience with this? I've never been formally diagnosed, but I do have several of the symptoms: people will talk to me and though I try to listen, it just doesn't register, I can't hear people in very noisy environments, not to mention that often, I'll get caught trying to explain some idea in my head, but I can't seem to "translate" it into English. I'm also awful at anything that requires sequential thinking and organization. Any familiarity?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

One of my friends has this. She also has trouble making some words come out even though she knows them. It's like something gets stuck or lost somewhere.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I have auditory processing issues as part of my cluster of issues that together compose asperger's syndrome. They are very common in that context, but there are still others with auditory processing disorder as an isolated problem. It's a little tricky even today, but when I was little it was pretty bad. Half the time the things people said sounded like a jumbled mess, the sounds just do not connect to words and to meanings sometimes.... nowadays I often need people to repeat things a few times, and I cannot talk to people in noisy environments. This is also why I do not like using phones, and remain very quiet around those who talk about a million miles an hour. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help out with my experience and such.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Lol. I never heard about that before, but when I read that text on wikipedia, it matched exactly a usual problem of me, although I don't think it's strong enough to call it a "disorder". In fact, I have a very good ear, which is working perfectly in every area besides talking. But I often have big issues understanding people if I don't concentrate completely on them. People often have to repeat what they're saying, and even if not, I usually do exactly what is standing in the article: I fill in the gaps myself. Also, I constantly forget what I wanted to say, but not only completely,instead most times just HOW to say it rather than WHAT.
    They say I only think in form of crunching numbers.....
    -Fall Out Boy

MBTI
    yupp

if it's dark and can't see their face i have a hard time understanding people. I also miss words or miss hear words.but not sure if I have auditory processing disorder
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Anyone else have experience with this? I've never been formally diagnosed, but I do have several of the symptoms: people will talk to me and though I try to listen, it just doesn't register, I can't hear people in very noisy environments, not to mention that often, I'll get caught trying to explain some idea in my head, but I can't seem to "translate" it into English. I'm also awful at anything that requires sequential thinking and organization. Any familiarity?
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    One of my friends has this. She also has trouble making some words come out even though she knows them. It's like something gets stuck or lost somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    if it's dark and can't see their face i have a hard time understanding people. I also miss words or miss hear words.but not sure if I have auditory processing disorder
    yes, yes and YES.

i've never heard of this before. before i found out i was an ISFP and had inferior Te, i just thought maybe i had some sort of learning disorder. my dad always got angry at me for having what he called "selective listening." when i watch movies, i use subtitles a lot to help me follow the story better. words make more sense and hit on a more intellectual or a deeper level, when i can see them versus hear them.

i also loved that you said you have a hard time translating out your ideas. i often have a very similar problem. i tried to explain this to a friend once, and described it as a disconnect between my brain and mouth. ha. i've been focusing on journaling more to help with this some, as well as using a dictionary often. but also, even if i know a word, i'll often botch it trying to pronounce it. amongst my friends, it's a funny and unique quirk of mine to change words as to make them easier for me to pronounce.

i've always figured it was just because i was far more attentive with my eyes than with my ears.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

i used to also have maaaaaajor problems with attempting to listen but not hearing anything. with my parents, friends, teachers. it was really difficult in school. i would try so hard to focus and listen, but i would only hear, "womp, womp, womp..." this has gotten better only in recent years. however, people still get angry at me for not listening and suddenly chiming in with some other topic. that may be due to actual non listening... my ex swore i was add because of this.

i'm also really really slow at catching on to lyrics in music. :[ i usually have to look them up to learn them.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Eh, I'd say it's a distinct possibility for me. I've suspected it before. When I was younger the possibility that I had a learning disorder cropped up many a time, this fits better than dyslexia.....plus I was deaf for the first four years of my life, it wouldn't be a great surprise, if I had difficulties stemming from that, or for that matter a great deal of compensatory abilities.
    In fact after reading a few articles, and pondering a little bit, eh, I say, maybe there's a bit more of a suspicion. I have a good deal of compensatory behaviours....as well as a few classic give aways, problems with word retrieval, and putting words to concepts in my mind. The fact that there is no way on earth I can ever remember a sequence of numbers conveyed to me verbally.... I always have write them down, same with spelling out words.
    Even now, I have trouble writing out complete sentences.....hate the telephone, unless I know the person on the other end really well.
    I don't do noisey bars at all (I sweat bullets, because I can't hear any one or figure out what they are saying....reading body language to extropolate doesn't quite have the same potency, or ellucidate the same meaning from conservation in this situation). Interesting.
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 01-29-2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: more additional thoughts.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did you say something? Sorry, I didn't catch it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I think I have it...I can't understand anyone on the phone, and I hear things differently than other people...Like, I'll hear the same thing, but I'll put the syllables together in my head differently.

If you say, 'I want to go to McDonald's later', I might hear 'Iwa nto gotomc donads ayta'. (Maybe not that extreme or that often, but I get them confused enough that people think I'm deaf or something) I have no hearing problems with tests, it just processes differently in my head.