• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Adults who watch Anime. How old is TOOOOooooooo old?

wolfy

awsm
images-2.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I actually have a tee shirt from Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. It has a picture of blue on it and says "Twinkle twinkle little bat, how I wonder is a cat."

Of course I also still like Sanrio characters, and am a big child like most ENFPs. When I tell people my real age they're like,"um....really?" Ha.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anime is just one of many mediums through which a story can be told. And these stories range drastically in genre; from extremely mature and philosophical/thought provoking works of art to fanservice laden giant-eyed colored hair batshit insane awesomeness that appeals to hard-core Otakus.

Also, there are levels of anime specificallt targeted towards certain audiences: shonen if often targets towards a somehwat young male demographic (ages 6 - 18 in general) while seinen is often targeted to adults (ages 16 - 50 in general). The same can be said for women demographics (shojo and josei respectivally).

Then you have ecchi and hentai which is target towards the perveted male demographic.

I love ecchi and hentai.

KDude

Besides that, some are just retellings of classic stories. Not to mention, can be innovative in their art style.. like "Gankutsuou" uses a lot of layering that's pretty cool and something I've only seen in some new digital painting styles. And it's not some adolescent "hero" story, if you know the Count of Monte Cristo.

gankutsuou.jpg

gankutsuou2.jpg

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Keep on trolling dude, it seems some people actually hooked despite of your blatant attempt.
Trolling..? It's a valid question.

Anime usually tends to be created for an adult demographic.
Cartoons usually tend to imply a younger demographic.

While satire in cartoons has managed to bridge the gap in the form of Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Drawn Together etc whose primary aim is an adult demographic. There are more certainly. Then I'd wonder at the audience for Anime which do have a mature audience in mind more often.

Now the correlation here would imply whether that happens to be a viewing instrument in a persons lives that takes over their lives and is larger than life. Whereby their sense of reality is warped because of the addiction to anime. The answer is simple, everything in moderation. There are an abundance of extremes, much like computer gaming, when is the cut off for playing computer games. You'll find adults tend to be entertained by both animation and games and when it turns into the focal point. Then yes psychologically speaking there is an issue of addiction that would needs be addressed. Everything in moderation I suppose, because there is something that is being filled by such media, and it is a media of entertainment as much as the interface between viewing films and tv series alike. When you are in it, in the whole spending more time viewing said programs then yes there is a trance here. and the trance is induced by a release of stress and escapism from that which is real to the realm of that which is disproportionate to reality.

I think there is more to it than addiction. Think about it. Why would an average 80 year -old watch "Dora The Explorer" and enjoy it? (aside from him reminiscing the "good times".)

Added to that, Is he still "average"?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It depends on which shows, and how often they watch it. Some seem weirder than others, like Teletubbies and Dora the Explorer.

I don't think you can get too old to watch Anime every once in a while, but you are too old to be obsessed with it, watching it all the time, and buying all the paraphernalia after the age of... 25 or 30?

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It depends on which shows, and how often they watch it. Some seem weirder than others, like Teletubbies and Dora the Explorer.

I don't think you can get too old to watch Anime every once in a while, but you are too old to be obsessed with it, watching it all the time, and buying all the paraphernalia after the age of... 25 or 30?

But..but...nendoroids are so much fun! :D http://theotakukid.com/2010/05/nendoroid-photography/

Anyway, slightly related question. How old is too old to read comics and watch movies based on comics?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If Walt Disney was still alive, he'd probably wonder the same thing.

Righto, I think I'll find out what John Lasseter's advice is on the subject and take it.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^

You are too literal. That was not the implied question.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, the cartoon connection to mental retardation was kind of a secondary question.

The first question was about when it is too old to watch anime, which when spoken by those who do not speak Japanese, refers to only Japanese and Japan-style animations. Most of the 'cartoons' that come from Japan and to out to the world are not things like Dora the Explorer or Little Einsteins. Most of the 'anime' is for geared towards older kids and young adults, and could easily be watched by even older adults.

Cartoons, in general, are more varied. A lot of them are geared towards school-age kids, but with some intended for very young children and some being for teens and adults only (Family Guy and such). Though it would be odd for an adult without a young child to watch Dora the Explorer regularly, there isn't necessarily anything mentally wrong, and I'm not going to be all judging them for being too old or something. But it isn't odd for an adult to be watching those TV-14/MA cartoons because that's kind of who they are intended for.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I sometimes watch cartoons, but it's usually when i'm high. I don't see anything wrong with liking cartoons. I love disney movies.

Accept

MBTI Type
TRUE
when should someone stop watching anime....19?20?40?

I think they should stop when they feel it is wrong or embarrassing, but obsessive fans, who insist on sharing when others have shown no interest in anime, should stop immediately.
attachment.php

I'm over 40 and still enjoy watching Slayers, You're Under Arrest, Ah My Goddess and even Adventures of the Mini-Goddess, but I would never insist anyone watch or have a discussion about them.

In a world where vampires sparkle, why limit your choices when it comes to entertainment.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sure some of the forum has no interest, and some have something against anime, but there I those I know who do like it, and are hiding because of some embarassment nonsense...

Mephistopheles

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w5
Adults who ask ignorant questions. How old is TOOOOoooooooo old?

It's really annoying that nearly everyone who hears the word "Anime" seems to just think about Pokemon, Digimon, Naruto, Dragonball Z etc. . It get's especially hilarious if they are typical hollywood-action-movie-watcher who usually are more interested in effects than in a intelligent story, but they tell ME I'd be childish because I watch animes. -_-

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
when should someone stop watching anime....19?20?40?

could watching cartoons be a sign of mental retardation? or some psychological disorder?

So long as its not a show for small children, like teletubbies, there is no problem with cartoons.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Adults who ask ignorant questions. How old is TOOOOoooooooo old?

It's really annoying that nearly everyone who hears the word "Anime" seems to just think about Pokemon, Digimon, Naruto, Dragonball Z etc. . It get's especially hilarious if they are typical hollywood-action-movie-watcher who usually are more interested in effects than in a intelligent story, but they tell ME I'd be childish because I watch animes. -_-
My mom is one of those people.