• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Adults who watch Anime. How old is TOOOOooooooo old?

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
when should someone stop watching anime....19?20?40?

could watching cartoons be a sign of mental retardation? or some psychological disorder?

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

Real cartoon: [video]http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=12581[/video]

Hey. At least it's not Teletubbies.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
*grabs the pitchfork* Dang, I shouldn't have watched Toy Story 3....

KDude

Assuming this thread is serious.. umm.. they're just stories. And telling stories through visual art probably has been around since the paleolithic period. If someone from then magically survived, they'd probably enjoy Full Metal Alchemist. So to answer your question, the age limit on anime is 32,000 years old.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't like them at all because I'm not a fan of Japanese storytelling, hero themes, and animation style but if you like it I don't think there's any kind of expiration date.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
To answer your question...no age limit, no, and no.

I'm indifferent about anime in general (some I like, many I don't care for or would rather not watch them ever). I would try and explain why it wouldn't make sense that adults shouldn't like anime after a certain age limit, but the context in how you stated your questions is just completely full of tripe, so I'm not going to bother. :dry:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is no such thing as too old.

And a lot of anime isn't even directed towards kids.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Why is this even a question? Why would anybody ever be too old to watch anime?

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not much into anime, but they are just one form of animation and animated films like comics and cartoons are a medium. You can fill them with pretty much any subject and direct them at different audiences. So you might as well as "When are you too old for films".

As to the content you prefer, well, that's a different story. But as long as the person in question doesn't show general signs of Peter Pan syndrome, I see no problem with watching shows directed at a younger audience either.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If we're talking about a 17-40 year-old who watches "Tom and Jerry"(level) everyday, then there is definitely a problem. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is though.

Sunny Ghost

Assuming this thread is serious.. umm.. they're just stories. And telling stories through visual art probably has been around since the paleolithic period. If someone from then magically survived, they'd probably enjoy Full Metal Alchemist. So to answer your question, the age limit on anime is 32,000 years old.
Agreed!

when should someone stop watching anime....19?20?40?

could watching cartoons be a sign of mental retardation? or some psychological disorder?
Absolutely not. Even if it is childish, I'd say there is nothing wrong with tapping in to the lighter and more innocent side of life. However, have you ever watched a good anime? Like Akira or Memories or anything Miyazaki? If we're strictly talking about Japanese anime, it developed as a form of story telling as production for actual movies or films was very restricted. Therefore, the range of storytelling and genres are far and wide in Japanese anime. There are some incredible stories told in animation form in Japan. But not limited to just Japan. There are a lot of adult targeted animation out there. Ralph Bakshi is an american "cartoonist" or animation producer and artist, and he's created a lot of amazing adult targeted stories through them. Wizards is one of my favorite by him. There's a lot of amazing French animation as well: Triplets of Belleville, Fantastic Planet. Honestly, I find a lot of these stories far more intriguing and memorable and intelligent, then the stuff hollywood produces.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Are you joking? Some anime story lines are pretty adult, depending on what you're watching.

I like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Scooby Doo, as well as more adult cartoons like Family Guy and American Dad, and that's not even close to the level of sophistication of anime.

My mom is in her 50's and likes Courage the Cowardly Dog. My grandfather always liked Tom and Jerry and old Bugs Bunny cartoons, even when he was old.

So I wouldn't worry about any of this too much if I were you, unless all you do is watch cartoons.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How old is too old to watch Futurama?

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
Yeah it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the OP just has some personal vendetta against anime. If anyone needs to grow up, it's you.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Anime usually tends to be created for an adult demographic.
Cartoons usually tend to imply a younger demographic.

While satire in cartoons has managed to bridge the gap in the form of Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Drawn Together etc whose primary aim is an adult demographic. There are more certainly. Then I'd wonder at the audience for Anime which do have a mature audience in mind more often.

Now the correlation here would imply whether that happens to be a viewing instrument in a persons lives that takes over their lives and is larger than life. Whereby their sense of reality is warped because of the addiction to anime. The answer is simple, everything in moderation. There are an abundance of extremes, much like computer gaming, when is the cut off for playing computer games. You'll find adults tend to be entertained by both animation and games and when it turns into the focal point. Then yes psychologically speaking there is an issue of addiction that would needs be addressed. Everything in moderation I suppose, because there is something that is being filled by such media, and it is a media of entertainment as much as the interface between viewing films and tv series alike. When you are in it, in the whole spending more time viewing said programs then yes there is a trance here. and the trance is induced by a release of stress and escapism from that which is real to the realm of that which is disproportionate to reality.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anime usually tends to be created for an adult demographic.
Cartoons usually tend to imply a younger demographic.

While satire in cartoons has managed to bridge the gap in the form of Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Drawn Together etc whose primary aim is an adult demographic. There are more certainly. Then I'd wonder at the audience for Anime which do have a mature audience in mind more often.

Now the correlation here would imply whether that happens to be a viewing instrument in a persons lives that takes over their lives and is larger than life. Whereby their sense of reality is warped because of the addiction to anime. The answer is simple, everything in moderation. There are an abundance of extremes, much like computer gaming, when is the cut off for playing computer games. You'll find adults tend to be entertained by both animation and games and when it turns into the focal point. Then yes psychologically speaking there is an issue of addiction that would needs be addressed. Everything in moderation I suppose, because there is something that is being filled by such media, and it is a media of entertainment as much as the interface between viewing films and tv series alike. When you are in it, in the whole spending more time viewing said programs then yes there is a trance here. and the trance is induced by a release of stress and escapism from that which is real to the realm of that which is disproportionate to reality.

:yes:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I was never a fan of anime. Besides the crappy animation and hard to follow dialog, most of the shows seem like they try too hard to be "dramatic." They're like animated soap operas. That's just not my kind of tv, if you know what I mean. :)

I want to make clear, I have nothing against those who are into it, it just isn't for me.

Last edited:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Keep on trolling dude, it seems some people actually hooked despite of your blatant attempt.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I agree, there no set age limit on cartoons. some cartoons are intentionally made for adults.