User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adults who watch Anime. How old is TOOOOooooooo old?

Probably Most Brilliant Array Craft's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

If we're talking about a 17-40 year-old who watches "Tom and Jerry"(level) everyday, then there is definitely a problem. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is though.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Assuming this thread is serious.. umm.. they're just stories. And telling stories through visual art probably has been around since the paleolithic period. If someone from then magically survived, they'd probably enjoy Full Metal Alchemist. So to answer your question, the age limit on anime is 32,000 years old.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    when should someone stop watching anime....19?20?40?

could watching cartoons be a sign of mental retardation? or some psychological disorder?
    Absolutely not. Even if it is childish, I'd say there is nothing wrong with tapping in to the lighter and more innocent side of life. However, have you ever watched a good anime? Like Akira or Memories or anything Miyazaki? If we're strictly talking about Japanese anime, it developed as a form of story telling as production for actual movies or films was very restricted. Therefore, the range of storytelling and genres are far and wide in Japanese anime. There are some incredible stories told in animation form in Japan. But not limited to just Japan. There are a lot of adult targeted animation out there. Ralph Bakshi is an american "cartoonist" or animation producer and artist, and he's created a lot of amazing adult targeted stories through them. Wizards is one of my favorite by him. There's a lot of amazing French animation as well: Triplets of Belleville, Fantastic Planet. Honestly, I find a lot of these stories far more intriguing and memorable and intelligent, then the stuff hollywood produces.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned Array
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you joking? Some anime story lines are pretty adult, depending on what you're watching.

I like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Scooby Doo, as well as more adult cartoons like Family Guy and American Dad, and that's not even close to the level of sophistication of anime.

My mom is in her 50's and likes Courage the Cowardly Dog. My grandfather always liked Tom and Jerry and old Bugs Bunny cartoons, even when he was old.

So I wouldn't worry about any of this too much if I were you, unless all you do is watch cartoons.

Tier 1 Member Array LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

How old is too old to watch Futurama?

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Yeah it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the OP just has some personal vendetta against anime. If anyone needs to grow up, it's you.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors
    Likes MisteurFox liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Anime usually tends to be created for an adult demographic.
    Cartoons usually tend to imply a younger demographic.

While satire in cartoons has managed to bridge the gap in the form of Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Drawn Together etc whose primary aim is an adult demographic. There are more certainly. Then I'd wonder at the audience for Anime which do have a mature audience in mind more often.

Now the correlation here would imply whether that happens to be a viewing instrument in a persons lives that takes over their lives and is larger than life. Whereby their sense of reality is warped because of the addiction to anime. The answer is simple, everything in moderation. There are an abundance of extremes, much like computer gaming, when is the cut off for playing computer games. You'll find adults tend to be entertained by both animation and games and when it turns into the focal point. Then yes psychologically speaking there is an issue of addiction that would needs be addressed. Everything in moderation I suppose, because there is something that is being filled by such media, and it is a media of entertainment as much as the interface between viewing films and tv series alike. When you are in it, in the whole spending more time viewing said programs then yes there is a trance here. and the trance is induced by a release of stress and escapism from that which is real to the realm of that which is disproportionate to reality.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Anime usually tends to be created for an adult demographic.
    Cartoons usually tend to imply a younger demographic.

While satire in cartoons has managed to bridge the gap in the form of Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, Drawn Together etc whose primary aim is an adult demographic. There are more certainly. Then I'd wonder at the audience for Anime which do have a mature audience in mind more often.

Now the correlation here would imply whether that happens to be a viewing instrument in a persons lives that takes over their lives and is larger than life. Whereby their sense of reality is warped because of the addiction to anime. The answer is simple, everything in moderation. There are an abundance of extremes, much like computer gaming, when is the cut off for playing computer games. You'll find adults tend to be entertained by both animation and games and when it turns into the focal point. Then yes psychologically speaking there is an issue of addiction that would needs be addressed. Everything in moderation I suppose, because there is something that is being filled by such media, and it is a media of entertainment as much as the interface between viewing films and tv series alike. When you are in it, in the whole spending more time viewing said programs then yes there is a trance here. and the trance is induced by a release of stress and escapism from that which is real to the realm of that which is disproportionate to reality.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Personally, I was never a fan of anime. Besides the crappy animation and hard to follow dialog, most of the shows seem like they try too hard to be "dramatic." They're like animated soap operas. That's just not my kind of tv, if you know what I mean.

I want to make clear, I have nothing against those who are into it, it just isn't for me.
    Last edited by freeeekyyy; 01-28-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

Keep on trolling dude, it seems some people actually hooked despite of your blatant attempt.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I agree, there no set age limit on cartoons. some cartoons are intentionally made for adults.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast