• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Snap Decisions: Do they work?

meanlittlechimp

MBTI Type
ENTP
You might like Blink, by Malcom Gladwell

"In Blink, Malcolm Gladwell (author of The Tipping Point) explores the experience of making quick, impulsive decisions. There are those who are brilliant decisions makers who often make their judgement in the blink of an eye, and those who constantly fail at the same task. What makes the difference between the two and how do the successful decision makers instantly process the information that leads them down the right path? Gladwell introduces the concept of "thin-slicing," being able to filter the important information from a multitude of variables. He shows examples of how this can be done and how it can be blocked by prejudices already in place."

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
You might like Blink, by Malcom Gladwell

"In Blink, Malcolm Gladwell (author of The Tipping Point) explores the experience of making quick, impulsive decisions. There are those who are brilliant decisions makers who often make their judgement in the blink of an eye, and those who constantly fail at the same task. What makes the difference between the two and how do the successful decision makers instantly process the information that leads them down the right path? Gladwell introduces the concept of "thin-slicing," being able to filter the important information from a multitude of variables. He shows examples of how this can be done and how it can be blocked by prejudices already in place."

EJ's and sensors might have a benefit, but it's hard to tell -- there are many many factors.

For example, Si-primary people -- are their sensory impressions more apt to help them (if they are in a situation similar to their past experience) or go against them (if they are in a new situation)?

Will Se people do better in just responding to the environment, rather than instinctively connecting it up with past experience that might or might not be true?

I am thinking that both Se and Ne people might do better in this regard, because they are naturally looking for external data (whether the data itself or the patterns of the data) and thus responding [actually, FLEXING] to it.

There was an example in Blink of a (forgive me if I quote this wrongish) fire chief who was inside a burning house with his men. Despite things being normal and under control, he suddenly decided he that he needed to get his men out of the house, right now. Sure enough, as they were leaving, the floor they had been standing on suddenly collapsed. Later investigation revealed that the fire had started in the cellar and worked it's way up into the the house - they had gone in with the assumption that the fire had started in the kitchen. The guy swore for years that he must have ESP until he went back and reconstructed the experience with the interviewer (or someone else, doesn't matter). It turned out that his "ESP" was actually his subconscious picking up on clues that his conscious mind missed - things like how it was quieter than a normal fire, etc.

Sounds like S to me, but it's tough to say Si (his lifetime of experience) or Se (being in the moment).

Food for thought, anyways. :headphne:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
There was an example in Blink of a (forgive me if I quote this wrongish) fire chief who was inside a burning house with his men. Despite things being normal and under control, he suddenly decided he that he needed to get his men out of the house, right now. Sure enough, as they were leaving, the floor they had been standing on suddenly collapsed. Later investigation revealed that the fire had started in the cellar and worked it's way up into the the house - they had gone in with the assumption that the fire had started in the kitchen. The guy swore for years that he must have ESP until he went back and reconstructed the experience with the interviewer (or someone else, doesn't matter). It turned out that his "ESP" was actually his subconscious picking up on clues that his conscious mind missed - things like how it was quieter than a normal fire, etc.

Sounds like S to me, but it's tough to say Si (his lifetime of experience) or Se (being in the moment).

Food for thought, anyways. :headphne:

*nods* That was an anecdote given in Blink... I would argue it's Ne at work... not Si or Se... Although Ne certainly need to draw from Si bank of knowledge to fit the puzzle together.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Do people think just because a decision is made quickly it's a bad decision?

I don't think so because I do the same at times too.

I think most of decisions are always done in a situation where all the relevant information concerning the decision is not available. So, decisions are always based on many other things than facts (+ it's impossible to predict the future 100%).

So, it really doesn't matter if you think a decision long or a short time because the result is always more or less random.

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
*nods* That was an anecdote given in Blink... I would argue it's Ne at work... not Si or Se... Although Ne certainly need to draw from Si bank of knowledge to fit the puzzle together.

I would argue back :D that Ne would have been a more conscious thing - "It's too quiet in here, I don't like it; better get the men out". Ne would have been able to put the pieces together after the fact as well - whereas this guy spent years & years convinced it was ESP that told him to get out. There's nothing mystical like that about Ne - it's just cold, hard cause & effect.

Maybe Ni fed from Se??

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I would argue back :D that Ne would have been a more conscious thing - "It's too quiet in here, I don't like it; better get the men out". Ne would have been able to put the pieces together after the fact as well - whereas this guy spent years & years convinced it was ESP that told him to get out. There's nothing mystical like that about Ne - it's just cold, hard cause & effect.

Maybe Ni fed from Se??

Ne as being conscious? A difficult thing to prove. Ni Se will work though... but Ni Se looks on the surface like Ne anyhow. If you're given time to work it out, Ni is also cause and effect. Except it's cause and effect happening inside the mind. However the inputs right now is external. Hence I think Ne is more likely.