User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Mav, it's funny you mention both of those. I chose my first car, which I drove for 22 years, by test driving a Subaru and no other car. It had great handling and "felt" right. I didn't do research on cars ahead of time.

We chose our house in a very similar way - it just felt right and seemed to fit us. Over the years we've found many reasons why it was a good choice - quiet neighborhood, wonderful neighbors, great schools nearby, shops and libraries in walking distance, etc. But we didn't research any of that.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    I tend to trust my gut reaction to things so I can go with what can seem a snap decision alot of the time. It does work out for me 90% of the time and I rarely regret.
    Ditto.

I know an ISTJ who is very sure of what's The Right Choice when he makes it, but GOOD GRIEF does he ever take his time making it!!! To so much as begin using hand cream for his chapped skin, he requires WEEKS of researching medical journals and papers to discover the true efficacy and best method of use of dry skin treatments, then he has to research all the alternative hand creams in order to find The Best One, then he has to find the Right Shop to buy it from, and calculate which SIZE of bottle he should buy based on price per gram compared to use by date and estimated time the amount should last and whether or not getting a bigger bottle would actually waste money because there'd be some left over past its use by date before he used it up and... oh my word!!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I know for INFJs, we're quick at making snap judgments about people. Especially for assigning people to groups and tasks. Everything else for me though is a slow and laborious process.

Perhaps it has to do with knowledge? That different types pay more attention to different things and thus pick up knowledge in different areas... making them more accurate in certain types of snap decisions.
    Now as for snap judgments.. that is something I do not do. I've noticed I suspend judgment indefinitely.. I never put people in a category.. I guess because it's not useful to do so, unless that is your number one means of protecting yourself.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Ditto.

I know an ISTJ who is very sure of what's The Right Choice when he makes it, but GOOD GRIEF does he ever take his time making it!!! To so much as begin using hand cream for his chapped skin, he requires WEEKS of researching medical journals and papers to discover the true efficacy and best method of use of dry skin treatments, then he has to research all the alternative hand creams in order to find The Best One, then he has to find the Right Shop to buy it from, and calculate which SIZE of bottle he should buy based on price per gram compared to use by date and estimated time the amount should last and whether or not getting a bigger bottle would actually waste money because there'd be some left over past its use by date before he used it up and... oh my word!!!
    That... is ridiculous for buying some hand cream... but the studies do suggest that with simple decisions like that people are more likely to be satisfied if they do research on it. Whatever floats his boat I suppose...

MBTI
    istp

The best decisions are made quickly and decisively. Vacillation guarantees failure.

I mean, just look at the whole omg is he a prick nonsense.
    No offense.

sammy

For practical things, like buying a car or other purchases, I come to decisions very quickly, and I rarely regret them. When picking out colleges for my graduate studies, I know I will be taking my time researching the school's area for residential opportunities, travel accommodations, population demographics, cultural outlets, the academic environment, etc.

Making a decision about people, for me, takes some more time. I'm often giving people multiple chances to show me their nature within states of happiness, stress, neutrality, etc. I like to see as much of the person as possible before coming to a conclusion about them, but the few times I have had to come to "snap decisions" about people based on very little visceral data, I have not been disappointed.

MBTI
    INTP

No!

- that was a snap decision.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Do people think just because a decision is made quickly it's a bad decision?

I make what could be called "snap decisions" and I'm not right all the time but my success rate is pretty good. I don't think it's impossible to go into a situation and size what's going on fairly quickly and arrive at an accurate conclusion.

ETA:
    BBC NEWS | Health | Snap decisions sometimes the best
    Why Snap Decisions Work
    It depends on what the consequences are for a bad decision. Most of the time the consequences of choosing something less than optimal are fairly small. For the sake of efficiency snap decisions are more practical.

On the other hand when there could be great consequences for a bad decision, then the decision should be made slowly and carefully. For example a President should not declare war simply because of a "gut feeling". Likewise I'd doubt most people would want their surgeon speeding through open heart surgery no matter how many times they've done it before. A person who doesn't stop to consider whether or not they should buy condoms that night might end up suffering life long consequences. Ultimately it depends on the situation.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Haven't read all in here, just wanted to quickly share what I was thinking I've recognized the importance of impulsive decisions long time ago. I've been a little weak on acting on them - but I love it, and I've long thought the best moods I can have is one where I'm in the flow, doing constant snap decisions

I can rarely make big snap decisions correctly, but I have a great practice for small things I love. It's cleaning It's easy, so I won't fear a failure. I just clean and organize some items as they pop into my mind, seeing something that needs to be done.. and do it. Next I just need something where I can practice some bigger tasks in a safe environment..

I've already practiced with business, but it cost me 30,000eur50,000eur so I'll resort to cheaper practice next But, it's awesome when it works and very much worth of trying to do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Do people think just because a decision is made quickly it's a bad decision?

I make what could be called "snap decisions" and I'm not right all the time but my success rate is pretty good. I don't think it's impossible to go into a situation and size what's going on fairly quickly and arrive at an accurate conclusion.

ETA:
    BBC NEWS | Health | Snap decisions sometimes the best
    Why Snap Decisions Work
    A decision can seem like a snap decision, but can sometimes actually be based on foundational data accumulated over a long period of time.

I wonder how consistently successful that stock buying experiment would turn out to be. A lot of stock success is about social image so I'm not exceedingly surprised that their method was successful.

Generally speaking though, I can see how not constantly second-guessing yourself might turn out to be more successful.