User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Is Facebook making us sad?

http://www.slate.com/id/2282620/

Jordan got the idea for the inquiry after observing his friends' reactions to Facebook: He noticed that they seemed to feel particularly crummy about themselves after logging onto the site and scrolling through others' attractive photos, accomplished bios, and chipper status updates. "They were convinced that everyone else was leading a perfect life," he told me.
    I can agree that it might seem like it's a 24/7 class reunion where you see all your friends having successful careers/families/facelifts in real-time, and you could feel unworthy in contrast. Maybe that's because envy is supposed to be my main 4w5 weakness.

Moral of the story : Just friend people with negative status updates. It will make you feel relatively happier!
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Not to mention keeping up with your ex GF/BFs lives can be a downer. I'm not a big facebook lover myself.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Seems like if you're lamenting others' success because you're not having any of your own, it's your own pitiful existence that's making you sad. Facebook just helps you realize it, I suppose? Don't kill the messenger.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Facebook doesn't make me sad, though sometimes it annoys me. I'm actually happy when I look at some of my old high school friends, glad that I didn't stay where they are and live the lives they're leading. It's also interesting to see where some people have ended up.

I like that I can keep up with my old friends and family in one place without having to send Christmas cards or some shit like that.

There are lots of things I don't like about facebook - like when family members tag bad pictures of me, or when my drunk ex-boyfriend randomly decided to tell me he loved me on my public wall - but it never makes me feel unworthy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Eh. I find it to be a necessary evil these days. In order to be in contact with someone, you either rely on texting or Facebook. FB allows for mass event invites, sharing of big news that you would otherwise have to drag out if it was left to actual socializing...eh, I find it a good way to keep up with the friends that I like hanging out with every couple months - but not too much. Not to mention FB is good for creeping on potential men, or creeping on the EX, or....when in a particularly spiteful mood and inebriated, looking at the people you hate. It's all rather convoluted and sad, but it doesn't make me feel sad.

I will say that it is alarming when you find what people are doing with their lives after high school and how radically different it is. Seriously, so many people boast about being pregnant and then the ultimate marriage results. A twang of...perhaps sadness flicks through me for a flash second when I see this, but then I think clearly and rational again. I will say that Facebook does seem to foster the idea of some people having 'perfect' lives. :\

Though...the world would probably be a much better place if it had never been invented, in my opinion.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it doesn't make me sad.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Fb makes me curious about how others are and makes me feel like I belong somehow strangely.

i really like what i've been seeing on facebook lately.
    it makes me want to kill.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    http://www.slate.com/id/2282620/

I can agree that it might seem like it's a 24/7 class reunion where you see all your friends having successful careers/families/facelifts in real-time, and you could feel unworthy in contrast. Maybe that's because envy is supposed to be my main 4w5 weakness.

Moral of the story : Just friend people with negative status updates. It will make you feel relatively happier!
    some of those people are liars

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

It doesn't make me sad. It just reminds me who I refuse to hang out with because they now have kids!
    Okay, so it does a bit more than that . My facebook experiences have all been fairly pleasant. I would say it is more of the state of mind of users that determines whether or not it makes them sad. There are more situations where it frustrates me than saddens me, but those are still limited in comparison to the positives. All perspective.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance