User Tag List

First 12345 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Seems like if you're lamenting others' success because you're not having any of your own, it's your own pitiful existence that's making you sad. Facebook just helps you realize it, I suppose? Don't kill the messenger.

MBTI
    ENTP

Dear OP,

Facebook is a lie.

AND I REALLY HOPE IT DOESN'T GET AN OSCAR.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    But how is that any different from hearing people talk about those things in day-to-day life? I mean, when someone goes on a mountain hike... They don't just post it on Facebook. They talk about it to colleagues, classmates, whatever. This is EXACTLY the same as sitting in class and hearing them say, "Dude, I went on this amazing mountain hike this weekend..."
    Agreed. In fact, the study mentioned in the article was not focused on Facebook.

In one of the Stanford studies, Jordan and his fellow researchers asked 80 freshmen to report whether they or their peers had recently experienced various negative and positive emotional events. Time and again, the subjects underestimated how many negative experiences ("had a distressing fight," "felt sad because they missed people") their peers were having. They also overestimated how much fun ("going out with friends," "attending parties") these same peers were having.
    However, this "The grass is greener on the other side" feeling can be made more acute by Facebook because what we're seeing are the hand-picked highlights of people, some of whom we don't have a day-to-day interaction with.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENTP

Exactly, everyone's posting pictures when they're having fun, looking hot, doing interesting things, being in interesting places. Everyone's creating an ideal desirable self.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    However, this "The grass is greener on the other side" feeling can be made more acute by Facebook because what we're seeing are the hand-picked highlights of people, some of whom we don't have a day-to-day interaction with.
    Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    Exactly, everyone's posting pictures when they're having fun, looking hot, doing interesting things, being in interesting places. Everyone's creating an ideal desirable self.
    Yeah. Thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking when I posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    And you know those people posting witty comments and making constant Facebook updates about how awesome their life is? Guess where they're doing it from? Sitting alone in front of a computer monitor.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Dear OP,

Facebook is a lie.

AND I REALLY HOPE IT DOESN'T GET AN OSCAR.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

It is silly, but yeah, it kinda does make me sad. It is not only though that I get to see how people seem to lead a happy life without much worries (you can see that when they write how annoyed they are by totally unimportant things also which are a joke), but also that it shows me again what I should usually know already all too well anyway in a brutal way that I am lonely and people don't care a little about me, since I don't even get a bit of the silly, useless spam everyone else gets. That made me retreat from another social network I was at before, but well, I registered then on Facebook several months later just to let people an open door if someone would want to contact me some time later, although chances are the door will be unused. Now I just try to log in to facebook only very rarely (if there is something happening like a friend invite or so I get an email notification anyway) so it doesn't annoy me too much, which seems to work somewhat for me.

The only bittersweet moments are when people complain about their little drama stories they had with Facebook, which I obviously don't experience

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Cityville makes my insides smile.

MBTI
    ENTP

I was a cube logic addict, now I can proudly say I am cured. After I beat everybody else's record at that game (meaning 150 friends, and only 15 play) and they didn't really bother with the game.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

One of the main reasons for me to not be on FB... I would feel like I am doing an advertisement for myself. Probably would even have to become more active in order to make my life seem more interesting Or, maybe I would make a big thing about not having an interesting life. That might be funny... nah, that would seem martyrish...