User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

I have the same issue sometimes and will forcefully cut myself off from facebook. Even though I know I shouldn't compare, it is hard not to believe everyone else is cooler, prettier, happier, more successful, etc.

I'm actually on a forced cut off from facebook now. Ha!
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh you know what does make me sad? When certain people won't friend me on facebook.

That makes me sad. That's not the same thing as the OP though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It's only sad because it is so superficial. It's still a good way to stay connected with people and provides some light occasional entertainment.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

...but I'm an easily depressed 4w5... apparently I'm the only one to respond thus far that is saddened by facebook.
    -John Green

ThatGirl

HA, I was watching a TV show and the character said, "I was on facebook. Had to share intimate details with people I would usually avoid on the street."

I thought that was hilarious. I am not on facebook. I have an account, no friends. Mostly only to look up things other people reference.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I have the same issue sometimes and will forcefully cut myself off from facebook. Even though I know I shouldn't compare, it is hard not to believe everyone else is cooler, prettier, happier, more successful, etc.

I'm actually on a forced cut off from facebook now. Ha!
    I've always wondered about that option. Does it help?

thinking of you

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't have a Facebook, but if stuff like that bothered me, I would be surrounded by it anyway.

I walk to class and hear two girls talking about the AWESOME time they had last night at that party. I sit in class and hear the guy behind me invite 3 people to a party at his place this weekend. I get back to my apartment and hear the girls upstairs cranking dance music and hear people screaming. Hell, I could go to Walmart and see a couple walking together.

Frankly, if you're going to be made depressed by witnessing the social interaction of others... Getting rid of your Facebook isn't going fix it.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

cutting yourself off from it? yes. makes you stop comparing.
    -John Green

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Frankly, if you're going to be made depressed by witnessing the social interaction of others... Getting rid of your Facebook isn't going fix it.
    not necessarily by witnessing social interactions of others... all facets of comparison.

obviously, if it's a problem that exists on facebook it is indeed a problem that occurs even without... but with facebook it's definitely worse. especially if you're already depressed and isolated yourself from the world and feeling lethargic. logging on to facebook and seeing that this person created these beautiful photos, or that person went for a mountain adventure hike, or this person went to such and such concert... or this person posted something incredibly funny and witty... etc. etc. it can be very damaging to the sensitive types. we can start to feel as though we don't measure up.
    -John Green

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    logging on to facebook and seeing that this person created these beautiful photos, or that person went for a mountain adventure hike, or this person went to such and such concert... or this person posted something incredibly funny and witty... etc. etc. it can be very damaging to the sensitive types. we can start to feel as though we don't measure up.
    But how is that any different from hearing people talk about those things in day-to-day life? I mean, when someone goes on a mountain hike... They don't just post it on Facebook. They talk about it to colleagues, classmates, whatever. This is EXACTLY the same as sitting in class and hearing them say, "Dude, I went on this amazing mountain hike this weekend..."

And you know those people posting witty comments and making constant Facebook updates about how awesome their life is? Guess where they're doing it from? Sitting alone in front of a computer monitor.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~