User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default Figuring out what you want out of life...

I'm 27 years old and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

My mother seems to think that I should settle down and pick SOMETHING... she did as far as occupations go and she finds her job rather fulfilling. I've tried out a few different paths of work, and I can't seem to get into other fields, which seem to only want to hire people with experience

It's not about finding a job though really... the real problem is that I have no fucking idea what I WANT out of life. What do I want to do? Who do I want to be to others? What can I do that would use my skills for the GOOD of people and not get walked all over?

I have a SO who I adore... he's great and I have no desire to ever leave him... that's one thing that I have as a constant... otherwise, what's there?

How do people figure out what they want out of their lives? Do they ever figure it out? Will I end up like my dad, who at the age of 68 still doesn't know what he really wants with the exception of my mom?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Step 1. Who's lifestyle and achievements do you envy?

Step 2. How could that person have improved?

Step 3. Read something inspirational and commit to being the person in Step 2 and never question what you should be doing again.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't really envy ANYONE'S life...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    That's fine, but why not? What are they missing?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

they're not me

I really don't WANT that much, when it all comes down to it... to be happy, that's really it

Phantonym

Well, I can definitely relate. I don't really know what I want out of life either. But it's a work in progress and I do seem to have a direction I've been walking towards. It's been a combination of brushing off the things I know I wouldn't want to have in my life, things that are more negative in nature than positive and not constructive, and just doing "something" and not merely expecting things to fall on my lap.

I can see the value in just picking something and going with that for a while. I say for a while because sometimes people get caught up in that thing and can't find their way out again and they're still at a loss, so it's best to be aware of that. Picking something for a "test run" to see how it could fit and deciding whether the things associated with that something suit you and your needs, whether there's potential in that something for you as an individual and if it is inspiring enough to feed further development in any which way can be beneficial. More often than not, doing "something" will make it clear that it's really not something you would want to do. But then there's the pressure of time again, *sigh*...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

they're not me

I really don't WANT that much, when it all comes down to it... to be happy, that's really it
    I still envy people who aren't me. They don't have to be me for me to envy them. I think you're being evasive so you can stay confused and avoid accountability, but I'll play along anyway...

What does happiness entail? What makes a person happy? Specifically, what makes you happy?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I totally understand the stumbling along and trying to learn while doing approach... I'm afraid of getting stuck in a job just because I'm good at it and never really feeling like I belong there and never really feeling fulfilled by what I'm doing. I don't want to end up just working to get a paycheck

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I still envy people who aren't me. They don't have to be me for me to envy them. I think you're being evasive so you can stay confused and avoid accountability, but I'll play along anyway...

What does happiness entail? What makes a person happy? Specifically, what makes you happy?
    we aren't the same person, for goodness sake :rolli: I'm not being evasive, I just really don't have a fucking clue what I'm looking for because I really don't ever see someone and think "gee, I'd love to be like them!"

I'm not sure what makes me happy on a professional plane... I like to interact with people, but sales always leaves me with a dirty, guilty feeling like I'm not doing anything for the good of anyone in the end... and thanks to that being the field I have experience in, that's the only type of job that I tend to get I can think of things that make me happy, but they're really simple, like walking barefoot in the grass, or the taste of fresh pineapple, or the feel of someone I like's skin against my naked skin

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

That's because you have an awesome one, and you're awesome in it! I hope to come back reincarnated as your left elbow. ATLEAST.

If you woke up tomorrow and said "Holy crap! That sounds like fun every dratted day of my life!", you will have staggered upon what would suit you.

When narrowing down what I liked, it came to (repeatedly): writing and cars. Not the two together necessarily, but here's what I want from my life - to become a writer, and to become a stunt driver (or at least be trained as one). I've wanted to do both for most of my life and it isn't changing, so hey! Why not, right?

I think you'd make a great safari guide or a bridge jumper. You have that confidence, smarts, and physical competence where you could do most anything. If push comes to shove, create your own kind of job! You know, specialize!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious