User Tag List

12 Last

Default There is no such thing as personality.

Or so this claims. (its a .pdf)

Thoughts?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Well, just one really: Note my signature.

And... whoever said: The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I'm not throwin that out anytime soon.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I very much agree with Seanan. Most of the time we do it like we've done it in the past. Behaviour patterns. And I think they in turn shape us to who we becomes. And the more you stick to something the harder it is to change.

For an example, I probably became an ESTP when I was little because I grew up the way I did. I was pretty much allowed to be a wild child at certain areas of life, my parents weren't much for rules THAT way, but the way they raised me was that I always have to be honest, empathic etc. And because my father is an ENTP techie I probably became a sensor from spending too much time inventing primitive gadgets in the bigass garage he has. I do not complain... My inventive capabilities are way beyond normal and I use them all the time to find quick solutions in social and technical situations.

Wheoa... That was a lot of elaboration. I do however believe that experiences in life can re-shape us to act after other behaviour patterns. When i'm depressed I become very INTP:ish for an example. So I don't think that personality types is a FIXED situation and a final decision of who you are or anything.

However i'm very much ESTP most of the time.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Or so this claims. (its a .pdf)

Thoughts?
    My first impression is that I disagree with Kunda entirely.
    His insights are stupid.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    However i'm very much ESTP most of the time.
    You don't sound like an ESTP -- at least not any I've met.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I am very balanced, and generally i'm a goddamn weirdo
    But, Rhino, please elaborate on why i'm not like any ESTP's you've met?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    But, Rhino, please elaborate on why i'm not like any ESTP's you've met?
    You don't sound like them. Read more of whatever's posts. She sounds like them.

Of course, I don't really know you, so none of this really means anything.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I read a lot, and i'm affected in how I express myself from the specific books i'm reading. I think the art of expressing thoughts in words is really the highest form of art, because it really has an effect.

If, for an example, my english was as bad as most european people speak and write it, you guys wouldn't even bother reading my posts. And there wouldn't even be a remote possibility of a polite reply.

Reading is generally not an ESTP trait, I know. But that's because of my family and relatives, we all read a lot. And most are highly educated people, and that has affected me pretty much I think.

I think the article was mainly asserting that "traits" are not really permanent things but situational. Not denying the stability of tendencies over time.

Just food for thought.

----
    There is also on article in the most recent Psychology Today about learning the personality traits of courage, optimism, and joy.

Not easy to learn. But possible was the claim.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

There has to be something like personality, as people act diferently even if they are identical twins raised in the some home.