User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Because beauty is subjective, and sad songs can be beautiful.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Recently I've found out it works for me at set times to listen to sad music. For me it works to listen to a type of music that fits the mood i'm in. I kind of have a hard time adjusting when I or someone else plays music that doesn't. So I'm off now for some sad music. I think just having done the dishes is what actually does work for me to feel better (just as being outside, so it's on another scale than music). I think it was Leonard Cohen's quote that when you made a record, people'd only listen to it while doing the dishes. I don't know whether that quote is related, but it popped up.

It isn't easy to find sad music. By 'YouTubing' the word 'sad' I can find some... Most of it is straightforward (or at the same time actually not quite hitting it), although it does have its value, like 'Dark sad beat' or 'Sad romance'/'Sad violin'. Thanks for your links, the first two already sound good.
    INtj | 9w1

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Because it makes me feel less alone in my sorrow. Someone "understands" the pain.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

It allows us to let out the mood. It is sort of like a diary or a journal. You write to let out your experience (your grievances, your happiness, your sadness, your anger, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I always avoid sad music, it really is stupid to listen to.
    What's the point of being scared, sad or otherwise negative when you don't have to?
    The world surely is depressing enough, well at least the people in it.

My scale of music never goes into "sad" music, it stops at "romantic" music or such.
    That's in my world where the divide is. Romantic music can be either happy or sad, I surely only listen to the happy side.
    Irish folk music is extremely jovial and nice, it has saved me out of many a hole in this time.
    DENIAL!

Fake happiness is worse than true sadness. At least, that is how I see it.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i remember reading somewhere that INTPs usually listen to music that matches their feelings and ENFPs tend to listen the type of music that is more about how they want to feel. I guess this might be Fe/Ti vs Fi/Te thing
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I think it's I v E. Weather we draw from inside or outside.

For me listening to sad music will make me sad, and if I'm sad listening to happy music will make me happy.

Introverts tend to feel the opposite, music matches rather than influences their moods.

I almost always listen to music, except when I am hungover.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i remember reading somewhere that INTPs usually listen to music that matches their feelings and ENFPs tend to listen the type of music that is more about how they want to feel.
    my INTP brother seems to listen to the same style of music pretty much all the time, and not really care about the feelings. i tried asking him the question and he wasn't really interested. he seems more concerned about the musical technicalities of the songs than about how they affect his emotions.

personally, having music around that doesn't match my mood is very hard, because it throws me off inside. it's like the music takes over my head and fills me up with whatever its meaning and intonation in. i have a hard time concentrating on other things. sometimes it's okay if it's not happy - for a long drive on a dreary day, sometimes i like listening to a little sweet, melancholy music, and when i'm working out, sometimes i like to listen to angry music. but in general i filter music by the meaning of the lyrics... in general i don't like to listen to anything that i find offensive or harmfully negative (ie, raping bitches, etc). i'm most often on my "fun" playlist.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Without commenting on the probability for a feedback loop as a result of circular expectation (sad music will necessarily invite sadness for most), the purpose of music has always been the development of emotional connection to the outside world. The point of any art form is the discovery of the emotional self, set in context of the particular medium (watercolor, for example).

So, it shouldn't surprise us that we seek out music to match our moods. That we want to further connect our emotional identity to something tangible and pleasant to listen to. Music is just another path to self-discovery.

All art is emotion. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I think it's I v E. Weather we draw from inside or outside.

For me listening to sad music will make me sad, and if I'm sad listening to happy music will make me happy.

Introverts tend to feel the opposite, music matches rather than influences their moods.

I don't know about this one. I remember you said it before. I was wondering about it so I played a variety of songs on the way to work, they pull me in their direction. I know that sad songs make me sad and thirsty for a shot of spirits, especially Johnny Cash. And really aggressive music tends to pull me into a more aggressive mood. I know 'cause I use music that way. To pull me into moods.