User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Boys Adrift

MBTI
    INFP

Default Boys Adrift

I heard an interview with Dr. Leonard Sax on the radio show Coast to Coast AM. He was discussing his book Boys Adrift. The book focuses on the development of boys, but does so in terms of considering both genders. His basic premise is that for various reasons normal development has been altered in the past generation or so.

The website about this book:
    Boys Adrift

Here is an excerpt from his book Why Gender Matters and an interview with him on the Today show:
    Are kids hardwired differently? - TODAY: Books - MSNBC.com

The primary problem he sees is the estrogen-like chemicals that leach out of clear plastic bottles. This causes boys to develop slower and not to develop normally, and it causes girls to develop faster. Young men now have majorly decreased levels of testosterone and sperm count than previous generations.

Another major problem is that the school system has tried to treat boys and girls equally in recent decades. Teachers don't take into account that boys and girls develop differently, and the natural behavior of boys has become unacceptable in schools. To try to calm boys down more like girls, drugs such as ritalin have increasingly been given to boys. This is a twofold problem. Boys are stunted psychologically which is bad enough, but the drugs have long-term consequences on brain development. It causes a part of the brain that relates to motivation to not to fully develop.

So, this means that young men are becoming evermore effeminate and apathetic. Young women are more likely to go to college, get degrees, and get professional careers. Also, with the sexual dynamic messed up, sexual attraction has decreased and along with it so has marriage.

I Googled him. He sounds like a sexist kook with a hard on for the repressive gender roles of the 1950s. As an unmotivated, video game playing young man with no interest in marriage, I cordially invite him to blow me.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

hmmm, always the thoughtful, provocative, educated response.

Actually, I've seen some of the same trends as Sax mentions, but I haven't studied the actual details enough to know for sure about the estrogens leaking into the environment, etc. That one certainly has come up before... and it's definitely true that girls are physically maturing far earlier than they used to (developing breasts/curves and menstruating).

It's pretty clear, though, that the school systems cater to certain personality types. In the past decade, there does seem to have been a shift more towards hands-on learning (rather than "at desk" learning), which I think helps boys out immensely.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP

I don't know to the extent that he is true, but I think there is something to it. He says that recent research gives evidence to his claims. His ideas don't seem absurd to me. They fit my limited observations of kids these days... a category I include myself in as I'm on the younger end of Gen X.

I wouldn't take it as a personal insult or anything just because he is critical of video games. Replace internet and tv for the video game part, and how you described yourself fits me.

I haven't read any of his books. All I know about him is the interview I just heard. I don't entirely agree with him. I don't think the video game argument is strong, and I don't entirely accept his cultural criticisms as being necessary conclusions of the evidence. I think his strongest argument is his central one about estrogen-like chemicals because that part can be looked at clearly using scientific research.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default breast cancer and maturation in girls

From the China Study by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D:

Risk of Breast Cancer Increases When a Woman Has:
    1. Early Age of Menarche
    2. Late Age of Menopause
    3. High Levels of Female Hormones in the Blood
    4. High Blood Cholesterol

a Diet High in Animal Foods and Refined Carbs:
    1. Lowers the Age of Menarche
    2. Raises the Age of Menopause
    3. Increases Female Hormone Levels
    4. Increases Blood Cholesterol Levels

MBTI
    INFP

Dr. Sax did mention the increases of breast cancer.

I've looked into traditional diets. From my understanding, the health issues are related to refined carbs, but not directly to animal foods in general. Specifically, its animal foods high in saturated fats and uncultured dairy products.

There are many factors. But the the most central factors probably have to do with changes in substances we take into our bodies in one way or another. The cultural factors are more secondary is my guess... and more hypothetical.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    Dr. Sax did mention the increases of breast cancer.

I've looked into traditional diets. From my understanding, the health issues are related to refined carbs, but not directly to animal foods in general. Specifically, its animal foods high in saturated fats and uncultured dairy products.

There are many factors. But the the most central factors probably have to do with changes in substances we take into our bodies in one way or another. The cultural factors are more secondary is my guess... and more hypothetical.
    I do remember seeing graphs in that book where animal fats were correlated with breast cancer, and plant fats ended up resulting in dots all over the place (no pattern).

MBTI
    infp

I've heard this theory before. I think its interesting. I'm a 16 year old guy, and to some degree I can relate to some things (being unmotivated), but I'm not sure how true it all is. I'm going to look into it more.

I tend to relate to this and i am 24 years old.Maybe autosuggestion helped me stay in this stuff.Imo if i lose my childish part i lose everything that makes me different.Jokes, creativity, entuziasm and time for myself..Life that usual girls wants when they enter into a relationship is looking very boring, routine, hitting walls all time for me..This is from my little experience around me from seeing different couples ranging from parents to young couples.I had some relationships going 5 years ago and i get bored..The one that lasted was 2 weeks long ..Many normal girls don't like me..I hate my parents way of life, i hate their mentality..Maybe this triggered something overtime like a sublimal message.
    About motivation i agree also.I am very very picky about where i put my effort.Usualy my brain is not motivated with normal things even if that normal thing is very important overall.I can't force this..On the other hand when i am motivated to do something i tend to be obssesed about that thing like not sleep, all time thinking at it without forcing this, daydreaming and visions with that thing...Around my relatives , family, cousins i am the black sheep.
    I am considered the un-mature male, kiddy etc..The reasons are stupid and they repeat same same thing all over again like "you need to get a girlfriend" , "you need to get a home", "make family", "you need to choose social and monden life like buying clothes and parfumes" blabla..I told them one thing ...I wanna be a researcher and until i will not reach that field i will not get involved in relationships and other craps like this...I am preparing myself for worst case scenario when i am alone all my life like a rat lab.I will sink in my job and go around the planet and visit nature as much as i can..To live alone in this calvar you must have YOUR OWN PERSONAL preocupation very well defined.Making social life a platform for your life is not the way for this..You talk to people, you keep friends BUT you keep a BIG part of yourself intact.In this way relations between people, mariages,funerals, accidents will not bother you very much..
    And about video gaming..I prefer 1000x times to play a single player video game than living the life that my parents and most normal people live..I prefer to die instead to live knowing that i was just a counter on a white board in a company or in society statistics..
    So i make a compromise.I do what i like and i know that next day is mostly for me than money or i die...
    Of course i will get many bad words, imature etc (neverending cliches) if from 50 people i make only 1 think a little more my time here to write this post wasn't in vain....

I have a hard time believing that boys are showing a decrease in testosterone these days as I see far too many young guys in their early 20's with a seeming over abundance of the shit. They live, fight, and almost kill themselves because they seem to have too much of it.