5 38.46%
  • reality

8 61.54%
123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default do you prefer to live in illusion or reality?

illusion in this case meaning things like thinking that you understand some other person, when you actually dont, thinking that everything is fine with you and someone else when it actually isnt etc etc. vs reality where you know that you dont fully understand some other person, knowing that something is not fine between you and someone else.

my ENTP friend thinks that the illusion is all that matters, for me its the reality is all that matters.

imo if you live in illusion that for example something is fine between you and someone else, you cant do anything to fix it and you might do wrong things if you live by the illusion. or if communication doesent work, there is nothing you can do about it, if you think it does work. and if both people live in a illusion that communication does work, they can get derailed in different way in many things and in this case when the reality shows itself, you already have developed too many problems that might be too big to come over anymore. like imagine being in relationship with someone for years, then one day you realize that this person actually has no idea about who you are deep down, because he didnt understand you from the beginning and built his whole understanding about you based on illusion that doesent match the reality, and you have done the same. i think this kind of living in illusion can cause problems, but you wont know where the problem actually came from, until the reality of things hit you..

what do you guys prefer and why?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

wtf are you talking about? This is totally retarded.

I dont understand what this has to do with reality or illusion.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I prefer the reality over the illusion. The reality is likely more unpleasant but at least its the truth and INTPs do seek the truth.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    wtf are you talking about? This is totally retarded.

I dont understand what this has to do with reality or illusion.
    i dont know how to explain it to you better, unless you are more specific
    — C.G. Jung

Read

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i dont know how to explain it to you better, unless you are more specific
    come on, its not me that made the thread. What are you talking about? Its very badly defined words compared to the context you use it in. Is it subjectivity versus objectivity or pessimism versus hope ......

Phantonym

Isn't life an illusion we mistake for reality? No matter how much you try to make sense of things there is no way you could be sure that you've got it right. There is no guarantee that what you perceive as reality doesn't end up as an illusion down the road when you learn something else/new about yourself and everybody else that have an influence on your life. Everything is in a state of constant change whether you want it or not. People might lie to themselves, to each other, not even out of malice, but because they think that this is the way things really are, it's their reality that to someone else might seem like an illusion while they live their own illusion.

I would like to say that I'd prefer reality, but I can also understand the appeal of illusion. Ignorance is bliss. I can't really choose one or the other, I guess I'd like a healthy dose of them when either one is needed.

However, if you're outright ignoring the reality once it becomes evident that you've been mistaken about some things and keep on holding on to the illusions you've created, then that's a problem that doesn't go away. That is what I think people should be aware of.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    come on, its not me that made the thread. What are you talking about? Its very badly defined words compared to the context you use it in. Is it subjectivity versus objectivity or pessimism versus hope ......
    im talking about this:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be.[1] In its widest definition, reality includes everything that is and has being, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible.
    ofc you can see objective reality being the only thing that is real and subjective reality being false. but subjective reality can be correct when it comes to actual reality, so imo im not talking about subjectivity vs reality. also i dont understand what pessimism vs hope has to do with this.
    if you mean pessimism as a state of mind that forces you to live in illusion that something is wrong because you judge it before understanding and hope as a state of mind where you see the reality and hope to make it all better. you could view this kind of things in from that point of view, but thats not the reality of what im talking about.
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    Isn't life an illusion we mistake for reality? No matter how much you try to make sense of things there is no way you could be sure that you've got it right. There is no guarantee that what you perceive as reality doesn't end up as an illusion down the road when you learn something else/new about yourself and everybody else that have an influence on your life. Everything is in a state of constant change whether you want it or not. People might lie to themselves, to each other, not even out of malice, but because they think that this is the way things really are, it's their reality that to someone else might seem like an illusion while they live their own illusion.

I would like to say that I'd prefer reality, but I can also understand the appeal of illusion. Ignorance is bliss. I can't really choose one or the other, I guess I'd like a healthy dose of them when either one is needed.

However, if you're outright ignoring the reality once it becomes evident that you've been mistaken about some things and keep on holding on to the illusions you've created, then that's a problem that doesn't go away. That is what I think people should be aware of.
    i know that life is just an big illusion. but you see if you prefer reality over illusion, you want to know when you are living in illusion and how those things are in reality. and if you prefer living in illusion, you are just happy living the way things are even if it might not be the reality.

ill give an example about illusion and reality in social circles. someone might think that if they tell a lie to you about something, you would feel better about it. so whats happening here is that the person gives an illusion about the thing that he is lying about to protect you from reality of things. now the person who has been lied to is living in a illusion instead of reality. some people(like me) would prefer to live in reality instead of illusion, even tho the illusion would feel better. because if i would hear the reality i could sort things out or do what ever i would do if i would hear the real side of things.
    — C.G. Jung

Read

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Okay, I dont understand the need to choose one over the other then.

Sometimes I don't want to believe something, even if it's true. But reality has a way of confronting you, eventually. I think the problem comes when we don't update our understanding of something as new information is presented.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.