View Poll Results: read what i wrote before answering

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • illusion

5 38.46%
  • reality

8 61.54%
First 123 Last

If you can choose between a real and an illusionary utopia, you will choose the real one. When we choose illusion over reality, then it is because the actual reality is less pleasant, not because illusion were inherently better.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If you can choose between a real and an illusionary utopia, you will choose the real one. When we choose illusion over reality, then it is because the actual reality is less pleasant, not because illusion were inherently better.
    yes in very specific situations. But we go between reality and concepts of reality in a fluid motion everyday. Therefore why choose one over the other?

Sometimes concepts of reality teach me more about reality than being confronted with reality ever would.

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    But we go between reality and concepts of reality in a fluid motion everyday. Therefore why choose one over the other?
    It just happens. Illusions are realities until we notice their true nature: the illusionary is real while we experience it. We cannot decide to believe what we know to be false. So whatever we believe, in that moment it is real for us. We can decide not to investigate whether our pleasant ideas are illusions or representations of reality, but we cannot decide to believe illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    Sometimes concepts of reality teach me more about reality than being confronted with reality ever would.
    Yes, theories are designed to do that. We call it education.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Illusion. Reality breaks my heart.

Both reality and illusion are subjective terms.

Example:

Jack called me an idiot. I'm upset at Jack.

Both are statements sourced from subjective reality since the timeline of events is viewed as a snapshot. What you may have forgotten to include is that you called Jack a moron, three days ago. Widen the timeline and suddenly the reality becomes one of fantasy, where you are the innocent victim, where in reality, you're the instigator of hostilities.

So, neither. I prefer to attempt to attain as much information as possible, knowing there are no absolutes when it comes to the human condition.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Both reality and illusion are subjective terms.

Example:

Jack called me an idiot. I'm upset at Jack.
    ill quote this again since people dont seem to understand how reality is defined:

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or may be thought to be.[1] In its widest definition, reality includes everything that is and has being, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible.
    reality is not an subjective term. it doesent matter if those two statements are sourced from subjective reality, they are still real when you talk about reality. how ever if you heard jack wrong and he didnt call you an idiot, then you would be under an illusion that he thinks you are an idiot, but in reality he didnt. in this case your anger towards jack is still reality, but its based on illusion, therefore its not justified.

reality can be both subjective or objective, but when subjective reality doesent match with the objective reality, it becomes an illusion about the reality, it may look like reality but it isnt, you only think that its reality, thats why its called an illusion..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well we all live in an illusion. While we are talking here, pretending everything is fine, somewhere on the World kids are starving to death because they dont have enough food. This is reality to everyone, still it's a topic not too easily brought onto the table.

Even mbti is an illusion, even one of grandeur; cause what's really reality in it, the fact that only the belief of so many people in it made it a reality ? An apple will always fall onto the ground, but without human belief in their system of categorisation like mbti it wouldnt exist. What would you think if we for example would be all communists on the world ? Do you believe they would say then in the entp profile "they like to challenge the status qou", I doubt that. Would be more something down the line of "they enrich the people with their ideas".

I do not think you'll ever be able to separate reality from illusion, it's impossible. Still if you want to do it and have gotten infinitisemal close one day to reality, it will be really depressing and you will probably blow your own brains out
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I like illusion best, as long as I don't get fined for it.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    reality is not an subjective term. it doesent matter if those two statements are sourced from subjective reality, they are still real when you talk about reality. how ever if you heard jack wrong and he didnt call you an idiot, then you would be under an illusion that he thinks you are an idiot, but in reality he didnt. in this case your anger towards jack is still reality, but its based on illusion, therefore its not justified.

reality can be both subjective or objective, but when subjective reality doesent match with the objective reality, it becomes an illusion about the reality, it may look like reality but it isnt, you only think that its reality, thats why its called an illusion..
    What really is? But is it? A snapshot in time or a bigger picture? Is today reality or was yesterday? Were they both reality? How about history? How real is it?

Take China. Was it a reality that they chose isolation while in the heavy throes of communism or was it that they had no choice, embargoed by western nations and allies of such? Did they choose to have commerce and the friendship of the at the time USSR or were they forced into this unwelcome alliance?