User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Yes, I have experienced individuals like this. One is an ENTJ ex-boss who's a cobra, where people have uses. He's amoral instead of immoral.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Oh, I imagine I've come across individuals like this every now and then, but at the moment can't think of anyone specifically. Probably because I keep people like this far off of my radar and don't really let them into my life in the first place - and if I have to work with people with some of these tendencies, then, well, what can you do. Just try to minimize interactions/do preventative maneuvering, I guess.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

yes, my father. he's self diagnoses himself as asbergers though so that might explain a lot of it.

I don't know anyone else like that (or they do a good job hiding it, lol)
    -end of thread-

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Morally void sounds absolute. I'd assume that would be the most extreme case, while there has to be some milder forms of the same behavior. From a certain perspective every bully is basically being a psychopath at the moment they are bullying their victims.

And, yeah, evil is a big word, but it is nice to have that category in order to see there isn't anyone there.
    morally void does not sound absolute if you consider that many bullies in school have emotional issues to deal with and will eventually have deepfelt remorse for what they did to others. Those are not psychopaths/sociopaths, they are just kids that direct their own frustration on to others.

Psychopaths/sociopaths dont feel remorse for what they do to others

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I've met one before. Didn't care for hanging with him for obvious reasons.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2V0vOFexY4"]Jim Fallon on psychopaths[/YOUTUBE]
    That was interesting. Though there are plenty of non-violent psychopaths, so perhaps this brain damage is not indicated in the "average" psychopath that we're talking about here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Having a conscience is pretty binary - you either do or you don't.
    Well, it seems pretty obvious to me there are people who are more conscientious and people who don't seem to mind breaking their own rules. For myself that nagging voice is so unbearable I take it very seriously. Often I think I take it more seriously than others. Of course I can't prove that. But if it is like this, then there must be a range of different consciences

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    morally void does not sound absolute if you consider that many bullies in school have emotional issues to deal with and will eventually have deepfelt remorse for what they did to others. Those are not psychopaths/sociopaths, they are just kids that direct their own frustration on to others.

Psychopaths/sociopaths dont feel remorse for what they do to others
    I don't know. It seems that none of the disorders are on/off like that. There must be people who are slightly psychopathic.

Here's a question for you all: Do you think that psychopathy is totally different category of all the other mental issues people are having?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I know one and he's running for political office.

I think of psychopathy as an exaggerated form of dominance. You find the exact same markers: power, property, aggression, and the ability to scheme and manipulate things/people. If you think about politicians, you find a lot of the same character traits and drives.

My mom says that you can tell when you're in the presence of a psychopath because the hairs on your neck stand up. I don't experience that, but I do experience vibes from certain people. I would put money down that anyone could distinguish the body language (walk, posture) of a psychopath and non-psychopath with better-than-chance accuracy.

the defs seem very messy to me, thus to try and identify someone as a sociopath or psychopath seems like a bad idea. To me it seems sociopathic tendencies overlap with Narcsisstic Personality Disorder a great deal. I dont think these are the folks who kill other people, so much as serve as parasitic on others.

The funny thing as that I knew two people who exhibited these behaviors where I worked at. They were sleeping with each other and multiple other partners while he had been living with a women for 8 years and she was engaged. Both would lie and cheat and lived life almost entirely for themselves-yet oddly they did care for others. But it was sort of a short lived caring and once out of site they would seek the next fun thing to do which would gain them the advantage. For them life was like a game to be played according to very machiavellian rules. I called out the man on his behavior-and he seemed so confused as to why it was wrong. So not lacking a consciance, but something more complicated....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I know one and he's running for political office.

I think of psychopathy as an exaggerated form of dominance. You find the exact same markers: power, property, aggression, and the ability to scheme and manipulate things/people. If you think about politicians, you find a lot of the same character traits and drives.

My mom says that you can tell when you're in the presence of a psychopath because the hairs on your neck stand up. I don't experience that, but I do experience vibes from certain people. I would put money down that anyone could distinguish the body language (walk, posture) of a psychopath and non-psychopath with better-than-chance accuracy.
    Dominance is something most people strive for though, isnt' it? Status-seeking in one way or another. In the psychopath, that drive goes unchecked by the normal sorts of inhibitions that stop us from being complete bastards all the time. It actually makes you realise how useful stuff like guilt and shame are, when you see what someone with none is like.

That's interesting about what your mom said. I had a really powerful, visceral reaction to this person early on - like a premonition of evil or something - and I ignored it as paranoia. I should really learn to trust my gut more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.