User Tag List

123 Last

Default I need something to believe in

Anything solid I can believe I can make a lifelong pursuit. Something that is somehow both a contribution and somehow unique to myself.

Does anyone else have the same sort of need?

Has anyone found something like that for themselves?
    If so, what is it?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTP

Skiing is my pursuit in life. It's impossible to master, always different, and has a wide variety of things to do within it. (Do 50mph down a wide slope, ski through the trees, tackle moguls, terrain park stuff..etc). Most importantly, it's something I enjoy greatly.

Now, if I can find some way to make a career out of it (that pays more than minimum wage), I'll be very happy.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTJ

Journalism? Science?
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

I don't have such thing you describe but I have been lately wondering if I should have. I have now achieved most that I had planned (concerning education, family, living conditions). Now I don't have anything to wait for so I might need a sense of purpose.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Have you considered morbid avariciousness? Its popularity waxes and wanes, but as a fall-back raison d'être goes, it's preferable to marriage-and-kids in a lot of ways.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Anything solid I can believe I can make a lifelong pursuit. Something that is somehow both a contribution and somehow unique to myself.

If so, what is it?
    I recognize this need in myself as well, but I would describe it as something I feel compelled to do rather than something I feel compelled to believe in. Perhaps what you mean and what I mean are not really the same thing, or perhaps it is a subtlety that has to do with the difference in the INTP and ENTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

My Husband has been telling me for years that I needed a hobby. I finally found one and it's personal fitness.

I also don't mean to sound like a cliché but believing in yourself is the best place to start otherwise whatever you take on will most likely not be as successful.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Have you considered morbid avariciousness? Its popularity waxes and wanes, but as a fall-back raison d'etre goes, it's preferable to marriage-and-kids in a lot of ways.
    Yea, but you'd need considerable money to make sure it's worth the consequence otherwise. I'd assume it'd go both ways, anyway. It's allll about money! And freedoms!

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo

If so, what is it?
    I take comfort in knowing that I strive to learn inside class and out. It really inspires and stirs me, even if that knowledge is all for myself (I do try to share...) I am spiritual (not religious--) and I actively try to help myself grow as well as others if I'm allowed/asked. I'd say that you are unique unto yourself and so perhaps you should try to nourish yourself more or first. Take a class in anything you've found interesting before but never bothered to, for w/e reason. Or Meditate. Or try to meditate on what was important to you when you were younger or what areas you thought you might take yourself but refrained from doing so. Remember old hobbies and recall why you stopped. Was it due to age or money or lack of time? etc Is anything in your environment (family, friends, bad habits) stopping you from taking any particular path? Someimes it's not so readily apparent.

I'd say what is valuable to me or what I need will differ for you or anyone else. So it's somewhat hard telling you what you should do or what is best as it may have no significance to you. It's rather cliche :rolli: , however, you gotta "search within yourself". You know yourself and if you don't feel so confident, well, it is you who has ultimate self-knowledge and the ability to understand yourself the best. So start the search ~~ Look at people you idealise. What is it about them that you find interesting or integral to why you like them? Another alternative, if you haven't considered, is a Life Therapy coach or perhaps a Psychotherapist (they help hollistically). Maybe try one session or two, you never know. I'm thinking of doing it just to help 'air' out the direction I want to next take in my life. So, in the boat next to you .

I can't tell if you're 'feeling' a time limit but a lifelong pursuit in anything shouldn't be rushed at (assuming you are). As it is lifelong, you've got plenty of time to get to it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

If so, what is it?
    You are probably too smart to become intellectually cloistered in a small room.

There is no One satisfactory teaching for the sometimes critical, skeptical and honest thinker. Following precepts postulated by alien minds is not pursuing your own light.

You can use the wisdom or lives of great individuals and thinkers as material and inspiration, but following a recipe or mimicking will not bring the fulfillment of knowing yourself.

I have this need you expressed, it is very strong at times. I am exploring many different potential areas for a job and a type of lifestyle in the hope that I will find something congruent with my personality and aspirations. Something simple, something healthy, something gentle and fulfilling.

It is difficult to deal with the tumult of an aggressive society. Responsibilities; being answerable to people, the clash of desires and ambitions. Competition. How can it be avoided?

I don't think it should be avoided, but understood, restrained and analyzed. The thing I am working on at the moment is starting from my level to naturally be more at peace with any situation. I am not directly looking for the best career or life quality anymore. I hope that I will eventually stop running away from responsibility and competition. What I am trying to do is to become less critical and more conscious of the sometimes ugly workings of my mind.

I analyze my thinking patterns, my behavior with others, my feelings as I am working on a task, the impatience, the frustration, and do not judge them. I simply try to let them arise and become conscious of them. You can call it mindfulness, Zen, openness or whatever.

So yes, the same need and no, no answer, although my only advice is to keep exploring inwards and developing the right frame of mind to congruently and naturally flow into the right situation for your life.

MBTI
    ISTx

Just recently found a new hobby that I'm stoked on and plan to stick with throughout the rest of my physically able-bodied life - Ice Hockey. It's not that popular of a sport here in the states and honestly that makes the sport more appealing to me.