User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default communicating efficiently and effectively

i have noticed a lack of smart communication in several sub-forums... im not going to name any names, but... politics and philosophy.

the problem im seeing is that people expound on an idea to unnecessary and distracting lengths... then, over the course of the discussion the topic loses focus almost entirely because maintaining clear understanding requires painstaking amounts of interpretation. worst yet, not only do a lot of posters get into the gritty details and never give context or summarize what the hell they're talking about in the first place, they often leave out large chunks of details because maintaining the integrity of the idea with so many intricacies is difficult. this means that even if i wanted to read 2 pages of drivel, i still would have an unclear understanding... which is awesome

keep it simple and straightforward. if that is insufficient, you can always expand on something SPECIFIC to clarify that point. this keeps the topic focused because there isn't bucket loads of information that could be perceived one way or another.

long story short, this style isnt "deep" or intelligent, it's just poor communication skills. if you just want to seem smart, go get a degree at an ivy league school. of all places, your reputation is especially inconsequential here on the internet, and some of us actually get something out of effective communication so please take that into consideration.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Sorry
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

No.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I seem to recall something about hurling stones and houses made of glass...

MBTI
    yupp

hmm *rubs chin inquistivley* interesting.

(Like this?)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ

Reminds me of a certain type which finds "beauty" in following intricate thought processes.

I'm like you. I prefer concise communication.

Well, Grayscale (and others). I admittedly have poor communication skills.

I never learned a single language well (strange school situation). I also hated English in high-school, and only took one semester in college. So I wouldn't mind some help improving my communication.

However, there are a couple of stipulations:
    1. Preservation of voice. I don't want to end up only communicating the way Grayscale would like me too. I also don't want to post in a "business" tone. I get sick of that from work.
    2. Preservation of content. Sometimes I want to communicate a nuanced idea. Often, I want to give links/keywords for people to explore if they chose to do so.

So that leaves many things open for suggestion...
    Including (but not limited to):
    1. Diction-How do I make sure my tone is not misinterpreted?
    2. Brevity-A shorter post is a more readable post, imo.
    3. Completeness-As a balance for brevity, I want to make sure readers have enough information to make sense of what I said.
    4. Flow-General readability. Not monotonous. Not rambling.
    5. Grammar, spelling, punctuation-I'm not a stickler, and I make a lot of typos. But if the mistakes make the post hard to read, then I would appreciate them being pointed out.
    6. Word Usage-I don't know the definitions of all the words I am "know." I use the words that come into my head, but they may not be used properly.
    7. Redundant modifiers-Sometimes I use, "true", "actually," "really," and other words for emphasis. Other times, I use them out of habit. While preserving voice.

Some posts of mine to critique (though there are plenty to choose form, if you prefer others--please choose more recent ones):
    1. This one
    2. Long post on Objectivity vs. Relativism
    3. A political post
    4. Future posts that you think exhibit poor communication (I may regret this)

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Well, Grayscale (and others). I admittedly have poor communication skills.

I never learned a single language well (strange school situation). I also hated English in high-school, and only took one semester in college. So I wouldn't mind some help improving my communication.
    English is not your first language??!! I would NEVER have guessed!

For what it's worth, I think you have good communication skills.

heart on fire

Sounds like you don't like Ne, Gray. Pity.

I seriously doubt the motivation to engage in the type of communication you are complaining about is coming from any desire to seem "deep" or whatever. It is just the way the people like to think and they find others who enjoy this as well and not have to stop every five seconds and justify their fine points to the other person is a real freedom and pleasure not often afforded out in the world. To be able to just let the free flow of abstract ideas come and discuss is a true pleasure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Ygolo communicates just fine and has many interesting ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    English is not your first language??!! I would NEVER have guessed!

For what it's worth, I think you have good communication skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I think Ygolo communicates just fine and has many interesting ideas.
    Aaww shucks

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield