User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default Sarah Haskins' "Target: Women"

http://current.com/groups/sarah-haskins/

Have you heard of her? She makes these clever videos on how television ads target women, which can be seen at the above website.

Enjoy!

disregard, for some reason I have issues with this. Are we women so stupid that we can't siphon out the crap ourselves? Can't we just do, rather than expecting to be led whether it's for our own "good" or not?

Sorry about venting but it gets to me sometimes.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I can't watch the video now, but I'm confused about the premise. Certainly women aren't the only targets of ads - many ads are selectively targeted to men, teenagers, children, etc. Why does she focus on women? It seems kinda strange, I'd rather hear about how ads appeal to various groups rather than focusing on one.

Ads in general are pretty insidious, though. And many are ridiculous. They're sortof designed to be.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Dude, Sarah comes into my Starbucks all the time. She's super nice and SUPER preggers. I love her skits.

I love those skits. I think she's so funny!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    disregard, for some reason I have issues with this. Are we women so stupid that we can't siphon out the crap ourselves? Can't we just do, rather than expecting to be led whether it's for our own "good" or not?

Sorry about venting but it gets to me sometimes.
    Just take it for what it is. You're overthinking it. She is a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I can't watch the video now, but I'm confused about the premise. Certainly women aren't the only targets of ads - many ads are selectively targeted to men, teenagers, children, etc. Why does she focus on women? It seems kinda strange, I'd rather hear about how ads appeal to various groups rather than focusing on one.

Ads in general are pretty insidious, though. And many are ridiculous. They're sortof designed to be.
    Always watch a video before commenting on it. In this case there are many videos.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Dude, Sarah comes into my Starbucks all the time. She's super nice and SUPER preggers. I love her skits.
    Cool. Nice to see you around, friend.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

The way I understood the concept, it is neither about warning helpless female victims of advertisement nor about analyzing how advertisement is tailored to a specific target group but about the ridiculously stereotypical and very limited concept of femininity that these ads transmit. She makes fun of the idea that women are all about buying shoes, having diet issues, dreaming of a white wedding etc.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Oh, that makes more sense. Although ads do portray a stereotyped masculinity (or lack thereof, in some cases) as well. The OP didn't mention it was a comedian which changes things.

I'll try to remember to watch it when I'm home since it does sound interesting.
    -end of thread-

You're right, I was overthinking the clip. But I'll admit to not finding the two skits watched as funny or clever. They're more "in your face" kind of humour.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Oh, that makes more sense. Although ads do portray a stereotyped masculinity (or lack thereof, in some cases) as well.
    Agreed. Advertisers are adept at playing on people's insecurities. If you don't feel inadequate already, they'll do everything in their power to bring you down. Supply and demand. If there is no demand for their supply, then they will manipulate consumers' fears to create one. There's no question that mainstream marketing aims to reinforce stereotypes. A controlled population is an obedient one.

I found this particularly amusing.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ7nBugejXs"]Broadview Security[/YOUTUBE]